Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hasselback Russet Potato Gratin

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hasselback Russet Potato Gratin Empty Hasselback Russet Potato Gratin Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

You may remember Brian isn't a potato eater unless they're really crispy, thin (and in most cases overcooked) and covered with cheese but I love potatoes no matter what you do, or don't do to them. It's funny as whenever I see a recipe or a picture of Hasselback potatoes, I think of you, Norm, saying you couldn't stand Elisabeth Hasselback, who I also can't stand.

Anyway, I saw this recipe for a version of Hasselback potatoes in a casserole with cream in them that I might try one day that Brian might eat, especially if I go a little heavier with the cheese. I thought I'd post it for the rest of you to try or at least see.  

Hasselback Russet Potato Gratin Bp12

Hasselback Russet Potato Gratin
6 to 8 servings. Recipe from finecooking.com

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 Tablespoon toasted dill seed
1 Tablespoon whole-grain mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
Fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup finely grated aged Cheddar (about 1 oz.)
1 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill

1. Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart baking dish with the butter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cream, garlic, dill seed, mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
3. Cut the tapered ends off the potatoes and discard. Thinly slice the potatoes crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices best done with a mandolin. While slicing, sprinkle the potatoes with lemon juice, and arrange them in the baking dish as pictured. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes, and top with the cheese. Put the gratin on a rimmed baking sheet, and transfer to the oven. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 1-1/2 hours.
4. Remove from the oven, and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Top with the dill and serve.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum