Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pane Biano

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pane Biano Empty Pane Biano Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Pane Biano Pane_b11

Isn't this just the PRETTIEST bread you've ever seen?  I recently got a new catalog from King Arthur Flour and it was on the cover. I am determined to make this so I thought you bread bakers, especially YOU, Norm, might like to make it as well. Beth, I know it has cheese in it but I think you like mozzarella and Parmesan so you could either omit the cheese -- a crime! -- or put whatever cheese you do like in there.  

Those of you who like to bake cakes, breads, scones, and just about anything, KingArthurFlour.com has wonderful recipes for all of these things. Plus they have bakers right there to help you via phone or chat, too, if you need help (people like me, a novice baker, really appreciate the at the ready help). And if you read the reviews of a recipe before you make the item, you'll see problems others may have had and the staff's solution to their problem.  Love that website but I always order too much stuff when I go there!  

Pane Biano
Recipe from KingArthurFlour.com/Recipe by Dianna Wara of Washington, Illinois/Took First Place, National Festival of Breads.

This recipe makes a tasty loaf filled with fresh basil, tomatoes, garlic, and shredded cheese; the bread has wonderful soft texture and is packed with flavor. The unique shape is simple to achieve and makes an impressive presentation.

Dough:
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour*
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/3 cup lukewarm water
3 Tablespoons olive oil
*See "Tips" below.
Filling:
3/4 cup shredded Italian-blend cheese or the cheese of your choice
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes or your own oven-roasted tomatoes
3 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, green or purple

1. Combine all of the dough ingredients in a bowl (or the bucket of your bread machine), and mix and knead — by hand, using a mixer, or in your bread machine set on the dough cycle — to make a smooth, very soft dough. The dough should stick a bit to the bottom of the bowl if you're using a stand mixer.
2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes, or until it's doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, thoroughly drain the tomatoes, patting them dry. Use kitchen shears to cut them into smaller bits.
4. Gently deflate the dough. Flatten and pat it into a 22" x 8 1/2" rectangle. Spread with the cheese, tomatoes, garlic, and basil.
5. Starting with one long edge, roll the dough into a log the long way. Pinch the edges to seal. Place the log seam-side down on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Using kitchen shears, start 1/2" from one end and cut the log lengthwise down the center about 1" deep, to within 1/2" of the other end.
7. Keeping the cut side up, form an "S" shape. Tuck both ends under the center of the "S" to form a "figure 8;" pinch the ends together to seal.
8. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, 45 to 60 minutes.
9. While the loaf is rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.
10. Uncover the bread, and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting it with foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent over-browning.
11. Remove the bread from the oven, and transfer it to a rack to cool. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store, well-wrapped, at room temperature for a couple of days; freeze for longer storage.

Tips from our bakers:
*Substitute all-purpose flour 1:1 for the bread flour in the recipe, if desired. Reduce the water to 1/4 cup.
**When making anything with yeast, including this bread, let the dough rise to the point the recipe says it should, e.g., "Let the dough rise until it's doubled in bulk." Rising times are only a guide; there are so many variables in yeast baking that it's impossible to say that bread dough will ALWAYS double in bulk in a specific amount of time.
**Chop your basil with kitchen shears, just as you do the sun-dried tomatoes.

2Pane Biano Empty Re: Pane Biano Sat May 05, 2018 12:54 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Crybaby wrote:Pane Biano Pane_b11

Isn't this just the PRETTIEST bread you've ever seen?  I recently got a new catalog from King Arthur Flour and it was on the cover. I am determined to make this so I thought you bread bakers, especially YOU, Norm, might like to make it as well. Beth, I know it has cheese in it but I think you like mozzarella and Parmesan so you could either omit the cheese -- a crime! -- or put whatever cheese you do like in there.

Did you wind up making this, Michelle?  It sounds absolutely fabulous, and yes, this is a gorgeous bread! The swirl shape is quite the presentation!
I love King Arthur.  Their recipes are awesome!  I've used many of them through the years.  Their gingerbread recipe is darn near about the best I've ever had in my life. (and for years I thought my own gingerbread recipe just couldn't be beat)  Their catalog is dangerous for me, lol!!  As much as I love baking, I have to try and restrain myself.  I used to be an avid baker, but I've cut back tremendously because of my diabetes.  At any rate, when I DO bake, it's almost always with King Arthur's white wheat flour.  OY, it's tough, because our darling 5 year old grandson is in our care 4 - 5 days a week, and I do love to bake with him and for him. Smile

3Pane Biano Empty Re: Pane Biano Sun May 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

muzicgirl wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Pane Biano Pane_b11

Did you wind up making this, Michelle?  It sounds absolutely fabulous, and yes, this is a gorgeous bread! The swirl shape is quite the presentation!
I love King Arthur.  Their recipes are awesome!  I've used many of them through the years.  Their gingerbread recipe is darn near about the best I've ever had in my life. (and for years I thought my own gingerbread recipe just couldn't be beat)  Their catalog is dangerous for me, lol!!  As much as I love baking, I have to try and restrain myself.  I used to be an avid baker, but I've cut back tremendously because of my diabetes.  At any rate, when I DO bake, it's almost always with King Arthur's white wheat flour.  OY, it's tough, because our darling 5 year old grandson is in our care 4 - 5 days a week, and I do love to bake with him and for him. Smile

Not yet but I still hope to. I know what you mean about it being hard to resist bread, especially home-baked bread! I've never given much time to baking over the years but last year I was the LAST person on earth to get a KitchenAid stand mixer -- I knew it would be too heavy for us to move around and I really didn't want to keep it on the counter but I jury-rigged a closet off my kitchen into a pantry (it still houses the gas water heater) and found a rolling cart that fits my "pantry." So now I just keep the mixer on top of the rolling cart and roll that puppy to the place in the kitchen that's convenient for me to plug it in and use it. So I've been doing a bit more of baking than ever, though nothing that could qualify me as a baker per se.

But when I saw this bread, I'm just going to HAVE to make it one day, and one day soon. My husband Brian will probably help as he's also developed a bit of an interest in baking -- from mixes but is always interested when I'm making scones, bread, cake, etc. He's underweight right now due to illness so he can stand to gain even though he's recently put on 15 lbs. Me? I'm where I want to be so I've got to make sure I don't put on anything more than 2 or 3 lbs., which I can then shed with no problem. But man -- when you smell bread baking, it's almost impossible not to indulge!

I agree TOTALLY about recipes from King Arthur's website, as I've never tried one that wasn't five star worthy. And yes, I know just what you mean about it being a dangerous catalog. I just recently went to their website to place an order for Vegalene Food Release Spray -- a can is $10.95 but it's 21 ounces and lasts FOREVER compared to a can of Pam. Plus it doesn't leave any residue on pans you run through the dishwasher, another plus. So of course I was going to order two cans and then, "of course" I had to pick up a few more things in order to get free shipping. And that's how it usually goes. Brian's as bad as me and when the box came, he was right there to see what I'd gotten. And I'm no fool as I made sure I got something for him that he'd like. Razz Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum