Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2022 Christmas Dinner

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12022 Christmas Dinner Empty 2022 Christmas Dinner Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll be cooking a prime rib of beef at Lyn's tomorrow. It's our Florida custom to spend Christmas Day together, as we've done most years unless one of us was traveling. This year another Toledo, Ohio couple of friends, Barb & her daughter, Cathy, will be joining us.

I'm planning on doing the 'low & slow' / reverse sear method this year.....5-1/2 pound prime rib roast in the oven at 225° for about 2 hours (give or take) until it temps at 123°. Then it will rest while the sides get crisped up in the oven and finally the oven will be blasted at 500° to sear the roast for 15 minutes or so.

Besides the roast beef we'll have mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn and a green salad.

I made the mashed potato casserole, using butter 'stewed' onions, cream cheese, sour cream & half & half. For special occasions I run the potatoes through the food mill to assure a silky soft texture.

The green bean casserole will be the blanched home grown green beans and will be made with a mushroom infused cream (with dried mushrooms steeped in cream), sliced & browned crimini mushrooms, slivered almonds and the requisite French's Fried Onions.

Lyn has a dessert planned that will double as Bill's birthday cake as Christmas Day is also his birthday.

22022 Christmas Dinner Empty Re: 2022 Christmas Dinner Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas ~ our day was relaxing and most enjoyable, spent at Lyn & Bill's home and celebrated along with Toledo friends Barb and her daughter, Cathy.

Lyn & Bill always purchase the beef roast (as Bill's Christmas/Birthday gift) and Lyn decorated their home & set a beautiful table (that I forgot to take a pic of.....sigh). Lyn had a full charcuterie board for enjoying with cocktails. She heated some frozen corn for Bill because it's his favorite vegetable and also made a Cherry Cheesecake for dessert.

Barb & Cathy contributed a tasty Mandarin Orange & Candied Almond salad and a vegetable tray to nosh on before dinner.

I prepared the mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole the day before so all we had to do was reheat them as the prime rib roasted before slicing.

So, here's a bunch of the pictures I DID remember to take.....

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_25

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_26

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_27

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_28

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_29

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_30

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_31

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_32

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_33

2022 Christmas Dinner 12_25_34

Imelda HL likes this post

32022 Christmas Dinner Empty Re: 2022 Christmas Dinner Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:34 am

JanaAZ

I did the low and slow reverse sear method this year. I was going to sous vide it but didn’t have enough time. We were pretty happy with how it turned out. Glad yours was good too, Beth. 2022 Christmas Dinner 8d41f810

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum