Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medical tables are screwy.....

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to go to see my doc today for my 6-month check up. She's a lovely young physician from Puerto Rico, BUT she's extremely thin. I hate her....no, really, I don't. I just hate the fact that she cannot keep weight on because her metabolism is going at a really high rate ~ and MY metabolism rate is like frozen molasses.......S * L * O * W....

She had the report of my blood work and was very happy with all the numbers being in the normal range, excepting my BMI that was still slightly elevated. But she was happy I had lost some weight and said if I lost another 4 lbs. my BMI would be back down in the range that is no longer considered "fat".

If I lose another 4 pounds I will still be fat. No way would my weight be considered slim. I want to be down 20 pounds....but at the rate I'm going it will take me over 5 years to get to that goal.

Then, to add insult to injury...it was time for my flu and pneumonia injections. One in each arm. I bumped into the doorway and thought I was going to cry. I thought it would be a good idea to move the muscles after getting the injections so I went to exercise class. Now I'm thinking I should have just come home and taken a nap ~ with ice packs on my arms. And 800 mg Advil. And a good stiff Bloody Mary.

2Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

pneumonia injections every year?

I guess I am not thin skinned. 3 or more finger sticks and insulin stick at bed time..Needles are so thin I do not even feel it.Now when I got my shingles shot,back of my arm, I cussed..

3Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked about the shingles vaccine but she did not know if it would all be covered by Medicare. I won't pay for it if it's not. Dane got his, and it was all covered, at the VA clinic.

I think this is the last pneumonia shot I'll need. Unless, of course, they decide the risk is too great and then they'll want to give it again...

4Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Had to have a scrip and it was $35.Not everything is covered and you have to pay co pay.

5Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a Medicare suppliment plan so if it's something that is covered by Medicare then my suppliment will pay the other 20%. If it's not covered by Medicare then the suppliment won't pay anything.

6Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

What do you have?  I really really need one..I made the mistake of giving out my cell # to one of them and my phone blew up with calls.I will not do that again..

7Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My friend, Barb, has a brother who is an independent insurance agent. He went through all the options I had and I came to the decision to go with the suppliment. Since I was turning 65 this year there were no medical questions to answer, etc.

I have a Transamerica/ Stonebridge Life policy. Runs me $187+ a month and will cover any Dr. or facility that accepts Medicare. So, if I have a medical problem and I want to get a second opinion at Shand's or Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic, I'm covered. Barb has the same policy and after she was on it for a year she had to be treated for breast cancer - had surgery. She said she didn't have to pay for anything. The entire cost was covered between Medicare & the suppliment.

I have a Humana prescription plan. $15/month and all my meds (3 that I take all the time) are free via the mail-in program. Short term scrips for a month or 2 are available at WalMart for usually $4 or less, depending upon what it's for. I'm sure there are more expensive scripts but for right now I'm happy to be saving since it only costs me $15.

So if you're looking for a policy, contact an independant insurance agent in your area and find out what they offer. The independents can usually find a policy that will be least expensive for your situation. I know my agent said if I wanted to change to another company after experiencing a problem or illness there was a chance they could turn me down, that I'd have to answer a bunch of medical questions, etc. But the company I'm with now is not able to cancel me just for an illness and they had to accept me since it was my first time changing from private pay insurance (COBRA) when I became eligible for Medicare.

8Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 pm

NormM

NormM

I got a shingles shot a year, maybe two ago. My dr. office couldn't give it. I had to go to a pharmacy to get it and they charged for it. I don't remember how much but I seem to recall that it was expensive.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I woke up this morning with flu like symptoms....darn side effects!

I had a stiff neck, my arms felt like they both had burning tennis balls under the skin and my whole body ached.

I took 4 Ibuprofen and I've been napping off and on all day.

I called the Dr. office to report my symptoms and was told that what I had was very possibly side effects of getting the injections. Just keep taking the Ibuprophin and I should feel better in a couple days.

Tonight my ears are 'stuffy'.

Crap.

10Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I will never get a flu shot.. Evil or Very Mad

11Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had flu shots in the past....just not last year because they were not available when I went in for my checkup. Never had a problem. Also never had the flu.

I should be fine in a couple days.

12Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:36 pm

NormM

NormM

I just started getting flu shots in the last couple of years. Luckily I haven't felt any side effects.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

13Medical tables are screwy..... Empty Re: Medical tables are screwy..... Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Never had the flu..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]