Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WARNING! WalMart phishing email circulating....

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got a call from Dane this morning. He had received an email via his work email that his order for a $950 television was being processed. It looked to come from Walmart and had several links to reply.

****DO NOT CLICK ON ANY EMAIL LINKS !!****

I did not use a link but instead went to the Walmart site and made an inquiry citing the order number on the email and questioning the order. This is what I received back from them:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Walmart.com.

The message you received is not authorized nor sent by Walmart or any of its subsidiaries and appears to be a phishing scam attempting to gather your information. Please disregard the message and do not respond to it with any of your personal information. We take these matters very seriously and are investigating all unauthorized uses of the Walmart name, trademarks and logos.

Do not click on any of the links in the email. Please delete the email.

For emails received from "Wallmart.com" (with two L's), a Walmart order was not actually placed.

Check your statements to see if any unauthorized charges were placed or are pending and monitor your statements

If unauthorized charges were placed, please contact your bank or credit card company to dispute the charges. Your financial institution is the best avenue to recover funds.

At this point it appears that no accounts were accessed, but you can delete any saved payment information and reset your password as a preventative measure.

First sign in to "My Account" (located at the top of each page).

To remove a credit card from your account, click "Payment Method Details"

Reset your password here: http://www.walmart.com/cservice/li_forgotpassword.gsp

Please see http://corporate.walmart.com/privacy-security/tips/personal-computer-security for other fraud prevention measures. Your privacy and security are very important to us. Please know that our security teams are fully engaged with this matter.

Sincerely,

Walmart.com Customer Care"

I also went to my local Walmart and an associate there checked their system and there was no order matching the cited order number in the Walmart system. Phew!

I spoke with my daughter in Indy and told her about the email and she said SHE GOT THE SAME EMAIL. That leads me to believe it might be some sort of scam associated with MY computer, although I have all kinds of malware, spyware, strange-stuff-ware installed on my computer.

IF you received an email about a television order, just delete it.

But let me know so I can call my computer guy to install more stuff and clean my system if I have to. I only bring this up because most of you are listed in my email contacts.

So sorry,
beth

JanaAZ

Sometimes if you hold your curser over the link, it will show where it's actually going. You'd be surprised some of the nutty stuff those scammers try to do but it's easy to find out where their links are sending you.

If holding the curser over the link doesn't s how up the actual link info, sometimes I'll copy the link and paste it to see where it's sending me.

My philosophy....when in doubt, throw it out!!!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum