Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yeast.....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Yeast..... Empty Yeast..... Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I just bought a big pack of active dry yeast, 2 lbs.. now I'm wondering how to store them, should I freeze them or just let them in my pantry?

2Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Freezer. will last forever .

3Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

thank you Barbara... will do

4Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina bought a pound of active dry yeast Nov. 2012, and it had an expire date of Dec. 2013.
I keep it in the refrigerator, and I am still using it. It is still active, and no problems with raising pizza or bread dough. I used it yesterday, and the dough for the pizza doubled in size in 30 minutes.
I had to keep poking it to keep it in the bowl.

5Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 12:55 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Hi guys. I'm back for a minute. We finally sold our house and are moving to Whiting, NJ. It is a 55+ community and we are scared but also looking forward to the move. Our families are ecstatic. It's only an hour and a half to Long Island. We have to be out of our house by June 6. A lot of crap to do but I promise when we get settled, I will be here more.
And I store my yeast in the freezer and it is good for years, literally.

6Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

^^^^^^^  Yeast..... 4137497845 Yeast..... 2790317363 Yeast..... 940422454 

7Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Stephen! Thanks for stopping by.

We moved to The Villages, FL a year and a half ago. It also is a 55+ Active Adult Community. Believe me when I say, you are going to LOVE it. There are so many activities geared for mature adults. You can have kids or grandkids visit, yet you do not have to put up with the antics of someone else's rude and unruly children on a regular basis. I do NOT miss the nasty language being screamed outside at night, nor the 'thump*thump*thump' of a car or truck radio as I sit at a traffic signal.

Yes, there are some slow people, but they usually have a smile on their face and actually make eye contact when they say, "good morning"!

8Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 2:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

jetfan27 wrote:Hi guys.  I'm back for a minute. We finally sold our house and are moving to Whiting, NJ. It is a 55+ community and we are scared but also looking forward to the move. Our families are ecstatic. It's only an hour and a half to Long Island. We have to be out of our house by June 6. A lot of crap to do but I promise when we get settled, I will be here more.
And I store my yeast in the freezer and it is good for years, literally.

Great to hear from you Jetfan27....
Great Area to move to......near Toms River..; Close to I-95 or the GSP to flip over to the LIE... Great!
You will adjust, and although back to the Fast pace, it is only mildly faster than the NY area, but I'm sure you are used to that! LOL

God Bless, and lots of luck to you and yours.

Jimmy!

9Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 6:26 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM MY OLD FRIENDS. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO LIVING THERE. LOTS OF THINGS TO DO. WE ARE TOTALLY EDUARDO FROM PACKING. .WE WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED ON OUR WHEREABOUTS.

10Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 6:27 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Jimmy, maybe we can get together in the future.

11Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 7:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

jetfan27 wrote:Jimmy, maybe we can get together in the future.

Yeah!.... I'll cook....and you bake the bread.

The closest good Italian seeded twisted bread we can get, is at Anthony & Sons bakery in Denville, NJ....1/2 hr. east of me.
They were a bakery that started in Paterson, NJ years ago; then they moved there huge operation to Denville.
They supply restaurants with their breads and rolls. Smile 

We have no good bakeries in this area. Panera's is where everyone goes.
I can't eat their bread without tearing my gums it is so tough and rubbery.
Sometimes you may get a halfway decent loaf, but that is if they let it proof properly and bring it up to room temp before baking. They got kids baking, and all they do is pull out the frozen loaves and stick them in the ovens way to quickly before they are even thawed fully.....  Evil or Very Mad 

As you know, that is Not Good!

12Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Is that the bread I used to buy when I lived in Baltimore.? A&S. OMG so good.

13Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 8:05 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

I will bake the bread. My aunt used to live in Denville at the assisted living at that big Catholic monestary. Just outside of town.

14Yeast..... Empty Re: Yeast..... Thu May 22, 2014 8:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

jetfan27 wrote:I will bake the bread. My aunt used to live in Denville at the assisted living at that big Catholic monestary. Just outside of town.

Yep!... Saint Francis' ... on Pocono Rd.
I installed the chillers and A/C Systems when they upgraded a few years ago.
Nice Place!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]