Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

School starts

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1School starts Empty School starts Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our grandchildren in Indiana start school tomorrow. This morning they continued their tradition of going out for breakfast at The Corner Diner, where they have gone the day before school starts for the last 4 years. I love traditions like that, something the children will remember with fondness when they are old and grey.

Earlier this week DD told our GD, who is going to start 3rd grade, she had to complete some math work sheets before the start of school. Well, she did the addition, she did the subtraction.....but, she was tired. She didn't want to do the multiplication. It's not that she has forgotten, she just doesn't like to do the practice sheets.

She told her mom she thought she would not take math this year....

Her mom told her that was something she would have to discuss with her teacher. It wasn't a decision a mom could make.

And our GD is just the type to think through her reasons and then bring up the subject to her teacher. Wish I could be there if she does....hahahahahahaha!

2School starts Empty Re: School starts Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:07 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

You've gotta love 'em, though! Man, school starts earlier and earlier.

3School starts Empty Re: School starts Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the school district is moving toward a more flexible year 'round school year where there is less time needed for remedial teaching due to what gets forgotten over the summer. So they are starting school two weeks earlier but they also have a two,week break/vacation in October.

Our 8th grader GS has almost 600 in his class. They have a school complex just for them...one school, one grade..

4School starts Empty Re: School starts Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

when I was in school a 100 yrs ago, we did not go back till after labor day.The trees where turning & we got to wear our new fall clothes.Now the kids go back so soon & it is HOT & they wear flip flops & shorts.Some schools do not have air cond either so they they have half days. Dumb.. If you ask me.

5School starts Empty Re: School starts Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The "summer off" school year was designed around a time when children were needed to help at home to plant and harvest crops. That is no longer the case. So the "year 'round" model has been in the works for years. My cousins in California attended high school like that. Still 180 school days, just more one or two week breaks.

6School starts Empty Re: School starts Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:13 pm

NormM

NormM

I remember when summer vacation started Memorial day and lasted until Labor Day

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

7School starts Empty Re: School starts Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:40 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I remember when summer vacation started Memorial day and lasted until Labor Day

That's pretty much what we had here when I was in school, Norm, but then again, we never had snow days to make up for like Brian did (he usually got out near his birthday, which is June 22, but he usually started after Labor Day).  Now that I'm not in school (grin), I really think it's a good idea for kids to go to school all year long.  I know the summer is often a burden for people to "fund" camp or babysitters when both parents work or it's a single parent.  Lord knows how far we're falling behind other industrialized countries re the education of kids.  I'm not a parent but it seems like year round school would be better for the parents, too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum