Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cucumber Cups

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cucumber Cups Empty Cucumber Cups Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The first time I saw these little cucumber cups I thought they were such a clever idea to hold just about any small bite - shrimp salad, chicken salad, cheese spread - of course, it's an idea I stole,er, borrowed from someone on the internet.

I did find some hints along the way I thought I'd share. I like to use the English cucumbers because the skin is usually not bitter and there's no waxy coating. I cut the cucumbers into 2" - 2 1/2" lengths and then cut each piece diagonally to give them some interesting shape. I used a small melon baller to remove the seeds, being careful to not break through the bottom. Then I salted them fairly heavily and allowed them to sit to draw out some of the moisture. When they had watered sufficiently I gave them a good rinse and placed them upside down on a flour sack covered sheet pan & covered with another to absorb any more water. I like to use the flour sack towels for tasks such as this because they're cheaper than a bunch of paper towels, they are always available in my kitchen drawer and all I have to do is toss 'em in the washer with a bit of bleach to keep 'em fresh. I think these got filled with some chunky fresh summer salsa (when I had the surplus of homegrown tomatoes).

Cucumber Cups 11-24-11

2Cucumber Cups Empty Re: Cucumber Cups Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Those look very pretty, B.

3Cucumber Cups Empty Re: Cucumber Cups Tue May 14, 2013 12:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Crybaby.

Interesting just recently I saw similar cucumber cups on Giada...she just cut her's into about 1" slices and used a melon baller to remove the "hole". She filled hers with a white bean hummus, something I've made and really like. I think the main ingredient flavor I look for in hummus is the tahini, doesn't take a lot but it's a flavor I really like. And the white beans (canalini - sp?) are easy to find now and have a nice creamy texture when processed in a food processor, mini chop or even a hand crank food mill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum