Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food / Celebration ??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just the two of us for the Eve. New year day??
I'm going to suggest a meal of Home Made Ravioli and sausage.
I guess peel and eat shrimp and dips and chips as we watch the Ball come down on the TV.

We used to have New Year Eve at friends houses. One year here, then the next year at another friends home....etc etc. That fizzled out as we got older, and prefered to sit on our butts and just laze around in our own house, and graze and drink close to our own beds.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with you, Jimmy. I don't care to do anything for New Year's......except go to bed early and see if I wake up and remember it's 2018!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm with you, Jimmy.  I don't care to do anything for New Year's......except go to bed early and see if I wake up and remember it's 2018!

Well, things are starting to run sour here like 15 minutes ago.
The word was that we will be celebrating GD's Birthday on the 1rst.
Her date of birth is the 29th of December.
So that usually means Dinner H E R E .... Who's cooking??....Not MEeeeee!
I told Tina....Get a few subs. And or..... a bag of Mrs T's Pierogi.

NormM

NormM

The first year we were here, I humored Cassie and had traditional Mexican New Years food. A friend asked me if I had my usual blackeyed peas and ham hocks. I told her no and if you hear about me having some bad luck in the coming year, you will know why. The next day I broke every bone in my ankle. Now I make sure to have my mom's Southern dinner on New Years.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good choice, Norm, good choice!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The first year we were here, I humored Cassie and had traditional Mexican New Years food.  A friend asked me if I had my usual blackeyed peas and ham hocks. I told her no and if you hear about me having some bad luck in the coming year, you will know why.  The next day I broke every bone in my ankle.  Now I make sure to have my mom's Southern dinner on New Years.

I believe it Norm....
We had an episode here on Christmas Day.... DD came over to help, and I was asked by Tina to dice the potatoes. I said, Oh Crap! I always get that job!.... With that, DD Picks up the chore, and slices the livin crap out of her left thumb.
I said,"Thank you Sweet Jesus for the punishment!" Tina took over the task. I was blamed, and there was too much friction at the time; so I just shut my mouth! ............... Damn!.............

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The first year we were here, I humored Cassie and had traditional Mexican New Years food.  A friend asked me if I had my usual blackeyed peas and ham hocks. I told her no and if you hear about me having some bad luck in the coming year, you will know why.  The next day I broke every bone in my ankle.  Now I make sure to have my mom's Southern dinner on New Years.

I said it the other day but it bears repeating, Norm. You sure did bend over backward for Cassie. And you never once even mentioned making so many sacrifices, much less complained. I remember when you switched rooms (floors, I think it was) with them so they'd have more room for "coming attractions." Even though she knew Charlie wasn't ready yet for that at the time. All that work and sacrifice for another of Cassie's wants!

I'll bet she misses YOU as well as Charlie! I'm not so sure about the flip side!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Just the two of us for the Eve. We used to have New Year Eve at friends houses. One year here, then the next year at another friends home....etc etc. That fizzled out as we got older, and prefered to sit on our butts and just laze around in our own house, and graze and drink close to our own beds.

Beth wrote:I'm with you, Jimmy. I don't care to do anything for New Year's......except go to bed early and see if I wake up and remember it's 2018!

Put us down in the same number! We used to go to several parties on the same night (when people had parties -- they don't have them as much anymore), and invariably left one not-so-fun party for another one of the same ilk, often ending up in the car on the highway at midnight! We decided one night while in the car that we'd both had enough, as none of the parties were really that much fun.

We then would make a dinner reservation at the last available time in a very nice restaurant, which was 9:30 p.m. at the time. With drinks before dinner and several courses, we'd be still at the table at midnight, which suited us just fine. Most of the nicer restaurants passed out glasses of Champagne and one year when we'd asked a couple of guy friends of ours who hosted US every Mardi Gras season since they were closer to the parade route than we were and loved Carnival as much as I do, the restaurant even passed out little gifts --they were nice gifts, too, and gender appropriate. We did that for several years and always enjoyed it.

Then we bought this house in 1998 and we wanted to celebrate here. One year we had a "cocktails, Champagne and desserts" party very late and everyone piled onto our balcony to watch the fireworks the City puts on at midnight -- we had fun but we thought people would NEVER leave! I'm laughing but it's true; it's also the sort of night that you hated to run people off but we decided once was enough of THAT!

Ever since then, we've stayed home. Since our home is across the street from a huge levee on the Mississippi River, tons of people show up to blow up their fireworks -- both the regular noisemakers and the ones that cost a fortune and are quite pretty. Most of the time, they aim the fireworks toward the batture, which is the nice wide piece of land between the levee and the river -- and AWAY from our house. But that's not always the case. Though shooting fireworks is illegal in Orleans Parish, the cops usually don't mess with people if no one complains or if they're doing it in a safe place and not endangering people or property. We've had to go outside a few times over the years to politely ask a few people to stop shooting them towards the homes versus the levee and the river (river traffic is suspended for about 30 minutes prior to and after the fireworks for safety's sake). We live in an historical neighborhood and the houses are all frame houses -- yes, they've been renovated, like ours, and most of them are 100+ years old. But they're still frame. And they can catch fire and would burn, I assume, rather quickly. Most people apologize and accommodate us or just quickly leave the area. Twice we've heard nothing in response, and we've gone back inside, only to have them continue to shoot them in the direction of the homes (well, right AT our house then -- these were adults in their 30s or 40s both times, too, not kids). So then, and only then, have we called the police. The cops never had to do a thing -- once the police cars showed up, the offenders left in a hurry. You hate to call them out but when you ask politely and people for some reason don't cooperate, you really have no choice.

So we now consider it a necessity to stay home just to make sure our house doesn't burn down. This year it seems as if it might rain -- perhaps only earlier in the day as the forecasts currently hint. But that, too, will reduce the crowds for not only the home-shooting crowds but will also limit the wall-to-wall bumper-to-bumper traffic on our street as midnight approaches, both on foot and via auto, headed to the river's "point" to be closer to the dueling barges where the fireworks are shot, or driving by to either try to find a parking spot on the levee (illegal but still done) or just trying to be in the 'hood when the fireworks start. If the levee is wet from rain earlier in the day or evening, not as many people will come out and sit or huddle in small groups while standing.

It's pretty cold this year so I doubt Brian will want to even go out and sit on the balcony. We're always in bed before then but the balcony is attached to our bedroom so we just have to step outside if we're awake and up for it. If it's really raining at that hour, the shoot will probably be canceled.

Re food, this is the first year I can remember where I won't be making a ham, black eyed peas and greens. Our new refrigerator is huge and we have tons of stuff in there, both uncooked and leftovers, the latter you might remember we're always fans of. The freezer, too, is stuffed to the gills. So we decided to just plan from there. We have almost a whole chicken I baked (it was 11 pounds!) the other day and it came out moist as all get out. We've had sandwiches from it but still have a lot of meat left on it. We still have some thick slices of rib roast left, too, and a tiny amount of Christmas sauce. I have a couple bags of fresh cranberries and a basket of satsumas I can use to whip up some homemade cranberry sauce to serve alongside the chicken or the beef. I can also make a cream sauce with big chunks of chicken and imported mushrooms and serve those in some puff pastry shells that keep waving to me from the freezer. We also have about a half-pound of shredded roast pork I can put in some barbecue sauce and serve on huge seeded buns that are still fresh and available. I also have a couple of bottles of Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce which I could use in lieu of barbecue sauce for the pork or to serve alongside roast chicken slices. And that's not everything that's available either! So you see why it would be downright wasteful for us to add a ham and its accompaniments into the mix. And I have some fresh sprouts, too, if we make sandwiches, as they make sandwiches nice and fresh and crunchy, too.

Yesterday we polished off a baked brie wrapped in puff pastry that I'd nixed from the Christmas menu when everyone was stuffed from the spicy sausage in puff pastry appetizers I made. It was delicious and pretty too -- stuffed with fig preserves and Marcona almonds. The two of us finished the whole thing with some sea salt burschetta and that served as our dinner!

I'm headed downstairs in a few minutes to start deciding with Brian what we should tackle for tonight! I'll bet the leftover roast beef bites the dust in a few hours...

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Oh my, I'm thinking to drop Black-eyed peas soup for New Year dinner, and have Menudo instead.. but now I have my second thought, I'm glad that Dirk grabbed a can of B-E peas when he was getting the white hominis, and I have a bit ham leftover from Christmas day dinner.. we always eat B-E peas soup for New Year, so I guess I'm going to do it again

Today we'll have Rib-eye steaks, wood grilled, I'm going to do it my usual way, coat them with mixed cornstarch + salt + black pepper, we like the crust and they are juicy because the coating seals and prevents the juice drop in the grill.. and then later, heading out for a short hike to see the last sunset of the year

We wish you a blessed, prosperous and happiest new year ahead

Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food /  Celebration ?? E86b8210

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy New Year to you and Dirk, Imelda!  Your pic is great!  All that healthy food you fix is keeping you both very youthful.  I'm glad you opted for the Black Eyed Pea Soup ~ you really need to stay with the 'lucky' traditions so you have another great year!

I've got my greens started for tonight.  We're having a mix of collards and turnip greens, simmered in some smoked pork neck bone broth I made yesterday.  There wasn't a smoked pork hock to be found anywhere in the stores yesterday so I ended up using the smoked neck bones.  The meat didn't look all that tasty to me so I just tossed it (I tasted it and it seemed to have given up all the flavor to the broth).

I'm thinking of making some rice to have with some canned black eyed peas to go with the greens and some braised pork steaks.

I had intended to grill my pork but it seems my grill has DIED.....May it rest in peace.  It was a good grill, but died from internal injuries (the burners completely rusted / rotted through).  ((sigh))

Tomorrow Dane's sister is coming so I will make my 'Northern' New Year's Day meal of pork and sauerkraut on spaetzle noodles.  

It seems like a lot of pork in a couple days, but it's suppose to be a 'good luck' tradition both here in The South and also in the German community I grew up in 'Up North' (in Ohio).

bethk

bethk
Admin

The greens are finished.....taste tested and I'm pretty happy.  I may have a bit more of the red pepper flakes heat as I also put in a heaping tablespoon of sambal oeleck which really ramped up the pepper taste.  I did add a little bit of brown sugar, as I always do, but then also drizzled in about 1 tsp. of molasses that I saw on a recipe from someone on the internet.  I'm always tucking away bits of info that sounds interesting to me to give it a try.

I don't think we'll need to add any Tabasco or homemade hot pepper vinegar at the table.  I might add just a tiny splash of regular cider vinegar ~ we'll see.  I really do like that little bit of 'kick' in flavor an acid adds at the last second.

I'm not sure about the Black Eyed Peas....all they had at Winn Dixie was a brand I've never heard of and they're 'seasoned'.  Nothing out of the ordinary but I usually like to season my own.  Actually, I just opened them and gave a taste ~ pretty bland if you ask me.....so I've got a piece of bacon cooking with some diced onion.  That always makes everything better!

The peas were really thin....not at all like the canned beans I usually get when I buy the Bush's brand. So I let them cook down a bit with the bacon & onion ~ still didn't taste quite right to me so I finally added a small diced roma tomato and a squeeze of ketchup. I think that's got it where I want the taste to be.

Now I wish it was supper time!

I decided on some brown basmatti rice and on the package it suggested if you wanted 'longer' grains to let it soak for 20 minutes prior to cooking. We'll see how it turns out!

cookingirl

cookingirl

I wanted to wish my friends here, a very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year...

Staying in.. having appetizers for supper... a bad day.. tomorrow, nothing special just a regular meal.. no traditions for me...

anyway

Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food /  Celebration ?? Happy-10
Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food /  Celebration ?? Happy-11
Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food /  Celebration ?? Happy-10
Happy New Year 2017 Eve / 2018 Day... Plans / Food /  Celebration ?? Happy-11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy New Year to you, Cyn!

May 2018 bring you much happiness and great health!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy New Year to All!
God Bless! .....

Jimmy & Tina

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A little more than than 4 hours, and we ring in the new year!
I just napped for an hour or so, and I'm more tired than before!
Just watching the "Nutzo's" on the tv in Times Square NYC. To each their own, I guess!

Tina boiled a smoked kielbasi, and made deviled eggs. I just had some.. ( *Burp* )
She is taking a rest in her recliner. She will get up and say happy new year to me, and then get on the phone and call the kids and some family. Then, back to sleep. Zzzzz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum