Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Demi-Glace Facsimile

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Demi-Glace Facsimile Empty Demi-Glace Facsimile Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Though I doubt I will ever get around to making this, it's just the kind of recipe that fascinates me and I would love to experiment by making it one day. I thought some of you might like to see it as well. Some of the hours of reduction could probably be handled in a slow cooker, I guess...

Cheater’s Demi-Glace
Recipe by Chef John, allrecipes.com
The author said, "You can make a demi-glace using chicken wings and beef shanks since veal bones can be hard to come by. This alternative method works amazingly well and the demi-glace closely resembled the real thing in look, feel, and flavor."

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 onions, chopped (including skins)
2 carrots, chopped
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
5 lbs. whole chicken wings
3 (1-inch thick) slices beef shank
6 quarts cold water
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Oil a large roasting pan with vegetable oil. Place celery, onions, and carrots in the pan. Drizzle tomato paste over the vegetables; toss together. Arrange chicken wings and beef shanks on the vegetables.
3. Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes. Turn chicken and beef pieces. Continue roasting until mixture is very well browned and even a bit charred here and there, another 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to a large stock pot along with pan juices. Add 6 quarts cold fresh water, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer over high heat; reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer with small bubbles and very little movement. Simmer until meat is falling off the bone and flavor is extracted from the chicken and beef, 12 to 14 hours.
5. Remove from heat. Strain out all solids. Return pot to heat and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to about 2 quarts, or by 50 percent.
6. Strain liquid though a strainer into a container; press down solids in strainer to extract all the liquid. Bring to room temperature before covering; refrigerate. When demi-glace has solidified, gently use a spatula to scrape off any fat that has collected at the top.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum