Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb?

+4
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Cookin Lore
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 19]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I have decided to see how much the virus spreads before doing any panic buying. Just watch and wait.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That condiment sounds absolutely lethal. The trouble with some of these hot sauces it that they are so hot that you can't taste the dish, just the heat.

My mother's goulash was chunks of chuck, green peppers, paprika, sour cream, beef broth all poured over noodles. It was good but I can't eat paprika anymore. She got her recipe from an old BHG cookbook and tweeked it a bit.

I was watching the news and saw that Walmart was very busy with shoppers loading up on supplies just in case they have to stay in place because of the virus. I guess we will do the same. I am not panicked - yet, so I just want a few things and shelf stable items just in case.

I made tacos last night. Joe ate 4 and got sick. He has got to go to the gastro to see if he has another stricture in his gut, sort of like what Tina gets.

No Good Lord. Tina did the same thing tonight. She ate fried shrimp and rice and veggies in the steam in bag microwaved. Like two shrimp, and a tbs. of rice.
10 minutes later..... she got sick. When she came out, I stated to her,...."You can bump @$$es with Joe!"..."Oh! that Bugster 2's husband!"... I said YEP!
No ............... She said..."Oh poor thing!"

Bugster2

Bugster2

Poor Tina! Joe knows how she feels.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, that chicken does look good. Do you know if that recipe is Caribbean?  I think that sauce is from Jamaica or Trinidad.  Speaking of Jamaica and Corona, Charlie was going to take a vacation to Jamaica but (I think) he is reconsidering it since the virus has broken out.

I'm not sure, but it very well could be. I was just scrolling through different sites and came across the recipe. I found the sauce on Amazon in 'sets' of 2 or 3 bottles ~ $18. Just didn't seem sensible since I have way too many condiment bottles in my refrigerator now. I just used the goguchang and some garlic chili paste as spicy components.

I usually make my stir fries with a lot of sauce (the way Dane prefers) but this time I decided to go with just a little coating sauce. The heat was pronounced but really only coating the diced chicken and just a bit on the broccoli & carrots since they got steamed ahead and tossed in the sauce just a bit at the end of cooking.

*** Let's hope Charlie decides to wait out an airline trip for the time being. No sense in taking chances. (but if he decides to go, hopefully he'll be safe and avoid any problems)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to thaw one of the packages of boneless short ribs I picked up a while back. It's really well marbled beef and should make a killer beef stew. Sometimes the bottom (not showing in the package) is covered with the thick membrane where it attaches to the bone but this package only had a couple little bits of trim. Cool.

I cut it into bite size pieces, dredged it in well seasoned flour and browned it in some oil & bacon fat (I browned up 2 slices of chopped bacon before I started with the beef). After it was browned on all sides I took it out and added a bit of chopped onion and then some tomato paste. Then some red wine and deglazed the pan and let it cook down. The meat went back in and I added 1/2 a can of beef consomme (I had saved it when I last used some in the freezer) and also some chicken stock (boxed) and a bit of water. I let it braise away on the stovetop for a couple hours.

Now I have the vegetables in to cook in the gravy & beef ~ onion, carrot, celery & potatoes. I forgot to eat lunch today (how does that happen????) so I'm really chomping at the bit to have supper early. I had to add some more chicken stock/water to have enough to cover the vegetables so I know there's going to be lots of gravy. I may just have to see if there's part of a baguette stashed in the freezer to toast so that yummy gravy doesn't go to waste.

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:In Germany, Gulasch is only onions, garlic (sauteed) and chunks of meat.  (water added after meat is browned) Mostly pork, because beef was always very expensive.  Never ground meat, and no vegetables added. Thickened a bit, and served over noodles of some kind.  Where I lived it was Spaetzle.  I like broad egg noodles like fettuccini.  Hungarian goulash has added tomatoes in it, and possibly potatoes.

That's how I make it too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The stew was just what the doctor ordered.....well, no doctor involved, but just what I was hungry for. I did have a piece of a baguette in the freezer so I cut it in half, buttered it a bit and toasted it in the toaster oven ~ pleased I kept an eye on it and it didn't burn. Woo Hoo!!!

March, 2020 in like a lion, out like a lamb? - Page 2 03_03_10

NormM

NormM

Many years ago, I read that beef isn't popular in China because they require pasture land that could be used for farming, and pigs don't compete with humans for food and don't need special range that can be used for people
. Neither do birds and fish or game. One cow/ox was all a farm family could afford. It was used for plowing and hauling, and it was kept until it died naturally.   I guess it's that way almost everywhere. I guess only a few countries had enough space to raise cattle for commercial use as well as vegetables and many of them are in the Americas.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

My friend has a farm on the eastern side of Montana, about 3 miles from the Canadian border. In the summer they grow wheat. In the winter they raise cattle for meat.

NormM

NormM

The only way I can figure that they only have cattle in the winter is if they buy calves in the fall after the harvest and grass is planted and grown... or they feed them mostly on grain, then sell the grown cattle before wheat is planted again.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I haven't asked her how it works but i can.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had stir fried rice from the deli hot bar Tina picked up.
Corn chips and dipping sauce.

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner last night.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight.....ugh.....

He had stir fry.

I had stew.....on the rest of the rice....not a great combo but at least now the leftovers are gone.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made fried cabbage and noodles.
The cabbage was like a chopped up brown paper bag, and tasted like it too.
The cabbage was tasteless. Tina saved it for herself. She won't waste a thing.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a chuck roast with gravy and mashed. I fed it to Joe at noon so it wouldn't come back up on him. Leftovers will be made into a sandwich.

I am getting about 3 hours of sleep a night. I can't get comfortable. The mattress is plush but not quite plush enough. I have a Tempurpedic topper on it but it is still not comfortable. I have a fiberfil topper but it isn't right either. I have a gel foam topper that is too hard. I am now looking at a latex topper but they can be ourageously expensive and many can't be returned. The problem is that you can't see them before you buy. I did find an Aireloom latex topper that I would have liked to try but it retails for $1900. The best price they could give me was $1000 and no returns. No thanks. I can buy a mattress for that price. Too risky. I thought I would see if someone has a floor model they can sell for less.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I made a chuck roast with gravy and mashed. I fed it to Joe at noon so it wouldn't come back up on him. Leftovers will be made into a sandwich.

I am getting about 3 hours of sleep a night. I can't get comfortable. The mattress is plush but not quite plush enough. I have a Tempurpedic topper on it but it is still not comfortable. I have a fiberfil topper but it isn't right either. I have a gel foam topper that is too hard. I am now looking at a latex topper but they can be ourageously expensive and many can't be returned. The problem is that you can't see them before you buy. I did find an Aireloom latex topper that I would have liked to try but it retails for $1900. The best price they could give me was $1000 and no returns. No thanks. I can buy a mattress for that price. Too risky. I thought I would see if someone has a floor model they can sell for less.

Try My Pillow .com......... That Mike Lindell is on the tv ads 100 times a day.
He makes mattress toppers too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll not be cooking tonight. Late lunch after his golf.

I did spend about half an hour today organizing / rearranging the freezers. I try to keep the kitchen freezer somewhat organized so I can tell at a glance what could be for supper. By that, I mean I have it divided into two sections. One section is for meats & vegetables, the other side is for breads, wraps, tortillas, etc. Somehow 'ONE' of us doesn't get the concept. It drives me crazy to open it, or attempt to open it, and find that things have been jammed in and getting caught on the top bin so it can't be opened nor closed.

The freezer in the garage is used as a landing area for when I make burger patties or want to freeze my marinated steaks. There SHOULD be enough space on the shelves for me to slip in a quarter sheet pan of wrapped meats without anything falling out. So far, it's pretty neat. Drives me crazy when things get shoved in without regard for how it 'might attack' when the door is opened next.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'll not be cooking tonight.  Late lunch after his golf.

I did spend about half an hour today organizing / rearranging the freezers.  I try to keep the kitchen freezer somewhat organized so I can tell at a glance what could be for supper.  By that, I mean I have it divided into two sections.  One section is for meats & vegetables, the other side is for breads, wraps, tortillas, etc.  Somehow 'ONE' of us doesn't get the concept.  It drives me crazy to open it, or attempt to open it, and find that things have been jammed in and getting caught on the top bin so it can't be opened nor closed.

The freezer in the garage is used as a landing area for when I make burger patties or want to freeze my marinated steaks.  There SHOULD be enough space on the shelves for me to slip in a quarter sheet pan of wrapped meats without anything falling out.  So far, it's pretty neat.  Drives me crazy when things get shoved in without regard for how it 'might attack' when the door is opened next.....

When it gets to that point, I make a sign ( "Careful ... Avalanche" ), and tape it on the door.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I made a chuck roast with gravy and mashed. I fed it to Joe at noon so it wouldn't come back up on him. Leftovers will be made into a sandwich.

Try My Pillow .com......... That Mike Lindell is on the tv ads 100 times a day.
He makes mattress toppers too.

I had a feel of one at Costco and it isn't what I am looking for.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:I'll not be cooking tonight.  Late lunch after his golf.

I did spend about half an hour today organizing / rearranging the freezers.  I try to keep the kitchen freezer somewhat organized so I can tell at a glance what could be for supper.  By that, I mean I have it divided into two sections.  One section is for meats & vegetables, the other side is for breads, wraps, tortillas, etc.  Somehow 'ONE' of us doesn't get the concept.  It drives me crazy to open it, or attempt to open it, and find that things have been jammed in and getting caught on the top bin so it can't be opened nor closed.

The freezer in the garage is used as a landing area for when I make burger patties or want to freeze my marinated steaks.  There SHOULD be enough space on the shelves for me to slip in a quarter sheet pan of wrapped meats without anything falling out.  So far, it's pretty neat.  Drives me crazy when things get shoved in without regard for how it 'might attack' when the door is opened next.....

When it gets to that point, I make a sign ( "Careful ... Avalanche" ), and tape it on the door.

There is nothing worse than having a freezer full of rock hard frozen food explode onto your feet. OUCH!!!

Bugster2

Bugster2

LOL! I just had the heck scared out of me. I was watching Judge Judy in the den. Off of the den is the laundry room and Katie's rooms. Joe is driving her around today running errands because her car is broken. Her dogs are shut in her room and they are screaming and squealing because she is gone. Horrible dogs! I was in the laundry room doing clothes when I heard SHHH! SHHH! twice. I said "Is that you Joe"? thinking he might be home. No answer. The hair stood up on my neck. Who the heck told the dogs to shush? Am I hearing things? Then I realized it was Judge Judy telling some people to shush that were speaking out of line. What a relief! I am not hearing voices!

Cookin Lore

Well, local Costco customers are panicking. Kleenex, toilet paper and paper towels are being hoarded. None available, I was told they keep ordering supplies, and they are snapped up as soon as they come in. My thoughts???? This is not WWIII, people! The factories will keep making toilet paper so that we can wipe our....... I went out for lunch with my sis for the very best beef rib I have ever had. Montana's. Not cheap, but fabulous. Enough left to have a sandwich tomorrow! Yummy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:LOL! I just had the heck scared out of me. I was watching Judge Judy in the den. Off of the den is the laundry room and Katie's rooms. Joe is driving her around today running errands because her car is broken. Her dogs are shut in her room and they are screaming and squealing because she is gone. Horrible dogs! I was in the laundry room doing clothes when I heard SHHH! SHHH! twice. I said "Is that you Joe"? thinking he might be home. No answer. The hair stood up on my neck. Who the heck told the dogs to shush? Am I hearing things? Then I realized it was Judge Judy telling some people to shush that were speaking out of line. What a relief! I am not hearing voices!

Tina watches JJudy. Strange sounds and abrupt shushing sounds do come from her.
I cringe when she screams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum