Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Flash fried chicken

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Flash fried chicken Empty Flash fried chicken Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

As I was sitting here a few minutes ago I had The Food Network on the TV. "The Best Thing I Ever Made" is on, where different FN cooks explain some dish they deem "best". Normally, I just have the TV on for the sound and distraction, but once in a while something will catch my attention.

So, Rocco Dispirito was the featured cook. He's never been a favorite of mine, ever since a program he did on creating a new restaurant. But, he has, of late, been promoting a lower fat/calorie way of cooking and I find the concepts interesting. He was demonstrating how to make a lower fat fried chicken to use in a fried chicken salad.

He used boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces, seasoned and then pre-cooked in the microwave for a minute or so, turned over, seasoned on the second side and cooked for another minute or so in the microwave. Then, after cooling enough to handle, he dredged in foamy egg white and then a mixture of whole wheat flour and cornmeal.

From the dredge the pieces were flash fried in 400 degree grape seed oil for 12 seconds. Done. Removed and seasoned a bit again and served with a cool, crisp salad.

I really liked the idea of the pre cooking of the chicken bites so the time in the hot oil was decreased. The best of both worlds, so to speak.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum