Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did y'all know , or have seen one

+3
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

A Jeep for $70k.. affraid Nice..

2Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:A Jeep for $70k.. affraid Nice..

Just saw this...but WHAT!!!

70K?? .... Does it come with a driver and gas for life?? LOL

DD has a 95 wrangler jeep, and she paid $3,500.00 used, and loves it.
She didn't pay for the registration so it is illegal, but she runs it on the farm rounding up sheep and lambs when they stray, and for fun climbing hills and over rocks and stuff only on the farm property.

3Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

gosh I forgot i posted this..CRS..

I like to watch Tim Allen in Last Man Standing.He was driving the kid to school & had this Jeep that had SRT on the seat back..So I googled it..

YUP 70k .. affraid Did y'all know , or have seen one 2855670339

4Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:23 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

5Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

And what the heck would anyone need all that horsepower for ???
It surely must be a gas hog!!

6Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

If 70k would be something I would pay for auto,it would be a BMW.

7Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I have owned three or four jeeps.  They were all maintenance money pits.  If I had 70k to spend on a car it wouldn't be a Jeep or Chrysler.  Nothing but bad luck with those too... it may have been partly due to the dealer being a crook though.

ps my son was looking at BMW's a few months ago. He said an oil change costs + $100.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have owned three or four jeeps.  They were all maintenance money pits.  If I had 70k to spend on a car it wouldn't be a Jeep or Chrysler.  Nothing but bad luck with those too... it may have been partly due to the dealer being a crook though.

ps my son was looking at BMW's a few months ago. He said an oil change costs + $100.

The new engines use the full synthetic oil which drives the cost of an oil change up.
GD took her VW for an oil change, and it was 67.00 for 4L of the oil and filter change.
I am fortunate to do the oil change myself on our vehicle for the price of 7 Ltr of 0w40 full synthetic oil and a cartridge filter ( Bosch) for 37.00 total.

9Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

BMW's aren't that great. I have owned several over my lifetime. My current one is a 2002. It only has 79,000 miles on it so I guess I will be driving it till I die. My complaints are as follows: the seats are rock hard. I have to put down a pad. If you get sport seats, they are more comfortable. The transmissions are terrible. In one car the trans died at 35,000 miles and again at 75,000 mi. In every other BMW I have owned the trans died at 75,000 mi. This last one cost me $4,000 to rebuild. These cars are not cheap to fix. The most reliable car I ever owned was a Toyota. The worst was a Sunbeam Tiger.

10Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:BMW's aren't that great. I have owned several over my lifetime. My current one is a 2002. It only has 79,000 miles on it so I guess I will be driving it till I die. My complaints are as follows: the seats are rock hard. I have to put down a pad. If you get sport seats, they are more comfortable. The transmissions are terrible. In one car the trans died at 35,000 miles and again at 75,000 mi. In every other BMW I have owned the trans died at 75,000 mi. This last one cost me $4,000 to rebuild. These cars are not cheap to fix. The most reliable car I ever owned was a Toyota. The worst was a Sunbeam Tiger.

We had a BMW 1995 535i which I bought used cheap!
I repaired the darn thing front end work and injectors, and it ran great.
Only thing was, the Transmission would miss a shift and go into the limp mode.
It would do it whenever it felt like it. I would be on the Hwy. doing 70 mph, and Bang...the trans would slam down into second hear, and slow the car to 40 mph within a second. Bought the car for 9000.00 Trans replace plus software to upgrade shifting. = 3600.00.
Not worth it! Got rid of the car!

11Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Going on Wed for a look see at Nisson Altima 2.5.Did not know you had to have a appt duh..I may just lease one.IDK...Auto buying is not fun.......

another thing is my insur will go up.Plus my tax I have to pay every year. affraid

12Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't envy you. I hate car shopping.

Good thing I love my 2006 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible. Still under 80k miles, I plan to keep it for as long as I can. With the weather here I get to have to top down more than 75% of the time.

13Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I don't envy you.  I hate car shopping.  

Good thing I love my 2006 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible.  Still under 80k miles, I plan to keep it for as long as I can.  With the weather here I get to have to top down more than 75% of the time.

Yeah Beth, and the road salt ( like in the north ) will be non existent!

The salt is playing heck on Tinamommy's car. I have to spot patch and paint it.
Still going at almost turning 200,000 mi.
Good ole 1997 S320  Mercedes.

14Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:46 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'm not a car person.  I like cars but could/would never spend a lot of money on a car.  It's just not me, nor is it Brian.  My sister and her husband have had a zillion cars -- mostly BMWs but some Mercedes, too.  She loves, loves, loves her BMWs, though we notice they're almost always in the shop!  But she will defend them with her last breath.  Not for me, as I have to have a reliable car -- anything else would drive me crazy.  When you put a key into a car ignition, it's supposed to start!

That being said, I'm one of those people who actually like buying a car.  Brian doesn't go with me, but just asks that he please be able to fit into the car (he's 6'4").  He finds the money negotiation aggravating beyond belief -- me, too, but it's a process you have to go through.  I used to get my brother to go with me and I learned a lot (we never spoke frankly in one of those little offices in case they were bugged but went outside to talk instead).  I'd also listen to his questions which answers he'd used to his advantage later when negotiating the price.  He eventually told me, "You don't need me anymore.  You did that whole process almost entirely on your own."  Then I had enough confidence to go alone.  I think a chick on her own with knowledge is a formidable customer, as they ALWAYS underestimate both your knowledge and your hutzpah.

After Katrina, we decided to try to make do with one car instead of two.  We figured that's what we'd do in retirement, so we'd give it a whirl.  It takes a little organization but we got used to it.  In 2009, we decided to buy a new car.  I'd been buying Nissan Altimas, but wasn't very pleased with the last one -- a 2000 -- so this time I wanted a Honda.  I'd read they were extremely reliable, everyone who owned one loved it and they kept their value really well.  So I started looking at Honda Accords.  I wanted to buy one right before the new model year came out so I could get a good deal.  

I did my research on the Internet, found out what the dealer paid for the car and did some research on what they normally sell for.  Then I decided to buy it online.  I picked out the one I wanted (a black Honda Accord Ex-L -- it's like one model less than the top model, something I also try to do when buying) and checked all the local dealers online to see if they had it.  They all now have Internet Sales Departments, with some being better than others.  I pitted all the dealers against one another re a price, even dealers I would NEVER do business with because of their prior, sometime even old, bad reputations.  I got a very good price online and in fact went with the dealer and Internet salesman I liked best over one where I could've saved yet another $100.  

I made an appointment to go see the car.  When I got there (July), it was hot as blazes.  All I had to do was test drive it and then dicker over the price of my trade in.  Instead of making me walk the lot in the heat, he had both the black ones he had -- a sedan and a coupe -- brought up to the sales area, a very nice touch.  I went with the four door, as I liked the tan leather interior with the black outside and I'd never again buy a two-door car.  Test drove it and loved it; the salesman was very knowledgeable and told me while I drove about some of the smaller features I wasn't aware of (like the back seat unclipping inside the trunk and laying down so bigger things could be put in the trunk).  

We went back to the dealer and negotiated the trade in price.  It was a bit less than I'd hoped for but I stood my ground and got a price I was willing to live with.  They knew I was prepared to drive the new car away that day so it helped me negotiate my trade in price, as I said many times that I wouldn't buy it unless I got enough for my trade in.  Keep in mind that I'd been dealing with this guy for about two weeks online so he knew I was a serious buyer and not just a tire-kicker.  

Then I went to the room with the guy who trys to get you to buy the maintenance packages and signs you up for your financing. I NEVER, EVER buy one of those maintenance packages.  I did once, encouraged by my brother who was with me, and I never ever used it.  I told the guy I expected the car to last a while and that I wouldn't need it.  Frustrating for him, I know, and 20 minutes of my time wasted, but he finally realized I wasn't buying.  I'd checked on their finance rate prior to going out there; we have excellent credit so I always expect a low rate, which I'd been promised.  When I got there, they'd found me an even lower rate.  Plus it was the kind of loan (like a house loan) where if I paid the car off quicker, it would cost me less interest.  In years past, I never had that type of loan on a car.  

Since Brian and I commuted together (til I stopped working in 2010), we saved miles.  The car, a 2009, was 5 years old this past July.  It just turned over to 38,000 miles and looks brand new.  Well, the inside (Brian's a pig) front console could use some leather cleaning (he spilled stuff on it and didn't clean it up -- I don't drink or eat in a car), but other than that, the car looks cherry.  People are always asking him what year the car is, as it looks that good.  We have no garage (we live in a very old historic neighborhood) and the car sits outdoors in the hot sun all the time.  We wash it regularly and get it waxed (auto drive thru wash is fine) so the finish has stayed nice.  I always read that you need to see the rain drops bead up on the finish when it rains or you need a wax job.  I'm getting ready to put some polish on the finish (it used to be Honda brand polish) and then once it's polished, get a nice wax finish put on it.  

When I'm ready for a new car, I'm going to sell it myself.  I've saved all the maintenance records (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) and I know I can get more from a buyer than the dealer will give me.  I can then get a ride to the dealer to pick up my new car!  I'd buy another Honda Accord in a heartbeat, by the way...

15Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

When you put a key into a car ignition, it's supposed to start!

hehehe now you push a button.Not sure I even like that.

Crap  now you have wondering if I should look at Honda lol

16Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:When you put a key into a car ignition, it's supposed to start!

Altimas are great cars, too. They look pretty darn sporty these days, too.

I dated a guy many years ago who'd bought and restored a 1958 MGA. To start the car, you turned the key in the ignition and then PULLED a knob out to start the car. I can't tell you how many times I parked that thing at a car park place and came back and it was still in the exact same place -- no one knew how to start it!

I like keyless entry and wish our car had it. You know, you just have to have the key on your person (or in your purse). It would be heaven not to have to dig it out of my purse!

Check out cars online and customer satisfaction for each car. Then go test drive each one and make up your mind. Or buy one on the Internet once you test drive -- it's a very nice process. Wish I was there to help you but then I'd probably try to take over!!!

17Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Barb, check out the Honda Accord. DD#2 had two and it was super reliable for her - nothing but oil changes (the tire rotation is usually free). She now has a Nissan that is nice, but not as nice as her Honda was for the ride. If you haven't purchased yet, take a bit of time to check Honda out. They're usually listed as one of the most reliable on the road.

Dane had two Nissan pick up trucks - drove 'em until the fenders blew off in the wind on the highway! And, other than an occasional brake job and oil change, never took either to the dealership for service after the warranty period.

18Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Will do..They have lifetime warranty now.

19Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barb, I am on my second Honda Accord.. First one was a 1991.....My current one is a 2008 Accord LX..not the top of the line but it will do for me and it served my dad well.

I do not drive much. I had to put in new brakes and tires this year.
I have always had 4 door Hondas. I found the 2 doors to be a bit smaller in back and difficult to get stuff out of the back seats.

I did not tell them I had a trade-in until I negotiated price, then I threw it at them.... I did not have my old car with me... My male cousin came with me to negotiate the deal. I had gone previously to test drive it and to meet the salesperson.
I drove the 1991 honda into the ground. It leaked, needed CV joints and struts and I still got 2,000 for trade in...
They quoted a trade in price for me, and then they saw the car....I feel I did good on that.

My cousin has an altima and other Nisson cars. He is very happy with them..

20Did y'all know , or have seen one Empty Re: Did y'all know , or have seen one Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:When you put a key into a car ignition, it's supposed to start!

Barb.... Have you thought of the Hyundai vehicle.
The "Elantra" is a great car, and so is the Toyota Corolla model!
The Elantra has the best roominess in the front especially.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum