Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oregano - different yet similar

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Oregano - different yet similar Empty Oregano - different yet similar Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've seen references to using a specific regional oregano noted in recipes for years but seldom gave it much thought. Then a friend of mine served a Mexican dish made using the Mexican variety and I noticed it was very different from the Greek variety I had in my pantry and used for my simple, yet delicious, Greek salad dressing made with equal parts lemon juice, Greek olive oil, dried Greek oregano and salt.

So I finally did a few searches and came away with this link that explains the flavor differences better than I could...

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-mediterra-93923

I'm not a big fan of Mexican/Southwest cuisine so I imagine I will simply stock the Greek variety in my pantry.

2Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've seen references to using a specific regional oregano noted in recipes for years but seldom gave it much thought.  Then a friend of mine served a Mexican dish made using the Mexican variety and I noticed it was very different from the Greek variety I had in my pantry and used for my simple, yet delicious, Greek salad dressing made with equal parts lemon juice, Greek olive oil, dried Greek oregano and salt.

So I finally did a few searches and came away with this link that explains the flavor differences better than I could...

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-mediterra-93923

I'm not a big fan of Mexican/Southwest cuisine so I imagine I will simply stock the Greek variety in my pantry.
We got this monster plastic jug of dry oregano from Sams Club. We also have so called Greek oregano from the last previous years that Tina grew and we dried on sheet pans and bottled.
There is Greek Oregano in the window box growing now. That is great fresh on tomato salads or pizza topping sauce.
I had to stop using basil. Tina claims she gets sick from it.

3Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My "go to" fresh herb is thyme...I like it with chicken and beef and pork. Basil is one I use fresh with my tomato bruschetta, whether raw or when I oven roast the seeded tomatoes and toss with evoo and s&p.

My least favorite herb is cilantro, for reasons I have talked about before....parsley substitutes fine for me. Another herb I'm not crazy about is rosemary, although I do have one recipe for a beef flank steak marinate that uses dried rosemary and we like that a lot. I think fresh rosemary is too "pine-y" - reminds me of chewing on a pine needle. It also reminds me of the taste of gin, another taste I'm not a fan of.

4Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I absolutely hate rosemary and think it's because I'm allergic to pine and it tastes like it IMO. I substitute thyme whenever rosemary is called for, in a recipe. I like cilantro but hubs does not but he will eat it in salsa, with so much else going on, he doesn't taste it, I guess. I always buy Greek Oregano, but I think what I get from Penzeys, is called Turkish Oregano.

5Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My "go to" fresh herb is thyme...I like it with chicken and beef and pork.  Basil is one I use fresh with my tomato bruschetta, whether raw or when I oven roast the seeded tomatoes and toss with evoo and s&p.

My least favorite herb is cilantro, for reasons I have talked about before....parsley substitutes fine for me.  Another herb I'm not crazy about is rosemary, although I do have one recipe for a beef flank steak marinate that uses dried rosemary and we like that a lot.  I think fresh rosemary is too "pine-y" - reminds me of chewing on a pine needle.  It also reminds me of the taste of gin, another taste I'm not a fan of.

rosemary is a very strong spice.
We use it after we dry it on the stems, and then Tina will take a sprig and throw it in her tomato sauce, but then takes it out.

Not all the time. We don't use cilantro either. Parsely yes. Another one that is strong is Bay Leaf. Too much of that is too strong.

6Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We use them all, though we probably use thyme (fresh and dried) most often. It's a go to herb in Creole cooking. Bay leaves, too.

A little rosemary goes a long way but we love it, though I know lots of people don't care for it.

7Oregano - different yet similar Empty Re: Oregano - different yet similar Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

This is the basil I am growing and really love it and how easy it is to harvest and how pretty it is too. Here's the link. I highly recommend trying it and it seems to take little water or tending.

http://www.foodista.com/food/RKL7Z8DL/spicy-globe-basil#

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum