Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Extra work ~ worth it?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Extra work ~ worth it? Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I mentioned in another thread I saw Daniel Boulud as a guest chef on The Rachael Ray Show this morning. He did a demo on a Tarragon Vinegar Chicken.

Part of the instructions were to add pearl onions and peeled cherry tomatoes.

My question is: if you were making the dish for your family, not a company dish, would you take the time to blanch & peel the little cherry tomatoes?

Since I have nothing but time on my hands, I probably would do that. I enjoy some of the small detail work and love to play around early in the day with my mise en plas and using every little container in my kitchen to keep ingredients separate until time to cook. I like to take my time and chop things so the vegetables are the same size, stuff like that. I'm not a speed demon and I don't understand the hurry, especially since I have lots of time to play around getting my meals prepared. I suppose if I was employed in a restaurant kitchen it would be much more important to be speedy but, at best, I'm a short order cook and you'll get your food when I say it's done!

2Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Re: Extra work ~ worth it? Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

not me. heck I even buy frozen whole pearl onions.lol Now I used too. when my back didn't give out.

3Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Re: Extra work ~ worth it? Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:55 pm

JanaAZ

Hell no. If DH wants the tomatoes peeled, he knows where the peeler is. Very Happy 

4Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Re: Extra work ~ worth it? Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, REALLY, Jana ~ tell me how you feel.....

Extra work ~ worth it? 2876911673

I have to laugh because I'm the type person who de-seeds GRAPE tomatoes before roasting to dehydrate. I just don't like the seeds.

5Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Re: Extra work ~ worth it? Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'd do it but then the skins just rub off easily once you drop them in boiling water. It doesn't take long at all. Plus, tomato skins annoy me if they're small pieces in the dish.

I still parboil and peel the little pearl onions, too, though I admit it's a PITA. Someone told me I can buy them frozen but the time I looked for them, it was holiday time so there was just an empty space in the grocery freezer where they normally were.

Barb, you can always set yourself up sitting at the kitchen table, even if you have to cover it with newspaper prior to say, sitting to peel something. Brian likes to help me and I often set him up at the table because of his back.

6Extra work ~ worth it? Empty Re: Extra work ~ worth it? Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Niagara Visitor

I surely would not peel them. I would probably just use a couple of big tomatoes and chop them large dice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum