Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mini desserts problem

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mini desserts problem Empty Mini desserts problem Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to be making some mini desserts using mini dessert cups and shot glasses. I want to get the filling into the glasses without glomming up the inside of the glass. What I need is something with a wide long tip and is squeezable. Has anyone seen anything like that?

2Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The disposable piping bags by Wilton are pretty narrow and can be snipped to allow a little or a lot to be squeezed out. Or, if thin enough, what about a turkey baster? just thinkin' out loud here....

3Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:31 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:The disposable piping bags by Wilton are pretty narrow and can be snipped to allow a little or a lot to be squeezed out.  Or, if thin enough, what about a turkey baster?  just thinkin' out loud here....

A turkey baster! What a clever idea! I will see how that works (in advance, of course). I do have bags and tips and an old diner type mustard squeeze bottle but was looking for an easier and cleaner way to get mousse, lemon curd and cheesecake filling into those little shot glasses. Possibly one of those batter pens if the baster doesn't work.

4Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I use just a sandwich type plastic bag.Spoon in some stuff,push to one corner,then cut off a small corner & squeeze.

5Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:I use just a sandwich type plastic bag.Spoon in some stuff,push to one corner,then cut off a small corner & squeeze.

Been there and done that. I wasn't able to get the filling into the shot glasses without making a mess inside the glass.

6Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I use just a sandwich type plastic bag.Spoon in some stuff,push to one corner,then cut off a small corner & squeeze.

Been there and done that. I wasn't able to get the filling into the shot glasses without making a mess inside the glass.

We have a cookie press that has the decorating attachments
in the kit with the flat dies.

DD uses it to fill custard into cream puffs that she makes.

All you do, is fill the tube with whatever, and squeeze
the lever. Like a caulking gun.

HERE IT IS...Tina got a new one cause it was on sale. We got like 7 cookie guns hahaha...

Mini desserts problem H4su

7Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried the baster approach: no good. The filling was too thick. I then remembered I had purchased a decorating thing on sale at Sur La Table and went digging for it (the story of my life). I found it. It is made by Mastrad and has (of all things) silicone pastry bags and a holder so you can fill the bag. It also came with a long tip among others. I gave it a try and my problem is solved. Those silicone bags are a great improvement over the canvas and plastic type. they are really nice. The long tip gets right down into the shot glasses.

8Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

TA DA !

It's wonderful when a plan comes together.

Congrats!

9Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

shot glass size. I would have to have a dozen  geek 

10Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:shot glass size. I would have to have a dozen  geek 

This is for a Christmas eve dinner we have been invited to. There are only 6 of us but I am bringing 18 mini desserts so everyone can have multiples of several varieties.

11Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's a very clever idea....

I'd have to make 24 or 30 to make up for the "taste testing" ones I'd sneak at home....

lol

12Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:A turkey baster! What a clever idea! I will see how that works (in advance, of course). I do have bags and tips and an old diner type mustard squeeze bottle but was looking for an easier and cleaner way to get mousse, lemon curd and cheesecake filling into those little shot glasses.

Combo sounded delicious, Bug. What were you making?

13Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

An apple crumble parfait, cherry cheesecake, lemon meringue, cookies and cream, and a chocolate peanut butter parfait.

14Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:An apple crumble parfait, cherry cheesecake, lemon meringue, cookies and cream, and a chocolate peanut butter parfait.

Mmmmm! I'm not much of a baker but everything sounds divine!

15Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is no baking involved and I am taking the lazy man's way out. I have Trader Joe's Belgian chocolate pudding, a can of Comstock apple and cherry pie fillings and a jar of Dundee lemon curd. Crush up some Lorna Doone's, Oreos, graham cracker crumbs. I will be baking some cinnamon crumble for topping and using a container of Philly cheesecake filling. And whipping some heavy cream. Most of the effort is in filling the glasses. Yes, it would be better if it was all homemade (maybe) but I don't want to tire myself out.

16Mini desserts problem Empty Re: Mini desserts problem Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:There is no baking involved and I am taking the lazy man's way out. I have Trader Joe's Belgian chocolate pudding, a can of Comstock apple and cherry pie fillings and a jar of Dundee lemon curd. Crush up some Lorna Doone's, Oreos, graham cracker crumbs. I will be baking some cinnamon crumble for topping and using a container of Philly cheesecake filling. And whipping some heavy cream. Most of the effort is in filling the glasses. Yes, it would be better if it was all homemade (maybe) but I don't want to tire myself out.

Still sounds good to me!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum