Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have turkeys in the freezer

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I have turkeys in the freezer Empty I have turkeys in the freezer Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have been thinking for some reason to thaw one out & maybe maybe grill it. ??

IDK. might want to wait till I either get a smoker or gas grill with more then one burner.

2I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't know, Barb, you should be able to load up the side of the big Weber for a nice long indirect cook...ok, so maybe you'd have to add to it a couple times, but if you're using the hardwood it lasts a long time.

But if you're thinking of a new gas grill, I highly recommend the CharBroil Infared one. I love mine. No flare ups, no burned stuff and heats up super fast so it uses less gas for most stuff.

3I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 am

JanaAZ

I have been grilling turkeys for over 30 years. Actually, they cook faster on the grill than they do in the oven. Personally, I make mine on a charcoal grill rather than the gas grill. I love the flavor that the smoke imparts.

I usually have a turkey in the freezer that I use in the summer. However, last year, we didn't get the turkey during the sale time and I didn't have one. Sad 

4I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We have turkey several times a year since Brian smokes 'em. Delish. He cruised by the grocery today and told me that turkeys were $1.59/lb. I guess they'll be coming down soon.

Wish we had a separate freezer like you do, Barb...

5I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wish we had a separate freezer like you do, Barb..

I have always had big freezers.Then ended up with the fridge freezer.Way to small...I got this small box type off craigs list (when it was safe lol)50$. the kid even brought it .It fits just right on my patio.PIA when something I want is on the bottom & I have to unload stuff that I threw in .But I sure like having it..

6I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:Wish we had a separate freezer like you do, Barb..

I have always had big freezers.Then ended up with the fridge freezer.Way to small...I got this small box type off craigs list (when it was safe lol)50$. the kid even brought it .It fits just right on my patio.PIA when something I want is on the bottom & I have to unload stuff that I threw in .But I sure like having it..
Heck, I have to dig stuff out of the freezer in my new French Door fridge. Yep, I wouldn't even mind a little chest type one -- but no place to put it. Brian's friend who was visiting suggested -- no lie! -- blocking the back kitchen door that leads to the deck with a freezer. I just looked at him and said, "Yeah, Jimmy, and once I do that, I guess I'll drag a sofa out on the freaking balcony, too!" Brian just looked at him like he was crazy.

7I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know someone who got a stacked washer/dryer unit (the Whirlpool one, looks small but is actually full size). They used the additional space for a small chest freezer.....the laundry was in a closet-like space behind bifold doors none was seen when the doors were shut but readily available.

8I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I know someone who got a stacked washer/dryer unit (the Whirlpool one, looks small but is actually full size).  They used the additional space for a small chest freezer.....the laundry was in a closet-like space behind bifold doors none was seen when the doors were shut but readily available.  

lol that is what I was going to say.I would do it in a heartbeat If I needed to.

9I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD has a stacked washer / dryer. It fits under her steps up to the second floor bedrooms. Their place is small, but they have two good sized bedrooms upstairs. She at least has a freezer under refridge on top. It does take up space from the kitchen, but her builder boyfriend built it inside the wall a bit. The rest is in our greezer here as she needs it.
Those stacked washer dryer units are expensive.
Theirs had a bad bearing and seal that was causing it to leak. The replacement assembly was 387.00 plus shipping.

I told her BF to bring me the bearing and the old seal.
I matched it with a same # bearing for 12.00 and the seal was a automotive transmission shaft seal...4.88
Shipping cost me 5.00. So for about 30.00, we installed the bearing and seal. The company said it was mposible to remove the bearing. We froze the bearing with dry ice, and it practically fell out with a light tap. Winner!!!

Tina and I would have bought them a new unit, but 30.00 was a better deal. Luckily!

Those units are almost full size. She loves it.

10I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

It must be wonderful to be so freaking handy, Jimmy!  And to have the confidence, too, to know you can fix something.  Boggles my mind as it would Brian's too!Very Happy

11I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:It must be wonderful to be so freaking handy, Jimmy!  And to have the confidence, too, to know you can fix something.  Boggles my mind as it would Brian's too!Very Happy

Thanks so much!
Since I was a little kid, I always would take things apart to see how they worked. Not Putting feathers in my own hat, But I've had a great start with Dad being a Master Plumber, and teaching me that trade.
I worked very hard as a kid. When other kids at 7 years old were on summer vacation, I was working and learning the Plumbing Trade and installing Boilers eating systems, and installing Bathroom fixtures and complete plumbing systems.

I later joined the Navy and worked on Boilers on the ships. I transferred out of the fleet, and became a SeaBee working in the construction batallians.
I ran desalinating plants in GTMO ( Guantanamo Bay U.S. Cuba )

I came out and ran Large Air Conditioning plants in Communications and Computer stations.
I had some formal training and I was so happy to have that when returning to civilian life. LOL LOL
I worked installing and starting up large A/C systems .
I later as I got older, worked designing electro-mechanical systems in building energy management .
There were a lot of other jobs in between. My hobby was auto mechanics and fixing just about everything that broke. hahahahahahaha....
Gimme a bag of elastic bands, and a roll of duct tape, and Will try and fix it. hahahahaha

Jimmy ~ A Jack of All Trades and A master of None! LOL

12I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Jimmy ~ A Jack of All Trades and A master of None! LOL
I'm here to disagree wholeheartedly. And I loved hearing about how you came about being so handy.

My expensive blow dryer broke many years ago (I got one like a hairdresser uses -- they're not only powerful but have really long power cords, which is an asset for me). I was so disgusted that I got a screwdriver, opened it up and looked for what "looked wrong." Well, turns out I fixed the darn thing. Took me forever to "smush" all the little wires back in and out of the way until I could close it up and put the screws back in. Poor Brian had to hear about my fixing the hairdryer for well over a year, I'm sure. It STILL makes me smile when I think of it!

13I have turkeys in the freezer Empty Re: I have turkeys in the freezer Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Jimmy ~ A Jack of All Trades and A master of None! LOL
I'm here to disagree wholeheartedly.  And I loved hearing about how you came about being so handy.  

My expensive blow dryer broke many years ago (I got one like a hairdresser uses -- they're not only powerful but have really long power cords, which is an asset for me).  I was so disgusted that I got a screwdriver, opened it up and looked for what "looked wrong."  Well, turns out I fixed the darn thing.  Took me forever to "smush" all the little wires back in and out of the way until I could close it up and put the screws back in.  Poor Brian had to hear about my fixing the hairdryer for well over a year, I'm sure.  It STILL makes me smile when I think of it!
I'm Proud of you too! .... Now this takes me to the episode of I Love Lucy, when Lucy fixed the car with a bobby pin. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum