Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

KFC overload....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1KFC overload.... Empty KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't cook last night. DD and GS had a frozen pizza and then headed off to the county fair. Dane played golf in his league and often goes out to a restaurant on the way home with his golf buddies for a bite to eat. Last night he decided to just head home after golf and he stopped at the KFC by our house.

He must have been hungry...and he must have wanted to try every new chicken dish they had. Usually he just gets himself a 2 piece original or some spicy wings, his favorite. Last night he showed up with a big box of boneless white meat chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw and something called hot bites, white meat coated chicken chunks with a spicy kick.

He ate some last night but there is a lot left over for lunch today for all of us.

The KFC store by us seems to do a nice job, looks clean and cared for and the employees have never confused our order. Reason enough to spend our take-out $$ there.

2KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I had one piece of fried KFC,not sure I think it was thigh.I was up half the night with heartburn. Twisted Evil pale 
that was last week.. No more for me.

3KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wonder which one of the secret spices did it to you ???

4KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I wonder which one of the secret spices did it to you ???

don't know but it could have been the breading or the grease.. I also tasted it all the next day too. TMI KFC overload.... 2855670339 

5KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 pm

NormM

NormM

I like KFC a lot but one time Cassie ordered the baked chicken. I had a piece and thought it was too dry.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I like their coleslaw. I like the dressing. I like the crunch. I like the way it still tastes like cabbage and not just the taste of the dressing.

And I like that through the years, even though there has been talk about how the recipe for the secret spices or what it is cooked in may have changed, the slaw has continued to be a constant.

7KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I love their spicy thighs, dip in my chilly sauce and have rice with it.. yumm... we have one close by our house, so we like to take out and eat them in our house, my DH eats with their biscuits and slaw KFC overload.... 3593629538 

in Indonesia.. KFC there sell rice too and to me the chickens taste much better then here.. smaller pieces but the spices taste just right
KFC overload.... 3593629538 

8KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always save the extra biscuits and wrap individually to put in the freezer. Then, when I get an uncontrollable urge for sausage gravy on biscuits I only have to make the gravy....the biscuits are already there. I also like to have just one biscuit once in a while warmed in the toaster oven and then butter and homemade jam...like a mid-morning snack with a cup of tea.

9KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

God, how I love biscuits!  We've got a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage in the fridge so I keep promising to make Brian a biscuit with sausage, scrambled egg and cheese.  I keep forgetting as I don't ordinarily eat breakfast.  When I was in Home Ec (my Catholic school called it "CFL" for Christian Family Living -- no lie!), they showed us how to scramble an egg a different way, sort of pushing the egg toward the middle with a spatula -- it's great to plop on a biscuit that way as it stays together rather than falls off the biscuit.  

For homework one night, we had to make a biscuit from scratch and bring it in to be graded the next day.  Of course, I used Bisquick so mine was really pretty and rose a lot.  I laughed 'cause all the chicks thought "Sister" would be able to tell that I cheated by using the Bisquick.  I just laughed and told them it was obvious they'd never cooked a thing in their lives!  They all howled when she complimented my biscuit in class and announced she was giving me an A!!

10KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm of the opinion the quicker you can get the biscuits, the better!

Once I found the cream biscuit recipe I never turned back....so quick and easy to do.

Recipe is:

2 1/4 c. White Lily self-rising flour
1 c. Heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. melted butter (my addition to the original recipe)

To flour, pour in cold heavy cream and melted butter. Stir to combine. Turn out on counter and knead 3 or 4 times to have all combined. Pat or roll to flatten and cut with biscuit cutter or (as I usually do) cut into squares with knife.

Bake at 425* for 15-18 minutes until light brown.

I love that the recipe only takes two or three ingredients. The high fat content of the whipping cream eliminates having to cut in butter or shortening. And the leavening included in the White Lily flour means you can make these biscuits in the time it takes to bake. I've never had them fail...what a shock!

11KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Once I found the cream biscuit recipe I never turned back....so quick and easy to do.

That recipe sounds good for us, too.  The only thing I don't usually have in stock is self-rising flour, which I'd be happy to get.  I know I can convert regular flour as I always have baking powder, but it's ALWAYS expired when I go to use it (as you can tell, I'm not much of a baker).

One good thing about Bisquick is that you can make so many things from it -- biscuits, pancakes, waffles, etc.  

I've copied that recipe for cream biscuits though for when the weather turns cooler and entitled it Beth's Cream Biscuits (late October if we're lucky).  When I met Brian, he said he didn't like biscuits, which I adore (I like anything with heavy carbs).  The first time I made them, he gobbled them down like he hadn't eaten in days.  When I asked, "What gives?" he replied, "I guess I've never had good biscuits before!"  My mom always made "drop biscuits" probably because they were quicker and easier when you have kids and work full time, but I always make rolled biscuits 'cause they're prettier (grin).

12KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Look for the White Lily self rising flour. It's worth the effort to locate it. I keep the opened bag in a lock-lock container in my freezer so everything stays fresh, since I don't use it as often as ap flour. The soft southern wheat makes a super tender biscuit, and I really like them. They rise up nicely and are falling apart tender when you bake them.

13KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Look for the White Lily self rising flour.  It's worth the effort to locate it.  I keep the opened bag in a lock-lock container in my freezer so everything stays fresh, since I don't use it as often as ap flour.  The soft southern wheat makes a super tender biscuit, and I really like them.  They rise up nicely and are falling apart tender when you bake them.

I've read that before about it, Beth, and see it in the grocery all the time. Will do. No room in my freezer for it but it will be put into a sealed freezer bag in the cabinet where I keep my flour.

14KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And the best thing is IF you decide to not make biscuits you'll end up making a dessert just to use the heavy whipping cream so it doesn't go to waste! How can that be a bad thing???

15KFC overload.... Empty Re: KFC overload.... Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:And the best thing is IF you decide to not make biscuits you'll end up making a dessert just to use the heavy whipping cream so it doesn't go to waste!  How can that be a bad thing???

Surely you jest, mon amie! Re-read that message to see the only thing I don't have on hand is the self-rising flour. This stuffed fridge always has whipping cream, heavy cream and half and half -- just in case. Seriously, though, Brian loves cream sauces so I always have it on hand.

Plus, I've been promising to make him homemade ice cream soon, as we have one of those electric ice cream makers (the old wooden crank type without the crank). I'm going to make vanilla and we're going to add our own stuff to it. We did that before and it was sooo much fun. We bought a bunch of different types of additives (different types of super cookies, macadamia nuts, chocolate chips, sliced fresh strawberries, etc.) and then mixed them into the vanilla ice cream in a bunch of sour cream containers in the freezer. There's something about homemade ice cream being left in the fridge freezer overnight -- tastes even better. We learned to put in the additives, freeze if for about an hour, and then turn the containers upside down so the additives get well mixed. God, we had a ball doing it as we had a bunch of bowls with the different additives on the counter. We both felt like we were 12 years old and were tickled pink that we didn't have kids we had to share with (though we did need to co-opt our neighbor's freezer for which help we promised some ice cream).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum