Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Frankly my dear

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Frankly my dear Empty Frankly my dear Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am still scared to death with a gas grill.....

I have to really get more experience with charcoal.I like my electric smoker BUT it blows my breaker box..

I have never smoked on my weber kettle yet.To many ways to do it I am confused.I do not want to ruin this turkey..I grill a lot on the Smokey Joe.Easy & just the perfect size.Throw in some kingsford ,light.

In the foil pan?? brine or not?? lump or charcoal??

I  even thought do I need to buy a charcoal smoker????

I am going to have to do some major looking on you tube & Weber site.

Frankly my dear 512660330

2Frankly my dear Empty Re: Frankly my dear Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:24 pm

JanaAZ

OMG...don't fret. I've been doing my turkey on the grill for 35 years.

If you want the instructions, give me your email address and i'll email them to you.

Basically, indirect charcoal fire with coals on both sides of the grill and nothing in the middle except the drip pan. Put turkey right on the grill grate. I don't like to stuff mine since the stuffing tends to burn when it's in the grill. Take off when white meat is about 160 and dark meat is about 170. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes and it's perfect.

If you want it to have a more smoky flavor, soak some wood chips in water, then place in a foil packet. Poke a few holes in the packet and throw the packet directly on the hot coals. You can also throw the chips directly on the coals. You'll get better flavor that way and turkey looks really dark. Here's a link to an article they did on me a few years ago and a turkey on the grill http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/get_out/article_b5f17eec-9045-50fb-abcf-b0274b56f367.html?mode=jqm We did not put the wood in the packet but instead put it directly on the coals. I like the dark, smoky flavor.

3Frankly my dear Empty Re: Frankly my dear Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol that is way I saw this posted somewhere. I forgot were I even saw it.

mycarolinachick@aol.com

Frankly my dear 2453703928

4Frankly my dear Empty Re: Frankly my dear Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No risks, no glory !

Don't be afraid. Worst that can happen is you set the neighborhood on fire.....LOL

NO, seriously. Judy wouldn't point you in the wrong direction. I do my stuff on the gas grill. Turkey goes on the side without the burner on under it - opposite side turned on. If you want to smoke, damp chips in a foil pack with holes poked in top & bottom and set on the grill above the burner that's turned on. Keep the lid closed and let it go. Easy peasy.

5Frankly my dear Empty Re: Frankly my dear Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 am

NormM

NormM

If you have a Weber, the only reason to get a smoker is if you want to do something that is bigger than will fit in the Weber.  Jana's tips are good.  Another way is to build the fire on one side, open the vent holes under that side, put the turkey on the other side and the lid vent holes open only on the lid side over the turkey and a drip pan under it. I make a drip pan out of heavy duty foil.   My Weber has hinges on the grate so I can open it up and add charcoal without moving the meat.  If you do it that way, you might want to rotate the turkey once or twice while cooking.  That method lets you smoke some bigger meat than the in the middle method.  I always add wood in chunks (on the side of the charcoal, not on top) so it smolders longer and smokes the meat better in my opinion. Chips burn too fast and soaking them in water just makes them steam while the water evaporates.  They aren't smoking when they are steaming.  White smoke is steam. Steam isn't bad. It adds moisture to the atmosphere inside the smoker but blue smoke is the flavoring smoke.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6Frankly my dear Empty Re: Frankly my dear Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Frankly my dear 2453703928

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum