Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

always learn something new

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1always learn something new Empty always learn something new Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

one of these days when it cools down here in the south ,I will make a pot of beans.

I like pintos & I like great northern beans.together or separate.

15 beans mix.... sometimes.

I just saw that you soak your ham hocks overnight Shocked Never ever thought to do that.will do it for sure.

2always learn something new Empty Re: always learn something new Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Normally if I make dried beans and I soak overnight as opposed to the "quick" method, I discard the original soaking water.

I make a broth/cooking liquid from my hocks or smoked pork shanks the day before and cool and de-fat, shred the meat to add at the end, and cook any large bones with the beans for additional flavor.

My favorite bean to use are the Myacoaba white beans (usually found in the Mexican food section) - like a very large Navy bean or a cannalini (sp?) bean. I like the cooked texture better, it seems less "mealy" to me and holds it's shape well if not overcooked.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum