Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!)

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

This was in the paper today and I might make it for myself, as I have a couple of pounds of Louisiana crawfish in the freezer. They sell it here occasionally (aoubt $9 to $10 a pound) and I buy a few pounds to put in the freezer. I know most of you have no access but I'd bet this would work with some cooked shrimp, too, cut in pieces if they're large, considering a cooked and peeled crawfish tail is a bit smaller than an inch in length. At any rate, the recipe sounds really good:

Crawfish Pie
Recipe from “In Judy’s Kitchen,” The Times-Picayune, 9.18.13
Recipe originally from Marcelle Bienvenu.
Makes 6 servings.

4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (increase to 1/2 teaspoon if you like very spicy food)
1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes
1 lb. crawfish tails
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water (I’m thinking white wine here)
2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and celery, and cook, stirring until the veggies are soft and golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the salt, cayenne and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the crawfish tails and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the water (or wine, if you’re using) and add to the pan. Stir for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Add the green onions and parsley and stir to mix. Remove from the heat and cool for about 30 minutes.
Pour the crawfish mixture into the pie crust. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the edges of the pie crust are golden. Cool for 15 minutes or so before cutting into wedges to serve (it slices better if you wait this amount).

2Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We like fried crawfish tails but I know we've never seen a crawfish pie at any restaurant.

I'm thinkin' if you chopped the tails (we can get them in the frozen section) and made appetizer size in those little phylo cups it would be great for a party.

3Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We like fried crawfish tails but I know we've never seen a crawfish pie at any restaurant.

I'm thinkin' if you chopped the tails (we can get them in the frozen section) and made appetizer size in those little phylo cups it would be great for a party.
Even better if in the little puff pastry shells, Beth!

Just remember to check the label to make sure they're Louisiana crawfish. The ones from China aren't half as good and they taste a little tinny...

4Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Agreed, Crybaby....I don't think I purchase ANY fresh/frozen food products from China. Especially the farmed shrimp....YUK!

I thought the appetizer size would be nice because it seems like it would be too rich in a whole pie.

5Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:08 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Here in Ohio we call them crawdads and they are in any little creek that runs through here. Did you try to catch them as a kid, Beth? My brother and dad were always down at the creek catching crawdads, I couldn't stand that kind of stuff. I have had crawfish etoufee.

6Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Catch 'em when they were alive???

NO THANK YOU ! I didn't even like to take the fish I caught off the hook. Don't like bugs, spiders, live "slippery" things.

I figure that's why others deserve to get paid for their products to sell.....LOL

7Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When the Sussex County Fair in Jersey is here, they have a Crawfish feast, and also have Alligator Sausage shipped up here fresh. That is so delicious.
Son Jimmy Loves crawfish, and can sit and suck them tails by the hundreds. BTW, the Saints is his team.

8Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When the Sussex County Fair in Jersey is here, they have a Crawfish feast, and also have Alligator Sausage shipped up here fresh. That is so delicious.
Son Jimmy Loves crawfish, and can sit and suck them tails by the hundreds. BTW, the Saints is his team.
They are indeed delicious and not half as filling as say, boiled shrimp. You can eat several pounds of crawfish without filling up.

Go Saints! We beat the AZ Cardinals yesterday 31 to 7 and like several teams, we're 3-0.

9Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 am

Niagara Visitor

That sounds so delish.... My sons caught something like that in a local creek many years ago. I was surprised that we could have them here in Canada.

10Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Empty Re: Crawfish Pie (Me Oh My!) Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:05 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:That sounds so delish.... My sons caught something like that in a local creek many years ago.  I was surprised that we could have them here in Canada.

I'm always surprised where they turn up. You'll see people here catching the wild ones in ditches near the side of the road, though a lot of them are farmed today, I believe. They're really good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum