Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Downloading Windows 10 Now!

+4
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I can see where most on this forum, use an Apple ( Mac )
computer. My and Tina's are PC's
I am runnin Windows 8.1, and Tina Windows 7.
Well, right now, I am downloading windows 10, on my computer only.

I will see how it is, before downloading on Tina's PC.

Today, Tina was at the Verizon store, and swapped her regular flip open regular cell phone to a Apple i5s smart phone. It was a free phone from DIL's, because she upgraded to the new Samsung 6 ? something. I am using an Anroid Mini smart phone. It's not bad, but it is a battery power hog.

I will say one thing. The iphone really is user friendly.... hahahahah.... The funny thing, is we could not get the phone to ring. Poor Tina was frustrated.... We called DS Jimmy, and he laughed.
He said, "Dad...look on the side top, and there is a baby switch. What color is the button ?" I said...RED. He said flick it sideways. I did, and the phone ring sound came back.  Nice if I could see well enough to see the switch! Dummy Me.

Well.... the download is 75% done.... so I hope it works better than this windows 8.1 ???
They say the new OS 10, is a lot faster. Time will tell.

Any one else using a PC Windows OS?

2Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:31 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm on Windows 7. My computer is old and I'm not having any problems. I'm afraid if I try to switch to 10 there will be HE*L to pay. And I do NOT want to purchase a new computer right now.

3Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm on Windows 7.  My computer is old and I'm not having any problems.  I'm afraid if I try to switch to 10 there will be HE*L to pay.  And I do NOT want to purchase a new computer right now.

I hear you! .... from the looks of things, I may just go back to the 8.1 ............... I am trying to figure the silly stuff out today!

4Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:54 pm

JanaAZ

Ive got 8.1 on mine, too. DH has 7. I'm waiting for the major bugs to get fixed on 10....then I'll download.

I'll be watching for how you like 10.

One thing I'm not happy about....I paid a lot of $$$ for touchscreen and now, with 10, it won't matter. Oh well.

BTW---I figured out how to get the start menu on 8.1 so I'm not too unhappy if I have to keep it.

5Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JanaAZ wrote:Ive got 8.1 on mine, too.  DH has 7.  I'm waiting for the major bugs to get fixed on 10....then I'll download.

I'll be watching for how you like 10.  

One thing I'm not happy about....I paid a lot of $$$ for touchscreen and now, with 10, it won't matter.  Oh well.

BTW---I figured out how to get the start menu on 8.1 so I'm not too unhappy if I have to keep it.

Well Guess What? ..... I removed the windows 10, and went back to my original OS of Windows 8.1....
Windows 10 is all been drifted to the left side, in such a manner that you have to scroll for apps. Too Much Searching. Also, the other programs like Dell and Norton, were blasting me for updating their stuff to work with Windows 10 .

On windows 8.1, at least the programs and apps are on one big page. I don't have the touch screen, but at least I could swipe a bar with the mouse to slide and get what I need by the picture icon, and not just a word type.
The back and forward arrows are small line font. No red X or - at the top r/h corner either.

6Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

See.... this is the Windows 8.1

Downloading Windows 10 Now! X2mDUG

See how the apps are on the whole screen to select? ... Well on Windows 10, they are in a narrow screen on the left that has to be scrolled up and down to find the app you want to use.
Even the favorites bar is short, and lists only like 20 instead ov like 50 on the whole length of the screen on the right side. Too much scrolling. Downloading Windows 10 Now! 2787578702

7Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

my Father in-law downloaded window 10 about 2 weeks ago, it messed up his computer, and somehow the antivirus was switched off without them knowing it, they called Dirk and said that their computer was acting up, lots of unwanted things popped upon their screen, so yesterday while we were there, Dirk uninstalled Window 10 and found out that their computer was not protected for more than 2 weeks, fortunately they did not click on the unsafe sites.. and Dirk cleaned up all the unwanted things on their computer

I have window 8.1 too and I don't thing I like to upgrade it to window 10, I'm not a big fan of changes
Mad

8Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Some day, if Lord be willing, I want to get an apple computer.

I would like to know though.... "Can it Core a Apple?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySVFjfHSqs

9Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 pm

NormM

NormM

I have OX Yosemite 10.10.4 on mine.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

10Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have OX Yosemite 10.10.4 on mine.

I have to research them. I have to go on line, and see if there is a tutorial that shows how the Apple features work.

11Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 pm

NormM

NormM

I should have said OS X Yosemite. The things about Mac OS is that they send updates automatically. You can choose to install them or not but they don't cost more.

12Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I should have said OS X Yosemite.  The things about Mac OS is that they send updates automatically.  You can choose to install them or not but they don't cost more.

Windows Microsoft does that too....but you have to select auto, or manually after your accepting the updates.

I am using Google Chrome as my browser now. It's faster than IE 11. The windows browswer!

13Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:27 pm

NormM

NormM

I use Chrome too.

14Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok tell me why you use goggle chrome.  I still have wi 7 vista .. Firefox.   old school here I still use AOL> lol

Apple to expensive for me..

15Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on my MacBook Pro laptop

Jimmy, It is really easy to use a Mac. Expensive, but so much easier than dealing with a Windows PC.

Automatic updates; which are very easy to install.
lots of times, I just shut it off and they are installed automatically. Other times , I just check for updates and download what I want.

AS someone I know said about her first Apple computer; "It just makes sense"...

I am not certain about their web browser though. It is Safari.

Thinking about getting Firefox or Google Chrome. The good part of having Apple computer and phone is that they are synced together. I can also use my computer as a phone. It is pretty cool.

Jimmy, go to the Apple website. They have many tutorials and can take you on a tour of the operating system.

Yes, they are expensive, but I think worth the investment.
And their technical support is in the United States!!!! Not oversees.
So you can understand them. They are not limited in the amount of time they devote to your issue.

I think Windows is trying to emulate the Apple OS X system.

16Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on my MacBook Pro laptop

Jimmy, It is really easy to use a Mac. Expensive, but so much easier than dealing with a Windows PC.

Automatic updates; which are very easy to install.
lots of times, I just shut it off and they are installed automatically. Other times , I just check for updates and download what I want.

AS someone I know said about her first Apple computer; "It just makes sense"...

I am not certain about their web browser though. It is Safari.

Thinking about getting Firefox or Google Chrome. The good part of having Apple computer and phone is that they are synced together. I can also use my computer as a phone. It is pretty cool.

Jimmy, go to the Apple website. They have many tutorials and can take you on a tour of the operating system.

Yes, they are expensive, but I think worth the investment.
And their technical support is in the United States!!!! Not oversees.
So you can understand them. They are not limited in the amount of time they devote to your issue.

I think Windows is trying to emulate the Apple OS X system.

So true. It's like a showdown.
What makes me mad, is every year, I have to purchase the license to keep Office365 on my computer. All that just to use WORD....which is to compose like letters and etc. My old computer has WORD since I purchased it, and I never have to pay more.

I have Comcast ( Xfinity ) now, as my internet provider. I do use Comcast Mail as my mail server. We have three different accounts ( e-mail addresses )
I have mine...like for my forum stuff and Automotive repairs stuff, and whatever.
Tina has her own, with like Thousands of religious and cooking stuff. OMG

Then we have the General one with all the buying and ebay and amazon stuff, with the jokes we forward. That e-mail address has like 200 hits a day.

The great thing, is we don't store the e-mails on the computer. They are stored on comcasts servers. That way they don't reduce the space of memory on my computers.

Years ago, we only used what they called Windows Mail... Crude, and easy to lose your stuff if you click the wrong things.
At work, they made us use Outlook Express. That way, they could monitor what we did on the computer; as far as work letters sent etc. That way, it was on the big work servers and saved.

I do have a G-mail and a Yahoo account, but I never use it. Them.

17Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:16 pm

NormM

NormM

My son used to work at a place that sold both PCs and Apples. He said the PCs were cheaper but the Apples had about twice the life expectancy.

18Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:My son used to work at a place that sold both PCs and Apples.  He said the PCs were cheaper but the Apples had about twice the life expectancy.

In what respect Norm? .... Mechanically? ....Software into the extended future?

19Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:33 pm

NormM

NormM

I am not sure. I supposed he meant they don't need to be replaced as often.

20Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I am not sure. I supposed he meant they don't need to be replaced as often.

I watched the tutorials on the apple website, and they did show how the boards and components, are designed so small, that there are no big cooling fans to dissipate heat.

My Nephew worked for Cisco ( not the Kid ) in Maryland, and he said, A Mac with a windows OS is the way to go. ??? He said, the Mac can handle the OS much faster.

21Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:23 pm

NormM

NormM

It was over ten years ago that he worked there. When I was teaching and had a Mac at home and a PC at school, I had both Windows and Mac on my computer. I could bring home stuff from school, open it on the PC side and work on it or transfer it over to the Mac side and back again so I could take it back to school.

22Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

that went right over my dumb head.. Shocked

23Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:44 pm

NormM

NormM

I meant my Mac had two operating systems on it. I could do work on it with the Mac operating system then turn it into PC so my computer at school could read it. PC's can't read Mac (or couldn't back then) but my Mac could read PC; translate it to Mac and back to PC again.

24Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, I understood what you said! Downloading Windows 10 Now! 2876911673

Jimmy, I have a question. How is the mail from Comcast stored on it's server and not on your computer? My Comcast mail is stored on my computer. I have to manually delete it. Once it is gone, it is gone.

I have a mail account in Windows Live and Yahoo.
I have the Mac set up so that all the mail comes to one Account. In the Apple mail. Comcast is my main account though. It used to be Windows, but I did not like the format so I am transitioning it over.

25Downloading Windows 10 Now! Empty Re: Downloading Windows 10 Now! Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a PC running Windows 7. I am waiting on installing 10 so I can have the kinks worked out. I know Mac is better but it costs twice as much or more than my PC and I can't pay that for a computer. One thing I don't like about Mac is that some software doesn't work for it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum