Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I sure hope this is wrong

+3
JanaAZ
cookingirl
Barbara101
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I sure  hope this is wrong Empty I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

but I doubt it.

My tax bill for my auto is $470. last year it was $21...... I sure  hope this is wrong 1562938848 I sure  hope this is wrong 1562938848 I sure  hope this is wrong 652761166

Is this becuz I have a $20k auto ??? If so I am moving to a state that has no or low tax..

2I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 2:00 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barbara, that is way cheap for auto insurance! I pay at least twice as much!!

3I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Not insurance . Tax on my car that I have to pay yearly for my tag .

4I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 2:13 pm

JanaAZ

I'd be happy with that. When my car was new, I had to pay about $900 a year for tags :-(

5I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok there are several states that you do not have to pay it.Oh,Pa,Del.Ny. and Fla . other western states.

Humm as much as I do not like Fla . I may have to look into it.Del I have looked and looked and it is just to expensive..

I am not paying that $ propery tax every year for my car.

6I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 5:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, when you bring a vehicle into Florida you have to pay a one-time fee of around $250 plus title & tag. I think we paid around $400 for my little Pontiac G6 ~ and that was for the registration for 1-1/2 years. Then the annual registration is priced according to the weight of the vehicle, the bigger it is, the more it costs.

7I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

So you still have to pay for tags? My tag bill is 21$ the other is s bunch of nonsense that dprs even apply to me. I am so pissed and fed up.

8I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, there is an annual renewal for tags.

I don't know yet what mine is. It's not due until July.

9I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Sorry Barbara, I read it wrong.. I thought you were talking car insurance.
I do have to pay a yearly excise tax. It is based on XX amount per thousand dollars of car value.
That may be the correct amount. I remember it being very high at first and then it does go down. Just found my bill.  My 2008 Honda Accord is valued at $2,050. My tax was $51.25.
"the State excise rate is 12% per annum per $1,000 of value".

Funny thing; It is a state tax, yet I have to send the payment to the City Hall Assessors office!!!!
Go figure!!

I have to pay $75 every 4 years for license plates. And my own drivers License is $40---forget how often renewal is.. I can do one on line and for the second one, I have to go in for. I think it is 5 years.

In addition, I have to have a yearly inspection sticker which is $35.....
But this is Massachusetts---aka taxachusetts

10I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Mon May 11, 2015 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OMG.... Barb, thats a double dipping tax system.

Here in NJ, we have a Registration Renewal fee. It goes by the weight of the vehicle.
We pay $47.00 each year. For each car. They are old Mercedes vehicles 1997's with
over 200,000 miles on both of them.

If you lose the tags / plates, they charge $15.00 for the tags,  Inspection is once every two years, and it is free. They only check emissions faults, period. No more safety checks, or lights out or horn not working. They could care less. As long as the CEL is not lighted, the car will pass. The State station she is going to tomorrow, does not plug in to check the OBD of the car. The guy asks if the light is lit, and then shuts the car off, and restarts it so that the Dash Lights illuminate , and that's it.
They don't have the new equipment to see the faults.

It's all money making for the State, and then, for the repair shops and parts stores.

State Tax, is paid only once here. That is when the car is purchased. In NJ it is 7% (Sales Tax ) of the price paid for the vehicle. Now! If I lets say bought the car for 7,000.00 and flipped it a week later for 9,000.00,
the party that bought the car only a week after I did, Has To By Law, pay the Tax AGAIN on now $9,000.00.  Again... Double Dipping!

As a matter of fact, Tina has a vehicle appointment for the blue car tomorrow.

11I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:but I doubt it.

My tax bill for my auto is $470. last year it was $21...... I sure  hope this is wrong 1562938848 I sure  hope this is wrong 1562938848 I sure  hope this is wrong 652761166

Is this becuz I have a $20k auto ??? If so I am moving to a state that has no or low tax..

We don't pay an annual auto tax in LA but we do have annual registration. I just paid ours on a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L and it was $50, including $5, I think, for the convenience of renewing it online.

12I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 10:17 pm

NormM

NormM

Here in Kansas, they charge extra if you don't renew online. You have to register a new car in person though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

13I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Here in Kansas, they charge extra if you don't renew online.  You have to register a new car in person though.

I remember to purchase or change auto insurance, you had to go to the designated agent, and have them take pictures of the car, and noting any damage before they would finalize a policy. Huh! Now, one just purchases car insurance on line; and sight unseen.

14I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 10:41 pm

NormM

NormM

And they'd rather total out your car if it is damaged than pay to repair it. I think they figure they can make money if they buy the car then part it out. They did that to my son's car when he got T-Boned last month. It needed a new door but the totaled it and will make money by fixing and reselling or selling it part by part.

15I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:And they'd rather total out your car if it is damaged than pay to repair it.  I think they figure they can make money if they buy the car then part it out.   They did that to my son's car when he got T-Boned last month.  It needed a new door but the totaled it and will make money by fixing and reselling or selling it part by part.

The car repair today is a crooked money maker.
The GD bought a 2008 Scion made by Toyota .... and last week, she brought it to the dealer for an oil change because a friend of hers works as a mechanic at another brand car dealer. He told he to take it to Scion, because there was a recall on some engines that were excessive oil users. Surer than heck... She got the oil changed, and after driving 200 miles, they measured the oil, and it was using oil excessively
She got another engine ( updated ) installed by the dealer. Nice huh!

Nice there was a recall, and no one was notified.

16I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

NormM

NormM

I once had a Jeep that was billed as possible to drive in 4WD all the time but they found out that it didn't work and the 4WD gear box would burn up if you did. But they never told anyone and didn't recall nor replace. They just waited for it to burn up then charged you for a new one. The only way i found out was that my Jeep broke down miles from any dealer and the local repair shop had to call Jeep to get another one. They told them that there was no recall and no help for me. The mechanic wasn't supposed to tell me but he did. I had to replace it. On the way home the heater started going out and I traded it off as soon as I got home. It wasn't the first Jeep I had that turned into a money pit but it was the last one I ever bought.

17I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Sun May 24, 2015 1:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'll never forget when we bought Maria a jeep. 1995 used with 70,000 mi.
I pulled it in the side of the house, and changed all the fluids. I run all the way to the Jeep dealer,
( chrysler ) to get the special trans fluid, something like Mopar 7. I drained the trans, and new filter, and fluid.... then I jump to the trans axle to the front wheel drive, and that had a tag, Dexron 2 only.
Like...WTHeck..... two different trans fluids. Bite Me!
One thing I could say, is that 4.0L inline 6 cyl. engine, was a work horse. So easy to work on too.

She still has it, but uses it only on the farm. No insurance, and it's not registered to drive on the streets. They use it to chase and round up sheep, and as a play toy driving up the hills and through the stream. It's lifted up high, and so high, I needed a milk crate to lift my fat @$$ up into the darn thing.

I sure  hope this is wrong OxyCUJ

Here is her new love, pride and joy!  Her Ram 1500 Pick Up

I sure  hope this is wrong UlFCia    

18I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:Here in Kansas, they charge extra if you don't renew online.  You have to register a new car in person though.

I remember to purchase or change auto insurance, you had to go to the designated agent, and have them take pictures of the car, and noting any damage before they would finalize a policy. Huh! Now, one just purchases car insurance on line; and sight unseen.

Most agencies here still require an in-person visual inspection. You can purchase whatever online but it doesn't go into effect until the agent makes a visual inspection. I have our house with the car agent so he's pretty good about things. Lots of times being older helps, too. I'll use anything I can to get a vendor to give me more service, as you can tell! Laughing

19I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:And they'd rather total out your car if it is damaged than pay to repair it.  I think they figure they can make money if they buy the car then part it out.   They did that to my son's car when he got T-Boned last month.  It needed a new door but the totaled it and will make money by fixing and reselling or selling it part by part.

How old was your son's car?  Parts are extremely expensive (lots more than buying all the parts to put a car back together) and then when you add labor to it, a lot of times it's more cost effective to just replace it.  Check out the Blue Book value for selling it to a car dealer, not in a private sale -- it will be less than stated there, though, because of the damage.  They also vary the "appraised" price based on where you reside, and they factor in the value of the car in your area of the country. Compare the value of the car, including its age (the price they need to pay you for a depreciated value) to what it would cost to repair it.  

Charlie could've also opted to keep his car and get a smaller check from the insurance company (it's less than they would've given him if he'd totaled it and turned it over to them) and fix his own door.  I did this with a hail-damaged car and got a sizeable check (much more than I expected when I decided to keep it) -- all it had was bumps all over it.  Brian nicknamed it "The Titleist"!!! They will, however, in such a situation, refuse to cover you for comprehensive coverage, only liability.

Gotta tell you that most insurance companies do not take possession of any car but rather sell it to a company that buys damaged or junk cars.  They don't bother with a car once it's totaled.  Maybe the guy they might sell it to fixes and sells it or sells it for junk (to a parts dealer or a junk man) but insurance companies are like banks with foreclosed properties, as they don't have the manpower, the knowledge or the desire to deal with the cars they total. I'm sure there are exceptions to this like everything else but for the most part, they just follow the company policy.

20I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:59 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie bought the same year, model and color of his old car, just with a few more miles on it and got a better finance rate. They gave him the full amount to get another one. I don't know the year but it isn't very old.

21I sure  hope this is wrong Empty Re: I sure hope this is wrong Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Charlie bought the same year, model and color of his old car, just with a few more miles on it and got a better finance rate.  They gave him the full amount to get another one.  I don't know the year but it isn't very old.

Sweet! Sorry if I went on too long, Norm...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum