Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olive Oil cake

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1  Olive Oil cake Empty Olive Oil cake Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Olive Oil cake Ricotta%20grape5

OO and ricotta cake with rhubarb reduction jam..

2  Olive Oil cake Empty Re: Olive Oil cake Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Rhubarb sauce.....It's spring, to be sure!

I miss pulling rhubarb. It grew all around a telephone pole out next to the driveway next to the fuel tank (Dad had a huge tank that Landmark refilled ~ for the tractors and our cars. When my brothers became teenagers Dad couldn't figure out where all the gas went......their friends would come and fill up when they knew no one was home (no cars in the driveway)

Ah, but I digress.....

Rhubarb custard pie was the first thing I'd make. Then, just because you had to keep pulling the rhubarb so it'd keep growing, I would make huge vats of rhubarb sauce to go into the freezer in quart containers.....ate just like applesauce ~ sometimes we'd mix the two. Man, that's some good eatin' !!!

3  Olive Oil cake Empty Re: Olive Oil cake Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:06 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Never had rhubarb.....what does it taste like..

Sorry, I am kind of mouthy (typey) tonight cuz I had to go to a family member 'Baby" shower....lots of water under the bridge, but I did the 'right' thing....eventhough I still feel like an outsider in my own blood family....
sorry---just hijacked the thread....I am bad..

4  Olive Oil cake Empty Re: Olive Oil cake Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Rhubarb is a tart "fruit"....you cook/eat the stalk of the plant, the leaves are poisonous (or so my Grandma said.....NO ONE argues with what Grandma says or questions it!). It tastes like rhubarb. I cannot think of anything that even comes close in flavor.

The most 'popular' thing made from it is, I think, a strawberry-rhubarb pie (baked). It is often mixed with other fruits because it is so tart. And as far as I know, every recipe using it is cooked, I don't think I've ever seen where it was used raw.

5  Olive Oil cake Empty Re: Olive Oil cake Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've never had it either. The first time I saw it -- in a grocery in Chicago -- I didn't know what it was. My friend was hysterical because I thought it was orange celery!

6  Olive Oil cake Empty Re: Olive Oil cake Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

cookingirl wrote:Never had rhubarb.....what does it taste like..

Sorry, I am kind of mouthy (typey) tonight cuz I had to go to a family member 'Baby" shower....lots of water under the bridge, but I did the 'right' thing....eventhough I still feel like an outsider in my own blood family....
sorry---just hijacked the thread....I am bad..

LOL I just saw this Cyn.. I miss so much when I use my Iphone.

If you see it buy a handful. It is wonderful.tart so add sweetner.Google it and you will get tons of recipes.
Or if you want I can give you some recipes.

Yeah the family thing... Rolling Eyes   Olive Oil cake 1838020472  Been there...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum