Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tomato Garden

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Tomato Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomato Garden Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thinking of trying some plants from seeds for the next growing season as I will be in the villa starting in September. I figure I can play with the seeds as they cost next to nothing, and if they die, well, then I'll go get some plants to put in...I will only need a couple.

Moving from Ohio to Florida is going to be a huge learning curve on the planting/growing seasons. But now it will be more of a hobby and something to play around with instead of a necessary food procurement project. There is always the huge farmers market/flea market 5 miles down the highway if my stuff doesn't pan out.

Right now our courtyard is basically concrete patio/walkways with decorative stone everyplace else, a few bushes and trees, but nothing exciting. I want to plant flowering perennials interspersed with vegetables for variety. At least that's my plan....gotta figure out the irrigation system, too. Lots to occupy my time, that's for sure

27Tomato Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomato Garden Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:43 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Beth, there are lots of varieties for growing in containers -- look at Burpee online. They even have sweet corn. I put some container peas in 20 gallon grow bags but they didn't do so well as I got them in late and it was too hot for them. You can grow potatoes, corn and all sorts of things in the grow bags and you will start to see them on sale now that summer is more than half over. Southern Living might be a good resource for you, online and bookwise.

28Tomato Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomato Garden Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Southern Living magazine is the one magazine I plan to subscribe to. I've let all my other subscriptions expire. And their online site is chock full of information. I just need to get down to the villa and relax enough to start to play.

29Tomato Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomato Garden Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

thesweetestpea wrote:Beth, there are lots of varieties for growing in containers -- look at Burpee online.  They even have sweet corn.  I put some container peas in 20 gallon grow bags but they didn't do so well as I got them in late and it was too hot for them.  You can grow potatoes, corn and all sorts of things in the grow bags and you will start to see them on sale now that summer is more than half over.  Southern Living might be a good resource for you, online and bookwise.  
I've never seen "grow bags" but am very interested. Can you direct me to a site that sells them so I can scope them out? Many thanks, Pea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum