Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you checked your Car Key Junk Lately?

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have you heard about the weight of junk on your car ignition key holder, can turn the key off from the run position, and cause loss of control of your vehicle?

The link to the problem mentions the Chevy Cobalt Model, but I would be careful that it doesn't happen with friends and family.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140213/OEM11/140219933/gm-recalls-778000-cobalts-pontiac-g5s-for-engine-cutoff

Now....Just for Kicks and Giggles, I checked Tina's Key strap / hooks and cards and stuff.  No 

Have you checked your Car Key Junk Lately? 8l9a

We reduced all this to just her car key. She is going to get a small strap for that, and she can just keep all her other junk separate!
Better to be safe than sorry!  Rolling Eyes 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have my car key, two of those little store cards, a house key and the mailbox key.

I think I'm OK.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I have my car key, two of those little store cards, a house key and the mailbox key.

I think I'm OK.

Mine is just the key fob and the key...period. I cannot stand all that clanking while the car is driving.

Years ago, we used to coast on the roadway especially down hill, and shut the key off, then after 5 seconds, turn the key back on, and the car would backfire. I used to do that if someone was riding my axx. That was only with carburated cars. Wont work with fuel injected cars of today.

Only risk, was blowing the muffler off if you waited too too long to turn the key back on.

Crybaby

Crybaby

We ony use the car key on the key fob, too, Jimmy. When I learned to drive (we could get a license in LA at 15), my dad told me not to put a lot of keys on the ring with the car key. Back then, we listened!  Very Happy 

Plus, since we live in the city and sometimes use parking garages and lots where others park and retrieve your car, we don't want any house keys or any other keys on there that strangers have access to.

I'm like you, too -- I wouldn't be able to stand hearing all those keys jingle!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:We ony use the car key on the key fob, too, Jimmy.  When I learned to drive (we could get a license in LA at 15), my dad told me not to put a lot of keys on the ring with the car key.  Back then, we listened!   Very Happy 

Plus, since we live in the city and sometimes use parking garages and lots where others park and retrieve your car, we don't want any house keys or any other keys on there that strangers have access to.  

I'm like you, too -- I wouldn't be able to stand hearing all those keys jingle!!

Haaaaaa! It is not that the sound of the clanging makes me crazy, it's the fact that it rubs and scratches the surrounding paint / plastic around the key slot! I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine!
My daughter has a habit of shutting off the car, and then Yanking the key out of the slot with the funky strap that her key's are on. I told her,"Dolly, one day the key is gonna break off in the ignition switch, and you will be looking at a locksmith fee and new key for around 300.00. It was only advise, and like they say,"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!" No 

Bugster2

Bugster2

My wallet is my keychain. Only one key but a heavy wallet is attached. I sort of have no choice. I also have a hook to attach the whole thing to my belt loop so I won't lose it or leave it in a shopping cart. All the wallet carries is a credit card, my AAA card and my license and a few dollar bills. After leaving my purse one too many times in a shopping cart, I switched to this system. It seems to have kept me out of trouble.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Remember...this recall is for the Chevy Cobalt and a pontiac model?
There is a chance that others may be susceptible to the same thing happening! / ?

My car has the ignition key switch on the dash about 4 inches from the radio switches.
I guess the switches on the steering column may be more prone to a faulty turn off?

My DIL's car Hyundai Sahara 2013 hs No Key to stick in. She just pushes a button to start the car. She has to have the key card with her though, or it will not start. I don't like that!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Just one more thing to break and expensive to repair. So what happens if the electrical goes on the fritz? With no key you can't start your car. I'll pass.
I saw on the news this morning where a man was taking a brand new 2014 Yukon for a test drive. Suddenly they had no control of the car but were able to pull over safely. The interior started to fill with smoke. They hopped out and the car blew up. They were very fortunate to have not been hurt. I guess the buyer will be choosing a different car.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/hyundai-push-button-start-problem/

OMG.... I would want a regular key on the car if I bought one! No way would I put up with all the BS.

All these cars like the Toyota Problems with runaway and can't stop, is not the drivers fault. I don't believe it for one minute.
Most of the people have been driving for years without incident, and all of a sudden, they push on the gas pedal instead of the brake???
I don't think so!  Mad 

Barbara101

Barbara101

they push on the gas pedal instead of the brake???

Not funny if it happened to you but that Liberty Insurance Comm cracks me up.Where the guy doing in reverse, rips out his garage.

Not that I ever did that  Shocked affraid Have you checked your Car Key Junk Lately? 2855670339 pale 

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/hyundai-push-button-start-problem/

OMG.... I would want a regular key on the car if I bought one! No way would I put up with all the BS.

All these cars like the Toyota Problems with runaway and can't stop, is not the drivers fault. I don't believe it for one minute.
Most of the people have been driving for years without incident, and all of a sudden, they push on the gas pedal instead of the brake???
I don't think so!  Mad 

I don't understand that if the accelerator stuck why wouldn't they pop the trans into neutral? I have had it happen with a car that had a carburetor. Took it out of gear immediately. Same when my brakes failed. Grabbed the emergency brake, pushed in the button and slowly pulled up on the lever.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
I don't understand that if the accelerator stuck why wouldn't they pop the trans into neutral? I have had it happen with a car that had a carburetor. Took it out of gear immediately. Same when my brakes failed. Grabbed the emergency brake, pushed in the button and slowly pulled up on the lever.

Hence the name, 'EMERGENCY' brake.....

good call, Bugster

Bugster2

Bugster2

My DH taught me about the emergency brake and the neutral/trans. I was coming off of the freeway, put my foot on the brake and it went to the floor so I grabbed the brake and came to a stop. Prolly saved my life thanks to my DH.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Have you ever had your horn get stuck? I did. I didn't even use it. It just went off by itself and I couldn't get it to stop. It was so embarrassing driving home with my horn blaring and everyone looking at me like I was nuts. When I got home my DH did something to the steering column to get the horn off.

My father, the idiot, came home one day and couldn't get the car to turn off. What he did was open the hood and started pulling out wires. Stupid $nit! Why didn't he just drive to a gas station or the mechanic? Ended up costing him quite a bit in repairs.

LisaSD

LisaSD

Bugster, we had a car horn go off at 4 am in a huge apartment complex when I was first married. The neighbors next door (closest to the parking lot) were banging on our door to come and stop it! We ran to the car and my husband pressed on the middle to make it stop and didn't want to let go in case it was still going to blow. So I got out the manual and read how to disable it by removing the fuse. The car dealer told us that what probably happened is that the steering wheel expanded in the heat of the day and then compressed down with the frigid temperatures at night. That whole incident was so embarassing because who knows how long it had been blowing before they figured out whose car it was and who to wake up! Argghh!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

LisaSD wrote:Bugster, we had a car horn go off at 4 am in a huge apartment complex when I was first married.  The neighbors next door (closest to the parking lot) were banging on our door to come and stop it!  We ran to the car and my husband pressed on the middle to make it stop and didn't want to let go in case it was still going to blow.  So I got out the manual and read how to disable it by removing the fuse.  The car dealer told us that what probably happened is that the steering wheel expanded in the heat of the day and then compressed down with the frigid temperatures at night.  That whole incident was so embarassing because who knows how long it had been blowing before they figured out whose car it was and who to wake up!  Argghh!

Hey Lisa...How's it going? How are you feeling? (And don't say with your hands!) hahahahaha

That car horn story is funny. It happened to me once. I noticed the car window was down in the driveway, and I reached inside and pulled the door button up.
#1... I nearly had a heart attack when the darn horns went off, and I had to run to the house to get the key thing; and on the way back to the car, I missed a step and twisted my ankle. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]