Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ready to sell

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ready to sell Empty Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

On Friday I had the auction people here to talk about having an estate sale. I need to get rid of 45 years worth of trash,,,er, I mean....TREASURES! They took a look around and said we had more than enough for a good sale. We told our girls they could have any anything they want but they need to decide now as the auction people are going to start organizing and sorting soon. DD#1 came with oldest GS yesterday and loaded up my Hoosier cabinet - an old kitchen cabinet I used as a china cabinet for years and years. She said she's going to put it in her basement and turn it into a gift wrapping center since the porcelain top pulls out and there is a lot of storage for all the needed supplies. She also took my marble topped dresser I used as a sideboard server in my dining room to use it the same. The only other pieces she wants are my kitchen baking cabinet and an antique chair my grandmother put a new cane seat on. She's the only one interested in our antique stuff. DD#2 couldn't care less about old stuff and just wants our living room furniture because it's better than what she has.

The next couple months should be interesting as we weed through all the stuff. There is so much trash it will be interesting to see how they organize everything for a sale. It was just too overwhelming for us to consider on our own. The main thing with an auction is everything will be sold and removed as opposed to a garage/tag sale where people only want the nice things and then you're left with the trash to get rid of. I'm hoping they find about a dozen items that are "hidden gems" and sell for thousands. Who knows what wonders are hiding amongst all our stuff? lol!

2Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:53 am

NormM

NormM

Hoosier cabinets are neat and would have brought some $$ I bet. I don't have one but I do have coffee and tea canisters and a salt and pepper shaker to go with one. If she ever wants to restore it, they sell parts for it at

http://www.kennedyhardware.com/hoosier-cabinet_parts/

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

boy wish I could be there. I would love your trash lol.

last few weeks my kids have had to deal with their dads estate.Un real mess.I would have liked to had a uhaul ..Man I would have loaded up..

I to have so much 'stuff' my wanting to move makes me ill.I hold on to stuff for the memories & it holds a great time in my life. Also what I paid vs what someone else thinks it is worth do not mesh..

Most of my junk lol is high end quality furniture, I am not about it to give it away.
I really really downsized when I moved here & still I have NO room.no garage.. no outside storage.no laundry/mud room.NO LINEN closet..NO walkin closets...

I want to move so bad but what it will take makes me ill......

4Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Hoosier cabinets are neat and would have brought some $$ I bet. I don't have one but I do have coffee and tea canisters and a salt and pepper shaker to go with one. If she ever wants to restore it, they sell parts for it at

http://www.kennedyhardware.com/hoosier-cabinet_parts/

I don't know how to copy a pic on this Ipad but there's a pic of the two pieces DD took. Dane refinished the Hoosier years ago as a Mothers Day gift for me. I'd rather DD have it than the $$

It didn't have the flour sifter so we put shelves in to store glasses. The roll top still worked and it still had the original pull out cutting board under the porcelain top, which also pulled out for a larger kitchen work surface.

5Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:boy wish I could be there. I would love your trash lol.

last few weeks my kids have had to deal with their dads estate.Un real mess.I would have liked to had a uhaul ..Man I would have loaded up..

I to have so much 'stuff' my wanting to move makes me ill.I hold on to stuff for the memories & it holds a great time in my life. Also what I paid vs what someone else thinks it is worth do not mesh..

Most of my junk lol is high end quality furniture, I am not about it to give it away.
I really really downsized when I moved here & still I have NO room.no garage.. no outside storage.no laundry/mud room.NO LINEN closet..NO walkin closets...

I want to move so bad but what it will take makes me ill......

I'm hoping some of the old railroad lanterns or brass bird cages or antique scales will be really valuable to someone. It sure would be nice to reap the benefits of hanging on to all that junque for the last 45 years, especially since I finally convinced Dane it's just "stuff" and we can't take it to our retirement villa.

6Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 pm

JanaAZ

When we moved last year our house sold so fast, we didn't have time to do anything but give things to Goodwill. I know we could have made tons of money.

Years ago before all these programs that talk about trash to treasure, we threw away things like an old (and I do mean old) typewriter, a 1950's pinball machine....stuff like that. Now I'm kicking myself. I also threw away some really old cast iron pans. Who knew????

7Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The auction people are going to go nuts with me. I told them I watch "pickers" and there are 3 old rusty bicycles behind the garage and I expect $300 each for them ....lol

The big draw items are the 1956 International pickup ready for restoration and the 1965 Chevy Impala SS convertible.

8Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

The auction people are going to go nuts with me. I told them I watch "pickers" and there are 3 old rusty bicycles behind the garage and I expect $300 each for them ....lol

I had to laugh, as I watched several episodes in a row of American Pickers last night -- LOVE that show even though I'd rather slit my wrists than go to a garage sale!

9Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The auction lady came back and warned me about the people who will stop before the sale and want to just "look"...no way!

10Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:48 pm

NormM

NormM

They -the auction people- should have a period of time for people to look before the auction starts.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

11Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There will be at least 2-3 hrs. for looking.  She just wanted to warn me about those who would try to buy before the actual auction.  Since we live across from the police I'm going to ask them to just drive through the horseshoe driveway a few times a shift once the advertising signs go up so we don't get ripped off.  Everything will be locked in the garages but sometimes people get crazy....I'll be so glad when its all over.

12Ready to sell Empty Re: Ready to sell Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:There will be at least 2-3 hrs. for looking.  She just wanted to warn me about those who would try to buy before the actual auction.  Since we live across from the police I'm going to ask them to just drive through the horseshoe driveway a few times a shift once the advertising signs go up so we don't get ripped off.  Everything will be locked in the garages but sometimes people get crazy....I'll be so glad when its all over.
Then it's time for Dane to get the gun. Just walk around shining it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum