Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night!

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't think a slaughterhouse in town is a good idea either. I remember reading about one in a town where it really created a stink. Out here, in the City of Industry is the sriracha plant. Talk about hot air. The residents in the area are always complaining about the burning air. The plant said OK, we will just move to Texas. It shut up the people really fast. The city did not want to lose such a huge tax cow.

bethk

bethk
Admin

A slaughterhouse is NOT a smelly place, unless you consider all farm animals 'smelly'.

I'd much rather live near a slaughterhouse (as we did for about 30 years) than near a poultry factory farm.

As for 'noise', it's no more animal noisy than a dairy farm.

Animals in a slaughterhouse are dispatched humanely and every single part of the animal is used/purchased for some purpose.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

When I was a kid in Kansas City, mom and I would occasionally ride the streetcar across the state line to a big department store.  We'd cross the bridge over the West Bottoms. ( the river ran between the two cities and there was steep, wide, and deep divide between the two cities)  It was an industrial area with stockyards where the trains unloaded cattle where they were fed and watered before going to the slaughter house. They were probably held there until the gained back weight they lost on the train ride up from Texas.  That area stunk to high heaven. It was so smelly that the mile or so long bridge seemed a lot longer.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

We lived on a hobby farm (15 acres) for 39 years. About a mile away there is a farm which has beef cattle.. At the end of one of their driveways, there is a big pile of manure. It's a self serve of the well rotted manure for anyone who wants a bushel or bag of it, and a jar for cash donations. The original farmhouse is well over 100 years old. Some city slickers built a nice new house downwind of said manure pile. Then they went to the town, and complained about both the cattle and the manure and accompanying flies........ The town just said "Sorry, they were here first, and you had to drive past that pile of s**t every time you came to look at your property."

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:We lived on a hobby farm (15 acres) for 39 years.  About a mile away there is a farm which has beef cattle..  At the end of one of their driveways, there is a big pile of manure.  It's a self serve of the well rotted manure for anyone who wants a bushel or bag of it, and a jar for cash donations.  The original farmhouse is well over 100 years old.  Some city slickers built a nice new house downwind of said manure pile.  Then they went to the town, and complained about both the cattle and the manure and accompanying flies........ The town just said "Sorry, they were here first, and you had to drive past that pile of s**t every time you came to look at your property."

lol! August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 2876911673 August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 2876911673 August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 2876911673 lol! August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 1838020472 August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 1838020472 August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 1838020472

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Speaking of chicken farms.... Tina made a pot of chicken soup for supper today.
Kluski noodles to have with it.

Bugster2

Bugster2

As I recall, the stink came from blood that they were flushing down into the city sewer.

On your way to Las Vegas you will pass several stockyards with what looks like thousands of cattle. The stink is awful. Talk about stink! Have any of you been to Gilroy, CA? I forget what time of year it was but the garlic capital of the world was very ripe. HOO-WEEE! You could smell it for miles along I-5.
We used to have a Nabisco plant in Anaheim. Every time you drove by there was the heavenly odor of lemon cookies.
There used to be a Barbara Ann bakery right next to the Pasadena freeway. It emitted the wonderful smell of baked bread.

I had another catastrophic freezer loss. Somehow I am not shutting the door tight enough. I am going to have to get a stick-on latch they use for babies to keep it from happening again. The steaks were still partially frozen so kept those. Same with the ground beef. The shrimp was cold but defrosted. Joe wanted to keep it so I said don't come crying to me if you get poisoned. Breads can be refrozen but I tossed all of my sauces and lemon juice, veggies, ham bones and some other things.

NormM

NormM

Folgers coffee had a building downtown in Kansas City.  They roasted and blended coffee there and you could smell coffee for a block away.  The process became computerized and mechanized to the point that there was no more coffee aroma drifting on the breeze.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Actually, Bugs, the bovine blood is sold to be used in some fertilizers and other products. It's collected and trucked away.....

Tonight I made a smoked sausage skillet ~ browned smoked sausage with potatoes, onions, green beans & corn. It's a one pot meal that started as a 'left over' re-do meal and then progressed on to a requested meal.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 08_31_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Our town Hackettstown, is the proud host of m&m's and m&m peanuts.
Some nights, the wind blows a certain way, and we can smell the peanuts roasting.
There is another m&m Mars in Kansas, ( USA ).
They threatened to move out of here, and move to Kansas a couple years ago. Thank God; it keeps my taxes lower.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Chicken soup and fried cabbage and noodles for supper.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I hid a bag of m&m's, and I forgot where I hid them.
I'm wishing for a few m&m's.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Folks, I started the new September Thread!
This one can get finished off if their are some open posts to be commented on.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Actually, Bugs, the bovine blood is sold to be used in some fertilizers and other products.  It's collected and trucked away.....

Tonight I made a smoked sausage skillet ~ browned smoked sausage with potatoes, onions, green beans & corn.  It's a one pot meal that started as a 'left over' re-do meal and then progressed on to a requested meal.

August, 2020 ~ ~ A HOT Time in the Old Town Every Night! - Page 9 08_31_11

Not in this case. They were flushing it down the city drains and the blood was rotting and made a hell of a stink. EEEWWW!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum