Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Empty Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Here's another recipe I copied today from a local food writer/critic who has a radio show, too. His name is Tom Fitzmorris and he's known as Mr. Food. He's quite a character and used to be a partner for a short time with my late sister in a small ad agency that specialized in print production. Tom used to print a monthly publication NOMenu but now publishes a daily email "publication" of sorts about the local restaurant scene and he almost always includes a recipe.

Anyway, there used to be a restaurant for YEARS on Bourbon Street called Toney's Spaghetti House. My father used to go there for lunch when I was a kid just to get a few of their dishes that he loved, maybe even this one since it was a house specialty. Anyway, I saw this and even if you make your own sauce, which I plan to do, and your own filling, it not only sounded good but different from the regular Italian things I make. Plus I recently saw the grocery is carrying fresh pasta sheets now so I've been wondering what I wanted to make with them. .

Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney
Serve two each for an entrée/Recipe by Jay Bonomolo, Toney's last chef (via Tom Fitzmorris)
Stuffed macaroni was a major house specialty at Toney's Spaghetti House on Bourbon Street. It's essentially a very light, soft mixture of the same things you'd use to make meatballs, but in different proportions. Many customers ordered it with meatballs, in fact. The macaroni part was the biggest tubular pasta available. You could also roll it up in sheets of pasta, like cannelloni but smaller. Or in large pasta shells.

Sauce:
2 28-oz. cans tomato puree
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Stuffing:
1 1/2 lbs. ground round
1/2 lb. ground pork
1 medium onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 8-oz. boxes pasta shells, manicotti sheets, or large pasta tubes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1. Make the sauce first. (Or use your own recipe.) Pour the tomato puree into a large saucepan over medium-low heat. When it comes to a boil, lower to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper.
2. Simmer the sauce, covered, stirring every twenty minutes or so (and scraping the bottom as you do), for six hours. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste. (No kidding-this is how they made the basic sauce at Toney's.)
3. To make the stuffing, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the ground round and ground pork. Add a tablespoon or two of water and cook, using a kitchen fork to stir the meat and keep it from clumping up.
4. When the ground meat is completely browned. drain any excess fat from the saucepan. Lower the heat to the lowest possible.
5. Add all the other stuffing ingredients. Stir to blend everything uniformly. Cook for twenty minutes, stirring now and then. Taste it and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (You may do it up to this point and refrigerate.)
6. Cook the pasta until al dente (soft but still firm). Drain, then fill the pot you cooked the pasta in with cold water and 2 Tbs. olive oil. Set aside.
7. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the sauce in each of two 11x9x3-inch casserole dishes. With clean hands, scoop up enough of the stuffing to fill one piece of pasta, and roll it like a sausage. Push it into the pasta tube, or roll it in the pasta sheet. If using shells, use a spoon for all this.
8. Lay the stuffed pasta in the casserole dishes, one layer deep. (You can stack a few on top if necessary. Ladle enough sauce to cover the stuffed pasta. Cover with a generous sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
9. Bake the stuffed pasta in a 350-degree oven until the sauce is bubbling-about twenty minutes.

2Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Empty Re: Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 pm

JanaAZ

Sounds delish.

I get lazy and hate stuffing the itty bitty pastas. Ive started making homemade rounds (almost like a crepe, but using a pasta batter) and fill and roll them. They taste great and don't test my patience.

3Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Empty Re: Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:Sounds delish.

I get lazy and hate stuffing the itty bitty pastas.  Ive started making homemade rounds (almost like a crepe, but using a pasta batter) and fill and roll them.  They taste great and don't test my patience.

And you roll them out like pasta, Judy? I've made homemade pasta before but never hand rolled it. You da man! I think about making homemade pasta often as I have a nice Atlas pasta machine to do my rolling for me but I really should bite the bullet and buy one of those "pulse" motors that attach to it, as it's hard for me to do it without help and Brian told me years ago he wouldn't help me make pasta anymore. He said I fussed at him too much when we did it -- and yes, I did. And that was before I cut my arm badly and lost the use of some of the fingers on my left hand as a result. Lord help the poor man if he'd help me now! One of those little motors would be perfect for me but I always hesitate spending that kind of money for something I won't use very often. (I'm too busy spending too much money on other things I shouldn't!!)

I don't mind stuffing the big shells, manicotti or cannelloni, probably because I do it so seldom that it's almost fun for me when I do it -- anticipating the result probably. I've gotten lazy before when I was doing a lot of them though and put all the stuffing mix in a freezer bag and cut a big corner off the bag and just "piped" it into the big shells, which actually worked pretty well. Plus Brian will usually help me, as he likes doing stuff like that, no pun intended.

When I saw those large fresh pasta sheets at the grocery, all I could think of was how easy it would be to cut those sheets up to "stuff" something inside by simply rolling and sealing it over the filling.

4Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Empty Re: Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

JanaAZ

No, I don't roll them out. I make them in a pan like a crepe. It sounds like a lot of work but its actually quicker than trying to stuff filling into those little tubes. Maybe youre quicker than I am, but I just don't have the patience. The dough is really tender and they are soooo good.

5Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Empty Re: Stuffed Macaroni A La Toney Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

JanaAZ wrote:No, I don't roll them out.  I make them in a pan like a crepe.  It sounds like a lot of work but its actually quicker than trying to stuff filling into those little tubes.  Maybe youre quicker than I am, but I just don't have the patience.  The dough is really tender and they are soooo good.

You said you use a "pasta dough," Judy. Do you mind telling me what that is? I just assumed you used a recipe for regular homemade pasta? Now you've peaked my interest in your method!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum