Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lemons. to many??

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lemons. to many?? Empty Lemons. to many?? Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I did it again. I bought 8 lemons. A good idea at the time.

$3.

I don't like lemon in my tea so that is out.

Lemon chicken for sure.
Lemon meringue pie oh yes. I can make it sugar free. tongue

maybe grill some sort of fish with lots of lemon Laughing

so maybe I will use them up Laughing

2Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I do a lemon pudding cake that's really good - uses about 1/2 c. or more of fresh juice.

I'm sure you could adapt it to sugar sub.... I'll post the recipe if you'd like or just search for one. I make mine in custard cups sometimes and then stash in the freezer for individual desserts, they thawed fine and I just reheated a tiny bit in the microwave. Great fresh lemon taste without a whole lot of fuss.

3Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Sun May 26, 2013 7:02 pm

JanaAZ

How about lemon curd. I bet you could make that sugar free too.

4Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:How about lemon curd. I bet you could make that sugar free too.

Yep! Here's a short recipe for

Lemon Curd

3 eggs
3/4 c. sugar (use Splenda instead)
1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 cup lemon juice
4 Tablespoons butter, cold, cut in tablespoon-size pieces

In bowl or top of double boiler, whisk eggs until smooth. Whisk in sugar, zest and lemon juice. Place over small pan of simmering water and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick and pale yellow, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in butter, one tablespoon at a time, until thoroughly combined and smooth. Set bowl over ice, stirring frequently, to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and store in fridge up to 5 days.

Makes 1-1/2 cups.

You can use this on toast or scones, as filling for pre-baked tart shells, on pancakes or waffles, or use as a cake filling. I think it would be good on the side of grilled chicken, too, or as a basting sauce for fish.

5Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Thu May 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Here's another recipe for you, Barb. If the mint turns you off, you could use basil or tarragon.

Linguine with Lemon Cream Sauce
Serves 4.

2 Tablespoons butter
3 lemons, zested in threads and juiced
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon minced fresh mint
Salt and ground white pepper
1 lb. linguine or spaghetti, cooked and drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (and extra for sprinkling)

Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the lemon zest threads and juice, and boil about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add cream and mint, and cook 5 to 8 minutes to blend flavors and thicken slightly. Season generally with salt and pepper.

Place hot pasta in serving bowl. Top with sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Toss well and serve hot with additional Parmesan.

6Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Thu May 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

As you may have guessed by now, I love lemons! Here's another one for you that you might get some use out of.

Gremolata
Gremolata is a seasoning paste of lemon zest, garlic and parsley, and is the traditional accompaniment to braised veal shanks or osso bucco. It also does an excellent job of jazzing up grilled chops or chicken.

2 teaspoons grated and chopped lemon zest
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon minced parsley
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and store in the fridge if not serving immediately.

7Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Another thing I like to make when sauteing something on the stove is a lemon caper sauce.

You deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of lemon juice, scraping up the browned bits. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by about a third. Whisk in 1/4 stick butter (cut in 4 pieces), one piece at a time. Then stir in about 1 Tablespoon of capers.

This is great on chicken, pork chops or veal chops.

8Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Thu May 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Can you stand one more?

Lemon Parsley Basmati Rice
Serves 4.

1 cup basmati rice, rinsed 3 times
1-1/4 cups chicken stock
2 garlic cloves, minced
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley

Place the rice in a medium saucepan with the chicken stock, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook about 18 minutes for firm, dry rice. Stir in the parsley and cover again. Let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

9Lemons. to many?? Empty Re: Lemons. to many?? Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 am

jetfan27

jetfan27

Chicken Piccata

Season 4 Chicken cutlets
Sauté in 2 Tbs. olive oil
Deglaze with ¼ C white wine and one tsp. chopped garlic
Add ½ C chicken stock
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs. capers
Sautéed cutlets
Finish with 2 Tbs. butter
Fresh lemon slices
Garnish with chopped parsley

Season cutlets with salt and pepper, then dust with flour. Coat sauté pan with nonstick spray and add olive oil and heat over medium high heat.
Sauté cutlets for 2-3 minutes. Turn and sauté 1-2 minutes with pan covered.
Deglaze pan with wine and add minced garlic. Cook until garlic is slightly brown and liquid is almost gone. Add broth, lemon juice and capers. Return cutlets to pan and cook on each side for one minute. Transfer cutlets to a warm pan and finish off sauce with butter. Pour over cutlets and garnish with lemon slices and parsley. Serve over spaghetti.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum