Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?"

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mrs. Swanson cooked supper tonight.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 Img_2016

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally made my Oriental Chicken Salad ~ the one with ramen noodles & slivered almonds. I had the leftover shredded chicken breasts, fresh head of napa cabbage, some red cabbage, shredded carrots & sliced green onions ~ crunchy toasted slivered almonds & crunched ramen.....

Dressing was rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil & grapeseed oil.....a nice blend that doesn't cover the salad too heavily.

I also pulled a couple dinner rolls out of the freezer ~ I wrap individually & freeze ~ to reheat in the toaster oven after they thawed on the counter.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 09_18_11

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are having flatbread pizzas.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a fish over rice and shrimp from the Hibernia Diner.
Tina drove GD to the Dr. this afternoon.
She picked me up dinner. It was good.

Cookin Lore

I made shepherd's pie today. Thinking I'll make it because my sister loves it. But, really I think I made it to make me feel that I'm doing something positive. She doesn't recognize us any more and just sleeps. At least she is at peace and not in pain any more. Maybe she can eat some of the mashed potatoes on top. Sorry, not having a good day today.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I made shepherd's pie today.  Thinking I'll make it because my sister loves it.  But, really I think I made it to make me feel that I'm doing something positive.  She doesn't recognize us any more and just sleeps.  At least she is at peace and not in pain any more.  Maybe she can eat some of the mashed potatoes on top.  Sorry, not having a good day today.

My heart breaks for you, Lore.  I know it's so terribly difficult for you and the rest of your sister's family.

My friend, Lyn, lost her 101 year old father ~ passed away last Sunday.  They knew it was coming, I mean, he was 101.  But it's never easy and the waiting is always so difficult.

Know prayers are being said and her place is ready......

May you all find peace.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Easy supper tonight.

This morning I made some macaroni salad....knew I had brats in the refrigerator.

Simmered the brats in a bottle of beer & equal water....then on the gas grill to brown/crisp up.

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 09_19_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup with tortellini Tina Made.
I don't like it. She threw the pound of ground beef in the flavorful soup, and kept stirring until it melted. ( I ate the tortelini ...P E R I O D .)

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I made shepherd's pie today.  Thinking I'll make it because my sister loves it.  But, really I think I made it to make me feel that I'm doing something positive.  She doesn't recognize us any more and just sleeps.  At least she is at peace and not in pain any more.  Maybe she can eat some of the mashed potatoes on top.  Sorry, not having a good day today.

I am so sorry Lore. When the end is near, they sleep most of the time, which I think is a blessing. My father did that. He didn't recognize me either but he did recognize my sisters. It sounds terrible, but I was relieved when he passed. He was out of his misery and so was I.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just keep her comfortable Lore. God be with her to guide her!....

Bugster2

Bugster2

We were talking about an old restaurant in Alhambra that had a drive-up with carhops. We used to finish our date nights with a hot fudge sundae or a Stinko-o burger. If we ate inside the restaurant, we had Grapenut custard (that is really old school). I got a bee in my bonnet to make some and grabbed a recipe off the net but it was awful. It was like scrambled eggs with Grapenuts. BLECH. I am now on the hunt for a creamy version like the restaurant used to serve.
Last night was fried chicken fingers. It is only so-so because I have to eliminate most of the seasonings that make fried chicken taste so good. Our guts just aren't up to the spices any more. I used up the last of the bag of coleslaw mix and made Carolina coleslaw which was good. Not too sweet, not too tart.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:

I am so sorry Lore. When the end is near, they sleep most of the time, which I think is a blessing. My father did that. He didn't recognize me either but he did recognize my sisters. It sounds terrible, but I was relieved when he passed. He was out of his misery and so was I.

Thanks, it does not sound terrible at all. I sat and watched my husband of 51 years also struggle to breathe, as well as my father 40 years ago. Death is a relief that she has wanted for some time now. I am sad for myself and her family.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Idiot me. I accidentally put my fry pot with part of the heat control still on it in the dishwasher. I took the control apart and put it into the sun to dry out. I'll see if that does the trick. If not I will buy a replacement pot. The control part is $20. The entire new pot is $26.

We are having loaded potato skins for dinner tonight. Yesterday I made a cinnamon roll bundt cake and it is already half gone. Katie put quite a dent in it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:We were talking about an old restaurant in Alhambra that had a drive-up with carhops. We used to finish our date nights with a hot fudge sundae or a Stinko-o burger. If we ate inside the restaurant, we had Grapenut custard (that is really old school). I got a bee in my bonnet to make some and grabbed a recipe off the net but it was awful. It was like scrambled eggs with Grapenuts. BLECH. I am now on the hunt for a creamy version like the restaurant used to serve.

OK, Bugs, you got me curious so I went looking......Found this one on allrecipes that mentions it was sold at the parents' restaurant, although no mention of where.

Does it sound familiar? Looks to me to simply be baked custard with some Grapenuts sprinkled across the top.

Here's the link:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/156057/grapenuts-custard/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot%201

Cookin Lore

There were some strange things put together in the late 50s and 60s!

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, I tried that recipe and it wasn't he same. The Grapenuts were all at the bottom of a custard cup, the custard was creamy but firm and there was nutmeg sprinkled on top. I actually contacted the restaurant to see if they would share the recipe. I doubt if they will respond but it doesn't hurt to try.

NormM

NormM

I got some tomatoes and okra at the farmers market and found some shrimp in the freezer. Initially I thought about cooking the shrimp with mussels in fish sauce and wine. I went to the store and got some mussels but when I got home I found that they smelled really bad. Both the guy behind the meat counter and i were wearing masks so neither of us noticed anything at the time. I ended up cooking just the shrimp with some Creole seasoning with red bell peppers and garlic."See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 20200918
"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 20200917

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meal looks fantastic, Norm! Good call on the mussels ~ no sense in taking a chance.....when in doubt, throw it out!

I'm just jealous of your tomatoes.....I can only imagine how tasty they were. I haven't had a tomato that looked like that since I moved from Ohio.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out to the closest country club for supper with neighbor Jim last night. It was a lovely time with amusing conversation and a 'change of view'.

Dane got salmon & I got a baked haddock topped with a buttery Ritz cracker crust. Both were tasty but both were a tad over done ~ I ended up asking for some tartare sauce to help. It wasn't the worst I've ever eaten but the kitchen crew could have been better off with a Thermapen to use! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a roma tomato plant growing in a pot. I haven't had much success with it because the tomatoes keep splitting open. I guess I am not watering frequently enough. The few I have been able to eat taste like a real tomato. I won't grow these again because they are small.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane asked for tacos for supper.....I have my guacamole made & in the refrigerator and the onions are chopped....still have to chop tomatoes & check to see if I have any black olives (I'm planning on a taco salad for mine.....).

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper will be Italian Meatloaf. Tina is going to make it.
Ricotta filling inside.
Tina's up at the farm picking up veggies. I just got back from my leg surgery. Right leg vein, they burned shut, because valve not working. Now I need two more to do on that leg.Then, two on the left leg. What a pain in the you know what!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote: I just got back from my leg surgery. Right leg vein, they burned shut, because valve not working. Now I need two more to do on that leg.Then, two on the left leg. What a pain in the you know what!

a pain in the LEG.....gotta keep the blood flowin' !!!

Good time to take a rest.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope it isn't too painful for you Jimmy. Doesn't sound fun at all.

Tonight is also meatloaf with mashed potatoes from the insides of last nights potato skins and broccoli,

I was watching a re-run of "Say Yes To The Dress". Black women have the most amusing way of saying and describing things. There was this large black gal they had put into a dress that was a hundred times too small. That's ok because they don't have all the sizes. This dress had a corset back. The woman was popping out everywhere. He mother says "You look like a popped biscuit can". Absolutely perfect description. I was laughing so hard. Too perfect. Too funny.

JanaAZ

Since I make 3 meals a day every day, I've been looking at some different things to make.  I've found a few interesting recipes that I've made. Although I never follow a recipe, I can say some of these came out pretty darn good.

Pork with panchetta, fennel and papardelle ended up being one of our favorites  It was not beautiful, but it was so darn good
"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 Img_2410

Another dish which we absolutely loved (and happened to be vegetarian) was tomato tart.  I switched up the cheeses from the original recipe and used a piecrust i had in the freezer rather than making one from scratch, but this was so good

"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 Img_2310

And the third thing I made that was very different and very delicious (and also happened to be vegetarian, but just by accident) was mushroom paprikash.  It was so"See You....In SEPTEMBER 2020!" "So What's Cooking?" - Page 7 Img_2411
.doog nrad

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Cookin Lore like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum