Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Washer / Dryer Combo

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

After 12 days with no washing machine our new Washer / Dryer Combo was delivered by Lowe's yesterday.

Mr. Amazing had removed the cord from the old (still working) dryer to install on the new unit ~ it always surprises me that he knows how to do all that stuff! Turns out he needed one tiny $1 part so we had to make a quick run to Lowe's electrical aisle to pick up some sort of cable holder....whatever.

It will take me some time to get use to this new machine ~ it's a water saving model and the laundry just gets sloshed around instead of filling the tub with water and agitating. We'll see how it does, although it really doesn't matter because I'm not going to return it and will just have to make up my mind to like it. But it sure is different from any washing machine I've had in the past.

It is nice that the unit is attached and stacked ~ full size but compact. The dryer is quite convenient and easy to access.

So, today is the day to get caught up on laundry....did two loads yesterday and have probably 2 more today (yeah, I know, it sure is different than when I did laundry for a family that included two teenage daughters!)

2Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We got a new LG washer a couple of years ago, Beth, and due to the horror stories I'd read, I got a top loading one again. Probably like yours, it senses the size of the load and only puts so much water in it. It, too, doesn't fill up like the old ones did. But I've got to tell you, we love it! It cleans very well, has lots of options, uses less water and washes a lot quicker than the old one.

I hope you love it! Lord knows, you went without one long enough!

How come Dane switched the cord? Are the newer cords shorter? I, too, am impressed that he knows how to do that.

3Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:13 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie's best friend moved from Topeka to Lawrence a few months ago and sold us his washer & dryer for about half price. They are front loading and stackable. The thing we have to be sure to do is wipe down the rubber seal of the washer after using and leave the door open so it dries out and doesn't develop odors. It saves water and dries the clothes more so the dryer isn't working as hard either.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

How come Dane switched the cord? Are the newer cords shorter?  I, too, am impressed that he knows how to do that.

The new units (combo or dryers) don't come with a power cord. They sell it separately according to the type of 220 v. outlet you have. Go figure ~ why would I know that? But he seemed to know all about it. Guess I'll keep him around! LOL

5Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie's best friend moved from Topeka to Lawrence a few months ago and sold us his washer & dryer for about half price.  They are front loading and stackable.  The thing we have to be sure to do is wipe down the rubber seal of the washer after using and leave the door open so it dries out and doesn't develop odors.  It saves water and dries the clothes more so the dryer isn't working as hard either.

Both my daughters had the front loading washers and both had 'stinky' clothes from water that sat in the trough at the door opening. Even leaving the door open wasn't enough to evaporate the moisture. They were constantly washing it down with bleach water to keep the mildew smell away.

6Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:09 pm

NormM

NormM

This washing machine is over 3 years old and it smells OK. They wiped it down every time and we are doing that too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

7Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Our washing machine came with the house when we bought it 8 years ago, it was still in very good condition, it's an old model, Whirlpool with a top loading, one set with the dryer, we did not have problem till last year, the water could not drain, so Dirk checked and searched internet, it said the switch of the lid was broken, so he watched Youtube how to DIY, we bought a new switch online, it was only about $5 with $5.99 shipping fee, it came in a week, and after working hard for more than 3 hours, he finally was able to replace it and put it back together, it worked well until last month, the motor coupler broke, the spinner was not working, so my laundry was dripping wet, Dirk went online again, found out what the problem was, than order the part for $17 with $7 shipping, it came in a week, this time it only took him 1 hour to replace the motor and put back the machine in its cabinet, because now he knew how to do it.. I was ready to buy a new one, it was sale week, most store offered good deal with free shipping, but he said he wanted to try to fix it first, it works well now

8Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

How come Dane switched the cord? Are the newer cords shorter?  I, too, am impressed that he knows how to do that.

The new units (combo or dryers) don't come with a power cord.  They sell it separately according to the type of 220 v. outlet you have.  Go figure ~ why would I know that?  But he seemed to know all about it.  Guess I'll keep him around!  LOL

Just out of curiosity, how much of an "add on" is the power cord, Beth? That would totally confound me and Brian unless they told us one needed it, and offered the cords for sale right there with the darn machines.

I'm impressed with Dane and also with Dirk's know how. A YouTube video couldn't possibly help us, as we don't have enough basic knowledge nor the confidence to even attempt such a repair, Imelda.

9Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the young lady said the parts AND labor to do the installation was around $60. She did tell us at the time of purchase and that's when Dane spoke up and said he'd do the installation himself.

So, I'm not sure how much just the power cord was. She just asked if our old one was black or grey. (and, no, I don't know what the color had to do with it.....LOL)

10Washer / Dryer Combo Empty Re: Washer / Dryer Combo Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:45 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think the young lady said the parts AND labor to do the installation was around $60.  She did tell us at the time of purchase and that's when Dane spoke up and said he'd do the installation himself.

So, I'm not sure how much just the power cord was.  She just asked if our old one was black or grey.  (and, no, I don't know what the color had to do with it.....LOL)

No, Beth, I did mean the cost for the whole shebang -- $60. That's not bad since it included hooking up the dishwasher to the appropriate hoses. I'd been thinking it was just to buy the cord, hook it up to the washer correctly and plug it in. Forgive me, as we don't even KNOW what we don't know, as I just proved!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum