Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays)

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
JanaAZ
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

JanaAZ wrote:  I can hide kale in soups, though, and he doesn't have a problem with it.  I don't think he knows its kale.
I julienne it pretty finely and add it to minestrone ... hubby thought it was spinach until I told him differently

27Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

muzicgirl wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:I have tried everything to get my hubby to enjoy kale.  He likes it overcooked and grey and I can't eat it that way.  I loved it, though, and think he's gonna have to get used to eating it  properly cooked and green!!!

Kale can be so very fibrous and chewy, it's tough for some folks to eat ... it gets stuck in my teeth a lot, and I find I have to chew and chew ...

A friend of mine gave me a good tip regarding prepping kale ... roughly chop it, then take it by handfuls, and thoroughly "massage it" ... throw the "massaged" kale in a big bowl with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice, let sit for 20 minutes or so, then prepare in your usual manner ...

this helps break down the fibers, and makes it easier to chew and to digest!  Smile

I just made Kale salad, chop and massage the kale with lemon juice, let sit for overnight, then add some fruits such as peaches or mango, for the dressing I mixed honey, a bit of wine vinegar, salt and black pepper... it's tasty

[Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 DSCN3542

28Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:32 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:We're still doing meatless meals a few days a week, although when I came back on Monday and my freezer broke (in my new fridge, no less), I had to cook all the meat in it, so meatless this week....not gonna happen.

I wish I could routinely do meatless meals a day in a week.. I'm going to try doing it, starting next week, first.. try with a day in a week, now I need more ideas what to cook Idea Question

29Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 am

JanaAZ

muzicgirl wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:I have tried everything to get my hubby to enjoy kale.  He likes it overcooked and grey and I can't eat it that way.  I loved it, though, and think he's gonna have to get used to eating it  properly cooked and green!!!

Kale can be so very fibrous and chewy, it's tough for some folks to eat ... it gets stuck in my teeth a lot, and I find I have to chew and chew ...

A friend of mine gave me a good tip regarding prepping kale ... roughly chop it, then take it by handfuls, and thoroughly "massage it" ... throw the "massaged" kale in a big bowl with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice, let sit for 20 minutes or so, then prepare in your usual manner ...

this helps break down the fibers, and makes it easier to chew and to digest!  Smile
I did that too. I massaged my kale until my fingers cramped. He still didn't like it. But it really does change the texture a lot and it works really nice in a kale salad when it's been massaged.

30Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:54 am

JanaAZ

Imelda HL wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:We're still doing meatless meals a few days a week, although when I came back on Monday and my freezer broke (in my new fridge, no less), I had to cook all the meat in it, so meatless this week....not gonna happen.

I wish I could routinely do meatless meals a day in a week.. I'm going to try doing it, starting next week, first.. try with a day in a week, now I need more ideas what to cook Idea Question

I started with a few things I knew he loved. I've made stuffed portobellos a few different ways. he likes them a lot. My all-time favorite meal is 3 tomato pomodoro and he begs me to make that. If you want the recipe, I've got it posted and I'll share the link.

I also made eggplant parm. I might have my recipe for that posted, too. During the cooler weather, I made lots of spaghetti squash. When it cools down again, I want to try oven-baked eggplant casserole. It's sort of like a lasagna using crunchy eggplant as the noodle. Lots of tomatoes and cheese. What's not to like.

31Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am with Hubby. You could put chocolate on it & I still wouldn't like it.Same goes for Lentils of any kind ..No No affraid 

32Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, ok, even I wouldn't like it with chocolate on it! And braised kale is one of my favorites, lentils, too. Only thing is Dane is in YOUR camp and won't eat either, as well as no eggplant, so if I make any its just for me....unless, of course, I just don't tell him it's in a dish and then he eats it without complaint.

Hahahahahahaha!

33Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:When it cools down again, I want to try oven-baked eggplant casserole.  It's sort of like a lasagna using crunchy eggplant as the noodle.  Lots of tomatoes and cheese.  What's not to like.

Well, for me, the cheese part....unless its mozzarella or provolone I just cannot get it down. Not liking the taste and texture of cheese has been my "cross to bear" my whole life.

I have become pretty adept at subbing those cheeses I am able to eat most of the time. But if someone else is doing the cooking they sometimes think I'll not notice if there is cheddar or Swiss or (ewwww) feta. I usually just say I'm allergic instead of "I don't like" cheese. Then most will not insist they just know I'll love their favorite....I don't! LOL

34Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:07 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Well, ok, even I wouldn't like it with chocolate on it!  And braised kale is one of my favorites, lentils, too.  Only thing is Dane is in YOUR camp and won't eat either, as well as no eggplant, so if I make any its just for me....unless, of course, I just don't tell him it's in a dish and then he eats it without complaint.

Hahahahahahaha!

Steve doesn't like eggplant or zucchini when they're cooked too much. But he will eat them if they're still al dente. Now I have to say he loves the eggplant parm I make that's shallow fried. I don't make it often since I don't need the oil, but it's so darn good.

35Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If he will eat zucchini al dente you ought to give that zucchini spaghetti a try as a side dish. The first time I made it for Dane he gave me "that look" but took a serving. Next thing I knew, he went back for a second serving. The thin julienne cut and the al dente cooking makes it taste completely different than it does when cooked with the watery seedy part.

36Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:

I started with a few things I knew he loved.  I've made stuffed portobellos a few different ways.  he likes them a lot.  My all-time favorite meal is 3 tomato pomodoro and he begs me to make that.  If you want the recipe, I've got it posted and I'll share the link.

I also made eggplant parm.  I might have my recipe for that posted, too.  During the cooler weather, I made lots of spaghetti squash.  When it cools down again, I want to try oven-baked eggplant casserole.  It's sort of like a lasagna using crunchy eggplant as the noodle.  Lots of tomatoes and cheese.  What's not to like.

my DH likes all kind of veggies, well, except baby corns, so he wont have problem for meatless meals, I'm the one who is so picky with veggies and cheese.. I'd like the link of your eggplant parm if you have it ready.. thanks

37Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, rice would fit into a meatless meal perfectly. What if you tried to ease yourself into more vegetables by combining with rice on your plate? You could offer them in a variety of ways and if you don't care for them then try something else.

38Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

muzicgirl wrote:

shredding yams make a tasty, healthy crust, too  Smile

When you do this is the sweet potato / yam raw or cooked? I used a baked spaghetti squash for my quiche crust. I just pressed the cooked strands firmly into a well buttered baking dish. I still had to blot a good deal of moisture from the surface when it was baking but it finally rendered off all the liquid and firmed up into a decent "crust".

39Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm

JanaAZ

40Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

bethk wrote:
muzicgirl wrote:

shredding yams make a tasty, healthy crust, too  Smile

When you do this is the sweet potato / yam raw or cooked?  I used a baked spaghetti squash for my quiche crust. I just pressed the cooked strands firmly into a well buttered baking dish.  I still had to blot a good deal of moisture from the surface when it was baking but it finally rendered off all the liquid and firmed up into a decent "crust".

raw - just shredded finely, and pressed by hand into a greased pie pan. Depending your filling needs to cook, you might want to pre-bake the crust - I usually do

41Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

chickpea pot pie for dinner tonight Smile

42Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

thank you for the link Jana Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 3593629538 

Beth.. thanks for the rice idea too... that's a good one too

Yesterday I told my DH that we are going to have a meatless meal at least once a week.. he looked at me like I was out of my mind. then he said.. like a LENT thing? ( usually before Easter we have LENT season), I said No.. just meatless.. and he asked again.. WHY?? lol!  I said that we are trying to eat less meat... he still tried to bargain.. how about fish and seafood.. they are not meats, right? or maybe much more cheese... and blah blah blah lol! 

so today I've decided to start my Monday meatless meal for the first time.. I've bought 2 packages of baby spinach.. I'm going to use 1 pack and make some pasta with it.. picture will be posted if it turns out good
Smile 

43Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm

JanaAZ

Imelda HL wrote:thank you for the link Jana Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 3593629538 

Yesterday I told my DH that we are going to have a meatless meal at least once a week.. he looked at me like I was out of my mind. then he said.. like a LENT thing? ( usually before Easter we have LENT season), I said No.. just meatless.. and he asked again.. WHY?? lol!  I said that we are trying to eat less meat... he still tried to bargain.. how about fish and seafood.. they are not meats, right? or maybe much more cheese... and blah blah blah lol! 

so today I've decided to start my Monday meatless meal for the first time.. I've bought 2 packages of baby spinach.. I'm going to use 1 pack and make some pasta with it.. picture will be posted if it turns out good
Smile 

Imelda, I posted a recipe a while ago that was really good. I used chicken sausage from Sprouts in it, but I've also eaten it without the sausage. It has roasted red peppers, olives, artichokes, pesto and pasta. If that's something your hubby would eat, I'll give the link to that, too. If you get to Sprouts, they have some fabulous chicken sausages that I've switched out for the fatty pork versions. I buy them and keep them in the freezer (not meatless, but just an FYI here).

44Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:thank you for the link Jana Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 3593629538 

Smile 

Imelda, I posted a recipe a while ago that was really good.  I used chicken sausage from Sprouts in it, but I've also eaten it without the sausage.  It has roasted red peppers, olives, artichokes, pesto and pasta.  If that's something your hubby would eat, I'll give the link to that, too.  If you get to Sprouts, they have some fabulous chicken sausages that I've switched out for the fatty pork versions.  I buy them and keep them in the freezer (not meatless, but just an FYI here).

Thank you Jana.. I'd like to have the link of your recipe.. I'll try it some time.. next trip to Sprout, I'll try their chicken sausages too.. thanks..

Today meatless meal was a success... we really did not miss meat in this meal.. I cooked small shell pasta and spinach casserole, with mushroom ( at first my DH thought it was meat Rolling Eyes Laughing  ) and lot of cheese.. I'll post the pictures on dinner link

45Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

46Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Interesting site, muzicgirl! Sometimes we think we are just limited to a pile of vegetables and a tossed salad when we want to go meatless. We forget about all the other options like the pastas and beans for a satisfying meal.

47Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was lookin at the recipegirl.com site and came across a recipe that fits right in with our meatless Monday and quinoa conversations.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2013/07/29/peach-and-pecan-quinoa-salad/

Lori Lange, the creator of recipegirl.com, was one of the original members on the old c.com site back in 2007. She and I had a nice conversation when we discussed our PeteFL's wheat bread recipe, as she had asked his permission to include it in her blog. Of course Pete gave his blessing and was honored to have his recipe shared on another cooking site. Pete's bread is one of those recipes you absolutely must have in your files as it will turn even the most inept baker into a bread baker....it's that easy and that good!

48Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

tonight's dinner menu has been decided upon ...

Cuban Black Bean & Potato Soup

Carrot Pie

Simple romaine salad with DElicious little baby orange cherry tomatoes

Smile Smile Smile

49Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:48 pm

JanaAZ

Imelda HL wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:

Smile 
Imelda, I posted a recipe a while ago that was really good.  I used chicken sausage from Sprouts in it, but I've also eaten it without the sausage.  It has roasted red peppers, olives, artichokes, pesto and pasta.  If that's something your hubby would eat, I'll give the link to that, too.  If you get to Sprouts, they have some fabulous chicken sausages that I've switched out for the fatty pork versions.  I buy them and keep them in the freezer (not meatless, but just an FYI here).
Thank you Jana.. I'd like to have the link of your recipe.. I'll try it some time.. next trip to Sprout, I'll try their chicken sausages too.. thanks..

Today meatless meal was a success... we really did not miss meat in this meal.. I cooked small shell pasta and spinach casserole, with mushroom ( at first my DH thought it was meat Rolling Eyes Laughing  ) and lot of cheese.. I'll post the pictures on dinner link
Imelda, here's the recipe. Sorry it took so long but I don't have my MyFy with me this week so I have to hit a Starbucks for internet access. I'm going to make t his a meatless meal and sub the chicken sausage for garbanzo beans. It's really good with the sausage from Sprouts though. Let me know if you make it. I'm sure you'll put your own spin on it. It would also be good spicy, but DH is a spice wimp http://www.examiner.com/article/try-our-recipe-for-the-best-mediterranean-pasta-with-sausage

50Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatless Mondays (and maybe Thursdays) Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:04 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

muzicgirl wrote:In March of 2012, our local newspaper was planning a feature article on artichokes ... they were looking for submissions from home cooks that showed unusual ways of preparing the thorny thistles ... I submitted this recipe, and was a big WINNER (along with two other folks), which meant my recipe and photo were published, and I had bragging rights ... shrug ... ya take what ya can get, right?

This is my own original recipe I developed, drawing inspiration from bits and pieces of several different recipes.

MUZIC'S ARTICHOKE VEGGIE PAELLA
I finally found this tonight after figuring out how to use the search feature, Arden. Sounds really good! I copied the recipe AND the photo, as it was too pretty not to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum