Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

10 yr. old boys....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

110 yr. old boys.... Empty 10 yr. old boys.... Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The 10 yr. old has a couple friends over this afternoon.  I can't remember when I last heard the "F" word so many times.....

NO, not THAT "F" word, I mean f-a-r-t.....

And after I heard the word or heard the sound (made by blowing on their hands) they all went into gales of giggles like a group of little girls....I was cutting up vegetables in the kitchen and they were playing video games so I could overhear.  I'm glad to see he and his friends are normal by the Grandma standard....some things apparently don't ever change.

They asked for a snack and all had a gigantic sandwich...I guess all that laughter needs to be fuelled with something.  But his friends have been polite and he said the rule was all eating and drinking had to be kept in the kitchen.  So there are no complaints from me.  It's kind of fun to watch 3 little boys all get together without bruising or blood...lol

210 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

welcome to my world. Shocked Shocked 

they eat , drink everything they can get their hands on.The Cat is happy when they leave too.cat 

so am I cheers cheers 

310 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yeah....and the "D" word....constantly..

Hey, DUDE, don't break down my wall! DUDE ! DUDE !

I just stayed out of the way in the kitchen and smiled to myself. But I am VERY happy my child rearing days are over. Just listening to them and trying to be aware of what they were doing was exhausting. I have always said that was the reason only young women should be moms.

I'm ready for a nap! LOL

410 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Our retired pastor and his wife are in their early 70s and are raising their daughter's two boys, aged 2 and 4 but they love kids and are in pretty good health and come from long-lived ancestors. It's so hard these days, all these girls want to have babies and then they realize it's not the glamor they thought it'd be. I always say the being a grown-up is highly overrated. I have to laugh at all the farting, our nephews did that and the kids I taught on Wednesday church program, would make the farting sounds and one night someone really let a bad one. So I gave my now famous farting speech, as to how everyone does it, it can be funny, but it can be rude and unmannerly when you're in a crowd of people, a restaurant, school etc. We can fart at home with our family, but it's impolite to do it at church blah blah blah. I told them I don't want to hear the word, hear the sound or smell anything suspicious for the rest of the evening or on Wednesday nights from now on. LOL They got it, but we laughed about it on the way home. I would love to be around those magpies for an afternoon, send them south.

510 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The 10 yr. old doesn't have a lot of opportunity to have friends over since Mom works every day. So when he asked if his friends could come over I happily agreed. It sure beat having him sulk about nothing to do. When boys can get along without ending up in a wrestling match on the lawn, well, that makes me happy.

610 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:05 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The 10 yr. old doesn't have a lot of opportunity to have friends over since Mom works every day.  So when he asked if his friends could come over I happily agreed.  It sure beat having him sulk about nothing to do.  When boys can get along without ending up in a wrestling match on the lawn, well, that makes me happy.

That was indeed kind and considerate of you, Beth. And I'm glad it's you and not me (just teasing)! Seriously, though, it was indeed sweet of you. If I was one of those kids, I'd probably make sure I came back so I could get another sandwich!

710 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I told them I don't want to hear the word, hear the sound or smell anything suspicious for the rest of the evening or on Wednesday nights from now on. LOL They got it, but we laughed about it on the way home. I would love to be around those magpies for an afternoon, send them south.

I just LOVED this story, Pea! The kids are probably still talking about it even if they're adults now!

810 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The 10 yr. old has a couple friends over this afternoon.  I can't remember when I last heard the "F" word so many times.....

And after I heard the word or heard the sound (made by blowing on their hands) they all went into gales of giggles like a group of little girls....I was cutting up vegetables in the kitchen and they were playing video games so I could overhear.  I'm glad to see he and his friends are normal by the Grandma standard....some things apparently don't ever change.

They asked for a snack and all had a gigantic sandwich...I guess all that laughter needs to be fuelled with something.  But his friends have been polite and he said the rule was all eating and drinking had to be kept in the kitchen.  So there are no complaints from me.  It's kind of fun to watch 3 little boys all get together without bruising or blood...lol

those are polite and nice kids... Beth... not like some of my neighbor kids here, they run around the street and sometime vandalize whatever come in their ways.. I'm just wondering how come 8 or 10 years old kids playing without their parents supervising them No No Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

910 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:The 10 yr. old has a couple friends over this afternoon.  I can't remember when I last heard the "F" word so many times.....

those are polite and nice kids... Beth... not like some of my neighbor kids here, they run around the street and sometime vandalize whatever come in their ways.. I'm just wondering how come 8 or 10 years old kids playing without their parents supervising them No No Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Imelda, we played outside at that age, and younger, without anyone supervising us, but we knew better than to misbehave because we'd get the belt if it got back to mom and dad. And we did get it a few times and aren't damaged for it. There's no balance in today's world -- kids are either ignored, beaten and abused, or simply not disciplined. It's hard to believe that little kids can even think about doing the kinds of things that they do, but they see it on TV or in their homes. It's a big 'ol goofy world. 10 yr. old boys.... 2855670339 

1010 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, isn't that the truth, Pea.

We got up, ate a simple breakfast, did our "inside chores" or whatever we were told to do and then it was outside. Just go out and play. No bleeding, burning or whining allowed. And if you didn't stop slamming the wooden screen door and constantly letting in the flies and mosquitos she locked the door...with that little hook in the bent over nail. Like that was a real "lock".

But today's kids seem to require so much assistance or entertainment just to get through the day...

Oh well, I'm sure they will grow up just fine.

1110 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, we played outside at that age, and younger, without anyone supervising us, but we knew better than to misbehave because we'd get the belt if it got back to mom and dad. And we did get it a few times and aren't damaged for it. There's no balance in today's world -- kids are either ignored, beaten and abused, or simply not disciplined. It's hard to believe that little kids can even think about doing the kinds of things that they do, but they see it on TV or in their homes. It's a big 'ol goofy world.

Us, too. Of course, those were the days that other adults would "rat you out" to your parents. I used to think my mother was a genius as I often wondered how she knew the things she did (e.g., we were playing near the train tracks that we were forbidden to go by). Today I would worry about how a parent would take my interest as "interfering."

1210 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda, we played outside at that age, and younger, without anyone supervising us, but we knew better than to misbehave because we'd get the belt if it got back to mom and dad. And we did get it a few times and aren't damaged for it. There's no balance in today's world -- kids are either ignored, beaten and abused, or simply not disciplined. It's hard to believe that little kids can even think about doing the kinds of things that they do, but they see it on TV or in their homes. It's a big 'ol goofy world.  

Us, too.  Of course, those were the days that other adults would "rat you out" to your parents.  I used to think my mother was a genius as I often wondered how she knew the things she did (e.g., we were playing near the train tracks that we were forbidden to go by).  Today I would worry about how a parent would take my interest as "interfering."

If they're your neighbors, they usually don't. In our old neighborhood, I ended up being friends with the parents that I went to with "ratting" out the kids. Most parents still want to know IMO. I've even called the cops a few times 10+ years ago on a couple of kids that were abusing animals or violating property. Most of the kids in our old neighborhood loved us because we took them to church and had VBS at our house or at my brother's clubhouse for years. I had an open door policy, a candy jar and a good ear and they wouldn't let anyone mess with us. I also gave out great stuff at Halloween -- kids remember this kind of stuff.

I can remember my dad saying that no one was going to spank his kids but him and telling that to my great-grandma when she babysat and smacked me with the flyswatter. I was about 3-4 and told my dad that she had spanked me and reminded him of what he'd said. Well, he said that grandmas were allowed to spank us, so I told my grandma "that's okay Grandma, you can spank me anytime". I was so dang precious!!! LOL

1310 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

my DH told me the similar stories about the way they grew up... they played ( he and his little sister, 15 months apart, so they were very tight 10 yr. old boys.... 1838020472  ).. he said, the worst they got was some scraps and bruises on they b*** or knees when they slid down the hills in their neighborhood or some spanks from their mom if they came home with muddy shoes because of playing on the muddy hills lol! 

yesterday my neighbor had to call the police because some kids was vandalizing the walls of our subdivisions, sometimes they tagged the stop sign, electricity box or trashed the empty lots... the worst thing they did was throwing rocks at the glass windows of the empty house, the kids walked by the houses on their way home from a middle school near our subdivision, picked up the rocks and threw them at the window.. 10 yr. old boys.... 2787578702  No  poor owner, had to replace the window, repeatedly, until somebody bought the house and now is occupied No Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

1410 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we were very young the yard had a crab apple tree right next to the road....you all know what is coming, I know.

I couldn't have been over 6 and my brothers were 8 & 9 (the baby was 2 so he wasn't included...) all 3 of us were up in that tree throwing crab apples at cars. Of course, we were not the brightest of children and actually got a hit.....on a POLICE CAR. And of course he pulled in the driveway and called us out of the tree. I think we were all crying even before Mom came out of the house. I don't remember a spanking but I do remember having to sit on a hard dining room chair facing the wall and only getting a slice of dry bread and a drink of water for our supper.

We never got to climb that tree again, either.

1510 yr. old boys.... Empty Re: 10 yr. old boys.... Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:When we were very young the yard had a crab apple tree right next to the road....you all know what is coming, I know.

I couldn't have been over 6 and my brothers were 8 & 9 (the baby was 2 so he wasn't included...)  all 3 of us were up in that tree throwing crab apples at cars.  Of course, we were not the brightest of children and actually got a hit.....on a POLICE CAR.  And of course he pulled in the driveway and called us out of the tree.  I think we were all crying even before Mom came out of the house.  I don't remember a spanking but I do remember having to sit on a hard dining room chair facing the wall and only getting a slice of dry bread and a drink of water for our supper.

We never got to climb that tree again, either.

I read your story to Dirk and he said they had a crab apple tree in their yard too, at that time they lived in St. Louis, his parents moved around a lot, from Indiana to Ohio, to St. Louise to CA and settled down in AZ

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]