Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2018, Whats for Dinner??

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

151January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:What do you cook for a 49th Anniversary celebration?  (Geeze, Louise, that's a L*O*N*G time.....)

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 01_18_10

You heat up a container of chili from the freezer.......that's what you cook!

We have plans to go out for lobster tomorrow night to celebrate with Lyn & Bill.....so even though it was our 'real' anniversary today we're OK with a slight delay on the celebration meal.

Happy Anniversary Beth & Dane! ..... Have a great celebration meal and enjoyable time.

152January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:44 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth! Happy Anniversary!!!

153January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Anniversary Beth

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

154January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I looked up info about a PA. They have a 4 year degree and then another 2 years training. They do exams, prescribe drugs, suturing, and can remove skin cancers. There were rave reviews about PA's saying they were nice than the doctors and don't be afraid to see one. In my case I want a dermatologist to remove the growth.

155January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Niagara Visitor

That sounds basically like our nurse practitioners.

156January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover roast beef, on a roll, slobbered with mayonnaise. Almost choked it was so dry. Should have heated it, and had it hot with gravy.

Tomorrow.....Tina wants chili. Sunday it will be a little roaster ( free range chicken ) done on the rotisserie. crispy and crunchy....
Tina will only buy chicken from the Chester Meat Market. We had wings roasted in the oven with onions and salt and olive oil. They were so good ( and we know Jimmy here, is not a fan of chicken unless it's crispy.)
What a great tasting chicken wings. Tina said,"that's the way chicken tasted years ago!"

157January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Todays Supper...... CHILI over spaghetti.

Having a hot spell now. 42 degrees out. Snow is melting.

158January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for all the Anniversary wishes! I appreciate your kind thoughts.

We went out to one of the local country clubs for Lobster Night ~ twin tails or surf & turf for $24.95. It was just OK. Nothing really special. I guess if I want really good surf & turf I need to make my own ~ or do without....LOL

Today I'm making a pot of sausage, bean & kale soup ~ any takers out there? Lots & lots of kale.....hahahahahaha

Actually, it's based on the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden but I'm switching it up this time. Instead of hot Italian sausage, I'm using some 'hot' Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. And I added leeks instead of onions, added a can of cannelinni beans, a can of black eyed peas and a can of diced tomatoes. I did dice up a couple potatoes in hopes they will break down over the cooking and help thicken the broth up a bit. I also threw in a healthy pinch or two of red pepper flakes.

Come hell or high water, I'm gonna beat this darn cold one way or another!

159January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Todays Supper...... CHILI over spaghetti.

Having a hot spell now. 42 degrees out. Snow is melting.

Yum.....chili over pasta just sounds wonderful to me. I wish I had some leftover chili in the refrigerator from the other night but a certain Mr. Somebody finished off all I heated for supper.

160January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Thanks for all the Anniversary wishes!  I appreciate your kind thoughts.

We went out to one of the local country clubs for Lobster Night ~ twin tails or surf & turf for $24.95.  It was just OK.  Nothing really special.  I guess if I want really good surf & turf I need to make my own ~ or do without....LOL

Today I'm making a pot of sausage, bean & kale soup ~ any takers out there?  Lots & lots of kale.....hahahahahaha

Actually, it's based on the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden but I'm switching it up this time.  Instead of hot Italian sausage, I'm using some 'hot' Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage.  And I added leeks instead of onions, added a can of cannelinni beans, a can of black eyed peas and a can of diced tomatoes.  I did dice up a couple potatoes in hopes they will break down over the cooking and help thicken the broth up a bit.  I also threw in a healthy pinch or two of red pepper flakes.  

Come hell or high water, I'm gonna beat this darn cold one way or another!

Glad you were feeling up to celebrating
your anniversary!! That means a lot..

Beth, did you add any milk products to this recipe?

I would love to see your 'version' of this..

I cannot tolerate cream soups, but would be interested in your 'take' on this ...

Thanks.

161January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, I did add about 3 Tbsp. of heavy cream just before serving because I like the 'mouth-feel' of that tiny bit of cream, but it's just as good without.

This was really like a dump & simmer meal.....I broke up and browned a package of Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage and removed it from the pot. Then I added some olive oil and sauteed the sliced leek & 2 diced potatoes with about 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes for about 5 minutes. Added the drained can of cannelinni beans, the drained can of black eyed peas and the can of diced tomatoes, along with returning the sausage to the pot. Then I poured in 1 - 1/2 boxes of chicken stock and let it simmer for about 45 minutes, until everything was nice and soft. Finally, I added the sliced kale (stems removed & washed well) and let it cook for about 15 minutes. It would have been ready to eat then but since I made it early I just let it sit.

You could easily make it to your liking ~ I'll add my recipe for my 'faux' Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana and you can look at that recipe, too. Soups are so easy to personalize to have what you like.

Here's what supper looked like:

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 01_20_10

Zuppa Toscana (copycat of Olive Garden's soup)

Serves : 6
Prep Time: 0:35

1 lb. hot/spicy Italian sausage – crumbled (I used Johnsonville brand)
1 3 oz package Oscar Mayer (or similar brand) Smoked Bacon Bits
1 qt. water
1 – 32 oz. ‘box’ Low Sodium Chicken Stock
2 large russet potatoes – slice in half lengthwise and then slice into ¼ inch slices
2 garlic cloves – microplaned
1 med. onion – chopped (about 1/3 cup)
3 cups de-stemmed/chopped kale (cut pieces slightly larger than would fit on a spoon)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper - to taste (heavier on pepper – it doesn’t need much salt because of the bacon)

-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.

-Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium high heat until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes – don’t overcook because it will be cooking an additional 10 minutes).

-Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes. (Skim any fat off the top that you can.)

-Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through. Do not boil.

162January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

thanks again!

163January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked for Smothered Chicken and he seldom makes any dinner suggestions so I was glad to get an idea from someone else for a change. We had it with rice. He had already helped himself by the time I remembered to take a picture.

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 20180114

164January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhh, that looks good, Norm. I was just talking to a lady at the grocery store when they brought out some really nice looking cubed steaks. I tried to talk her through making chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

(guess what's on the menu at my house today?)

165January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:17 pm

NormM

NormM

Chicken fried steak (as they made it in the school cafeteria) is one of Charlie's favorites.

166January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am cooking up a batch of demi glace. The instructions said to put the empty roasting pan in the oven with a cup of wine to loosen the brown bits. I forgot about it and have a roasting pan coated in black. It is sitting in the sink full of hot water and some dishwasher detergent. Most of the carbon has come off thank goodness. if there are any stubborn spots, a little Easy Off should take care of it. At least the whole thing wasn't a fail. I only lost the browned bits.

167January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ewwww, Bugster ~ I hate when I start something and then get distracted.....

Tonight's supper was really a combination of my thoughts of making chicken fried steak and Norm's smothered chicken. I was originally going to make chicken fried steak with white pepper gravy. But then, when I saw his smothered chicken I remembered seeing something about an old South recipe of adding onions to the skillet before making the gravy ~ and I do love a bunch of fried onions. So, I sauteed the onions until caramalized and really a pretty brown before I added the flour, stock & cream. I think it was my favorite part of the meal!

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 01_21_10

Chicken fried steak smothered in onion gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans.

168January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Crispy10

This was just started in the rotisserie and when it was done after 2 1/2 hours, we ate it with mashed potatoes, thawed stuffing we froze at New Years Day. Brussels sprouts, and gravy.
I did the exact opposite someone watching cholesterol is supposed to do; I ate all the crispy skin off the bird.

We ate all the dark meat and wings, and the only thing left, is the entire breast, plus a drumstick. I will make chicken salad, later or tomorrow.

169January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What is this? A flip phone? ..... Come On! This is the 2018 era, not 1998. What goes here??......

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Img_3811

170January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:What is this? A flip phone? ..... Come On! This is the 2018 era, not 1998. What goes here??......

January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Img_3811

So so so cute.. so happy! Just want to cuddle him! and eat him up!!

171January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love the pic of Liam!

I use to give my girls a small compact mirror that clicked open and closed when they were riding in the grocery store cart. They loved opening and closing it ~ was a great 'small motor' exercise for their tiny hands.

Kids love the small size, motion and fun of touching the buttons.....and when you see them pretending to 'talk' on the phone, it's a great way to smile through your day!

172January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What's great, is he is not destructive. He pets the kitties nice, and never pulls the tail.
He loves to push buttons as well as any other kid does.
We gave him his own cabinet in the kitchen. Loaded with pots he can play with.
The gas range doesn't have safety knobs; so we have to watch him closely in the kitchen.
Saturday, they took him for a haircut. We haven't seen him yet. God forbid their cell phone camera's should break taking and sending a pic of his new haircut! ....

173January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got up early and put together a roasted asparagus lasagna for dinner tonight. Then I sliced up some onions to make slow cooker French onion soup.
We were sitting at the table last night eating dinner. I put Katie's mail at her seat. So she opens a bill for $300 for some blood work done last month. She wasn't expecting the bill. She says: I am going to have my Botox next week. I tell her that her first priority is to pay her bills and Botox should wait. She still owes us for a laptop. She says no. the Botox comes first and she will wait and pay the bills. Geez! I can't believe her mindset. Next week she is going to one of her Bunny sister's birthday party and wants to look her best. The laptop is the last time I am going to bail her out.

174January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I got up early and put together a roasted asparagus lasagna for dinner tonight. Then I sliced up some onions to make slow cooker French onion soup.
We were sitting at the table last night eating dinner. I put Katie's mail at her seat. So she opens a bill for $300 for some blood work done last month. She wasn't expecting the bill. She says: I am going to have my Botox next week. I tell her that her first priority is to pay her bills and Botox should wait. She still owes us for a laptop. She says no. the Botox comes first and she will wait and pay the bills. Geez! I can't believe her mindset. Next week she is going to one of her Bunny sister's birthday party and wants to look her best. The laptop is the last time I am going to bail her out.

That's the mentality of the younger generation. GD got her mail, ( at least when she squatted her butt here ) and didn't even open it,
and ground it up in the shredder. She said, "only bills from the Dr and hospital, screw them!"

I said..."NOooooo! If you paid the bill, the Dr would have given you the prescription for the Birth control pills, and you wouldn't have a baby after the fact YOU Ground Up your Dr. Bills!"...... Exclamation

175January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 7 Empty Re: January 2018, Whats for Dinner?? Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Ocala with Lyn today.....a 'Get-Out-of-Dodge' day!

We found a cute place to have lunch and then went to the mall. I found a pair of sandals and she found a couple dresses....a good day, I would say!

So, tonight is Pizza Delivery night. It's sounded good for me for a couple weeks so tonight, with me gone most of the day, seemed the perfect time to get online and order a pizza.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum