Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Easter Plans?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Easter Plans? Empty Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

So what are you making?

I am making just some same ole same ole.

Ham,, glazed. Sweet potato something,maybe just baked & stuffed or hatch backed.Pineapple casserole/bread pudding thing.I got asparagus today for $1.87lb  cheers Easter Plans? 3267860543 ... Went to new grocery that just opened OMG what a store Easter Plans? 2599281016 Easter Plans? 2599281016 Easter Plans? 2599281016 

I might make a upside down cake ,just to finish off that fresh pineapple I bought.

2Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a Smithfield ham that was on sale. Thinking a small scalloped potato casserole. Asparagus. Maybe a strawberry/spinach salad ~ haven't had that in ages.

3Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:29 pm

NormM

NormM

I had not thought about it until someone asked me today if I was ready for Easter tomorrow.  All i had got so far was a loaf of Povitica bread.  I asked Cassie what she wanted and she said ham and greens. I also got navy beans and ham shanks the greens and beans.  I got sweet potatoes. I may make something that my sister serves at Thanksgiving with them. Asparagus sounds really good. I would have got some of that if I had thought about it before. I got some romaine for some kind of salad. There may be some strawberries and spinach left too. humm.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, here's the salad I'm going to make. It's surprising that the strawberry slices and red onion compliment each other as much as they do....

Strawberry Spinach Salad

1 ½ lb. Fresh baby spinach (washed & dried)
½ Pt. Strawberries, sliced
½ Small Red Onion, sliced thin into rings (allowed to sit in ice water to sweeten)

Poppyseed Dressing:
Whirl ½ c. Sugar, 1 t. Dry Mustard, ½ t. Salt and ½ c. Cider Vinegar in a blender or with hand blender. Gradually add 1 c. Vegetable Oil. When incorporated, stir in 1 T. Poppyseeds by hand.

Arrange spinach, onion slices and strawberry slices on individual plates. Drizzle lightly with Poppyseed Dressing. Serve immediately.

((this salad was a standard side at one of Toledo’s oldest restaurants))

5Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Lord.... are we having a feast tomorrow or what!

If you ask me...way way too much!

Turkey Breast
Stuffing Homemade...plus Stovetop for Lenny and DIL... they like crunchy veggies and onions.
Smoked and baked Cooks Ham
Lamb
Lasagna...a huge pan.
Kielbasi
Home made Sweet Bread... ( Tina )
Pineapple cake
Carrot cake
Mint Brownies
Asparagus
Cauliflower
beans
corn
Mashed Potatoes
Potato Salad
Sweet candied potatoes
and........................... I just pulled 4 Calabrese style Easter Pies out of the oven... ( Pizzagaina ) ... with sausage pepperoni.... provalone cheese... mozzarella cheese...Romano cheese diced boiled eggs.... bread crumbs... eggs....and spices.

6Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I just pulled 4 Calabrese style Easter Pies out of the oven... ( Pizzagaina ) ... with sausage pepperoni.... provalone cheese... mozzarella cheese...Romano cheese diced boiled eggs.... bread crumbs... eggs....and spices.

Is this just your recipe ????  Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 

Every time I see that pie, I think of Peeps saying 'oh the recipe is hers & it is private.. I will not share it'  Easter Plans? 1297124391 

7Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy, is the fleet coming for dinner?

Holy Moley....that's a LOT of food.

8Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
Is this just your recipe ????   Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 

Every time I see that pie, I think of Peeps saying 'oh the recipe is hers & it is private.. I will not share it'   Easter Plans? 1297124391 

I have never understood that mentality of keeping 'secret' recipes. First of all, I've yet to find any recipe that hasn't been made before. Oh, there might be small adaptions made to make it 'your own' but there are billions and billions of cookbooks published with the same basic recipes, and everyone claims the recipe was originated in THEIR family.

Quite honestly, I am honored and pleased whenever anyone asks for one of my recipes. It just proves to me that others have good taste! lol

I know my late mother in law refused to share a recipe she made for Christmas every year. She called it Bavarian Rice. Well, the first time I had it I recognized it immediately. My grandma made it and it was called Glorified Rice....rice, pineapple, nuts and whipped cream. Secret? I think not.

9Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I just pulled 4 Calabrese style Easter Pies out of the oven... ( Pizzagaina ) ... with sausage pepperoni.... provalone cheese... mozzarella cheese...Romano cheese diced boiled eggs.... bread crumbs... eggs....and spices.

Is this just your recipe ????

Yes it is... 100% ... and I have the recipe, but it is on adobe PDF file.
The computer won't transfer it to the WORD format program.
My subscription for office 365 ran out the other day. I had to buy a license and I'm waiting for the download card from Amazon.
I'm gonna post it; come heck or high water.

10Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:
Is this just your recipe ????   Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 Easter Plans? 2876911673 

Every time I see that pie, I think of Peeps saying 'oh the recipe is hers & it is private.. I will not share it'   Easter Plans? 1297124391 

I have never understood that mentality of keeping 'secret' recipes.  First of all, I've yet to find any recipe that hasn't been made before.  Oh, there might be small adaptions made to make it 'your own' but there are billions and billions of cookbooks published with the same basic recipes, and everyone claims the recipe was originated in THEIR family.

Quite honestly, I am honored and pleased whenever anyone asks for one of my recipes.  It just proves to me that others have good taste!  lol

I know my late mother in law refused to share a recipe she made for Christmas every year.  She called it Bavarian Rice.  Well, the first time I had it I recognized it immediately.  My grandma made it and it was called Glorified Rice....rice, pineapple, nuts and whipped cream.  Secret?  I think not.

Thousands of people make Easter pies. and Italians all have their favorite recipe's.
Like my Gram would put ricotta in them, and Dad used to holler..."Gee Maa, These darn pies are soppin wet.
Don't put the ricotta cheese next time!"....
My mom made them, and she did a lot of experimentation to get a happy medium.

She had a friend that her family owned a luncheonette across the street. They made the greatest hamburger chili and hot dog chili, and it was just a light brown with no tomato anything.
Her friend never would give a hint to the recipe, and Mom understood that.
Years passed, and the place closed down. There was no desire to reopen the place; the Mom and Pops died, and the brother wanted it no more.
After about 10 years....mom asked her friend again, for the recipe, and she flat out told my mom, "I will take that recipe to the grave, and nobody will EVER Get IT!....
Mom told her to make sure they stuck it ( you get the drift ) before they dump her in the hole in the ground.

Her best friend after that comment, had never called or had spoken to mom ever since.
When my mom was dying on her death bed, at the house, her so called friend came to see her, and was crying.
Mom said cry for yourself, and get the heck out of my house and away from my face. I don't need You or your darn Recipe!

11Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, that sounds like the one Cassie likes, right down to the poppy seed dressing. I think she adds nuts too.

I have added pineapple upside down cake to my menu and will make rum spiked whipped cream for it.

12Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is some of the baking going on today!

DD is here making cookies and baking cakes.
She just stuck a cross cake in the oven.

I don't know where she gets the energy to work, and come home and start baking stuff???

Easter Plans? Yj0a

Easter Plans? Mti5

Easter Plans? Suz5

Easter Plans? Rlk7

Easter Plans? K9hu

Easter Plans? Oexs

Easter Plans? Vnv6

13Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

But let me get this right, Jimmy....

You & Tina, Daughter & her boyfriend, Son & daughter-in-law, Granddaughter and ((maybe)) a friend... 7 or 8 people to eat dinner......

14Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy, is the fleet coming for dinner?

Holy Moley....that's a LOT of food.  

I know! ..... is that some menu or what??

I told Tina a Ham / turkey breast, and some kielbasa and veggies would be enough! .... No No No she said, everybody likes different stuff.
I said, Good, the diner is around the corner on Rt57.
They can knock theirselves out! and eat what they want.

15Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:But let me get this right, Jimmy....

You & Tina, Daughter & her boyfriend, Son & daughter-in-law, Granddaughter and ((maybe)) a friend...  7 or 8 people to eat dinner......

Yep, and her uncle and aunt, and friends Carol and Jerry, and son .

16Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Easter Plans? 4165659054  Easter Plans? 829809188  what a big feast you have, Jimmy.. I bet everybody will go home with stuffed tummies  Easter Plans? 3593629538 

I did not cook.. like every years, we go to my in-laws and I'm sure we will have ham and all the traditional side, I made some dessert, some individual lemon curd pies.. oh they are good.. we tested the lemon curd a bit, wow.. so good.. my DH can't wait to dig in to spoon it, too bad, I only made 7 glasses and all of them are for tomorrow, so he has to wait until after dinner tomorrow
 Easter Plans? 1838020472 lol! 

Easter Plans? DSCN3092

Easter Plans? DSCN3091

17Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, that sounds like the one Cassie likes, right down to the poppy seed dressing.  I think she adds nuts too.

I have added pineapple upside down cake to my menu and will make rum spiked whipped cream for it.

Norm, tell Cassie I liked her idea of adding nuts to the salad. I've got some toasted sliced almonds at the ready ((now I just have to remember to sprinkle them on the salad....not that I've EVER forgotten an ingredient in the past ~ a mind like a steel trap, that's ME! lol)).

And I'm also going to mix the spinach with a bit of romaine to lighten it up a bit....sometimes plain spinach is a little strong tasting to me.

18Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Easter Plans? 4165659054  Easter Plans? 829809188  what a big feast you have, Jimmy.. I bet everybody will go home with stuffed tummies  Easter Plans? 3593629538 

I did not cook.. like every years, we go to my in-laws and I'm sure we will have ham and all the traditional side, I made some dessert, some individual lemon curd pies.. oh they are good.. we tested the lemon curd a bit, wow.. so good.. my DH can't wait to dig in to spoon it, too bad, I only made 7 glasses and all of them are for tomorrow, so he has to wait until after dinner tomorrow
 Easter Plans? 1838020472 lol! 

[/img][/url]

Those look perfect, Imelda! I'm thinking I should make some lemon pudding cakes one of these days. Of course, I'm also hungry for a batch of crème brulee....decisions, decisions, decisions!

19Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My buffet for two....hmmmm, I see ham sandwiches in our future.

Easter Plans? EasterBuffet042014

20Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks great.. You ate already? I just now put my ham in the oven lol.

21Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

yup!

Dane got to pick the time. It reminds him of when he sat at his grandma's 'children's table' and after they ate the kids got to walk to the movie theatre so the adults could converse and play cards and drink Buckeye Beer.

22Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner kept growing after I read all the stuff you all were making. Here are pictures of the dishes.
Not pictured are the cornbread muffins.

Easter Plans? DSCN1370_zpsdd5cdcae

Easter Plans? DSCN1376_zps01a72c1b

Easter Plans? DSCN1368_zps918d1a9d

Easter Plans? DSCN1367_zpsbe5a3ed0

Easter Plans? DSCN1366_zps8a34d688

Easter Plans? DSCN1365_zps196cd52e

Easter Plans? DSCN1363_zpse258cb98

Easter Plans? DSCN1361_zps03fe526d

Easter Plans? DSCN1371_zps8a108ea1

23Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dinner kept growing after I read all the stuff you all were making. Here are pictures of the dishes.
Not pictured are the cornbread muffins.

Easter Plans? DSCN1370_zpsdd5cdcae

Easter Plans? DSCN1376_zps01a72c1b

Easter Plans? DSCN1368_zps918d1a9d

Easter Plans? DSCN1367_zpsbe5a3ed0

Easter Plans? DSCN1366_zps8a34d688

Looks really good.
Love that bread! Tina makes a similar called Nut Rolls, and also poppyseed filled rolls. That is unusual she didn't make it this Easter???

Easter Plans? DSCN1365_zps196cd52e

Easter Plans? DSCN1363_zpse258cb98

Easter Plans? DSCN1361_zps03fe526d

Easter Plans? DSCN1371_zps8a108ea1

24Easter Plans? Empty Re: Easter Plans? Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Amazing how you try to have everyone's 'favorite'.....quite the feast!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum