Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken Piccata

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken Piccata Empty Chicken Piccata Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Chicken Piccata Dscn0027

I hadn't made Chicken (or Veal) Piccata in years but we're both big fans of anything with lemon. But I saw them making it on America's Test Kitchen not so long ago and could not get it out of my mind. I liked the recipe they used, too, so I copied it and made it last weekend. Brian went GAGA over it so I'll be making it again soon. The half-slices of lemon were so tender that they were totally edible, too.

Chicken Piccata
Serves 4. Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen.

2 large lemons
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 lbs.), tenderloins
removed and breasts trimmed [I cut 2 huge breasts in 2]*
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small shallot, minced OR 1 clove garlic, minced [I use both]
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons small capers, drained
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1. Adjust oven rack to the lower-middle position, set large oven-safe plate on rack, and heat oven to 200°F.
2. Halve one lemon pole to pole. Trim ends from one half and cut crosswise into slices 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick; set aside. Juice remaining half and whole lemon to obtain 1/4-cup juice; set aside.
3. Halve chicken breasts horizontally, then cover chicken halves with plastic wrap and pound cutlets to even 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle both sides of cutlets with kosher salt and pepper [I let chicken sit for 10 minutes after salting as salting ahead helps keeps breasts moist when cooked]. Place flour in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Working with one cutlet at a time, coat with flour and shake to remove excess.
4. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Lay half of chicken cutlets in skillet. Cook cutlets until lightly browned on first side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip cutlets and cook until second side is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove pan from heat and transfer cutlets to plate in warm oven. Add remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil to now-empty skillet and heat until shimmering. Add remaining chicken cutlets and repeat.
5. Add shallot or garlic to now-empty skillet and return skillet to medium heat. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds for shallot and 10 seconds for garlic. Add broth and lemon slices, increase heat to high, and scrape pan bottom with wooden spoon or spatula to loosen brown bits. Simmer until liquid reduces to about 1/3 cup, about 4 minutes. Add lemon juice and capers and simmer until sauce reduces again to 1/3 cup, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and swirl in butter until it melts and thickens sauce. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.

*To make slicing the chicken easier, freeze it for 15 minutes. You can also buy cutlets from the grocery, which don’t include tenderloins and can be used as is.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Chicken Piccata Empty Re: Chicken Piccata Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:42 pm

JanaAZ

This looks good thanks for posting. Mine is very similar but I add wine to the sauce and artichokes with the capers. Yum

3Chicken Piccata Empty Re: Chicken Piccata Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:This looks good thanks for posting. Mine is very similar but I add wine to the sauce and artichokes with the capers. Yum

Mmm, that sounds good, too, Judy. I checked my recipes and I had two, one of which used wine as well, but I figured the lemon

I made it again last night for Brian. He's going through chemo so if I'm up to it, I'll cook anything he asks for! He ate more supper last night than I think he's eaten in the 40 years we've been together, so it was a big success again last night! cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum