Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner?

+3
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Macaroni salad, and mashed potatoes. ( I will make gravy for my potatoes ).

Good -- no need for a pat of butter then!  Am laughing, but I know Tina meant well.  Like me, she could've expressed herself a bit differently but she was just looking out for your health, I'm sure.   But I did laugh at your "five hours" comment!

Brian woke up like a bear this morning.  I said something to him and he didn't respond.  I then asked, "Are you listening?" and he replied, "Yes, but I'm hurting."  I replied, "Well, I'm sorry as I'm over here dancing through a field of daisies myself" (mornings and evenings are the absolute worse times for my back pain).  Boy, he blew up at me, jumped out of bed, got dressed (fussing at me the whole time!) and headed downstairs.  

I hated to holler down to him about 15 minutes later but I went out on the balcony and noticed that the neighbors' recycling cans were still out for pickup =and noticed that he'd forgotten to put ours out so I hollered down that if he felt up to it, there was still time to get ours out (it was really, really full).  I thanked him when I saw him putting out the can from my perch on the balcony.  A few minutes later back inside he announced, "Coffee time," which meant he was meeting me halfway on the stairs with a cup of coffee and a big glass of iced coffee that I use in the morning to take my pills.  And shock of shock, he apologized to me for hollering at me as he said he was hurting and grouchy, and that I had said nothing wrong.  I thanked him for the apology, and remarked how I wasn't used to hearing too many of them (!!!) and he said, "I know.  I'm trying to be less annoying than I usually am and I'm trying to apologize when I'm an idiot."  Must be 'cause we had our 38th anniversary on Saturday!  Whatever the reason, it was really, really sweet and greatly appreciated.

Speaking of the balcony, we got a big storm yesterday (it hit a lot of states very very hard with tornados but we were lucky -- it just got dark as 9 p.m. and we got about 3 inches of rain on our rain gauge, which we needed).  But today is GLORIOUS!  It began in the low 60s and is now in the mid 70s -- and LOW HUMIDITY, my best friend!  I put the cushions out on the balcony chairs so we can go out there later on and enjoy the gorgeous afternoon.  It has already been ghastly hot a bit earlier than usual so this nice cool, dry day is a pleasant surprise.  

Jazz Fest was this past weekend and also runs this Thursday thru Sunday.  The weather was so bad yesterday that they postponed opening the fairgrounds until the storm had passed in early afternoon.  Though it's pretty today, the fairgrounds infield will need a day or two to dry out.  By Thursday, it will be hot again and I think more rain is expected.  A couple of years ago, 2011 I think, Brian's late cousin Colleen, who lived in Salem, MA, came with a friend for the first week of the Fest and the weather was absolutely perfect -- just like today -- the whole time they were here.  I was so glad.  We were even able to go to dinner in the French Quarter in the evening and sit outside on the patio; they don't even open the patios for serving when it's hot and sticky!  I was so glad as Colleen, who had been battling brain cancer, which had recently come back, died in early Spring 2013.  We had soooo much fun while she was here and we remain friends with her friend Susan who stayed at our house with Colleen.  Colleen was a pretty impressive person -- she retired in early 2012 -- had worked for the National Park Service for 31 years (she was 60 when she passed away), and retired as Chief of Marine and Special Programs at Salem Maritime National Historic Site.  She loved her job and had devoted many long hours to planning and organizing the construction and operation of Friendship of Salem, a 171-foot replica of a 1797 East Indiaman.  When she died, they cock-billed the Friendship of Salem's yards (dipped the yard arms nearest to the wharf downward at a steep angle) in Colleen's honor and they remained that way for a week.  We couldn't go but we were told that never had the Maritime Museum seen so many staff and volunteers turn out for anything as they did for Colleen.  There was a super article in the local paper there with the headline "Friendship has lost its Best Friend."  Sorry to go on but it's nearing the four year anniversary of Colleen's passing and I just felt like bragging on her all of a sudden.  Here's a pic of Friendship of Salem:

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? - Page 8 <a href=APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? - Page 8 Friendship%20of%20Salem_zpsutodxmmw" />

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Beth, I ate half my sandwich at 3 and the rest  few minutes ago.  Charlie is making himself a sandwich with the Cuban pork and a couple of mixed dry salamis as well as some ham.

Mmm, I love Cuban sandwiches, too, Charlie's build sounds super! Looked really good, Norm.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:He was happy with a home cooked meal with Lyn out of town.

APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170429_174416877

I'll bet he was -- it looked really good, Beth! I never think to have sweet potatoes like you do but I'm going to have to pick some up as Brian loves them, too. Plus, they're nice to cut into wedges, coat with seasoning and roast in the oven. I've got a "roast" option in convection only in my oven and things really come out well when I use it -- why, I don't know, but they do!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cindy, I agree with Beth and Jimmy about finding the manual online, as it should be pretty easy.

We never wash our grill so I wouldn't bother.  Buy a small grill brush or order one online and while the grill is warm (or the next time you fire it up), just run the brush over the grill a couple of times and anything that needs to be cleaned off will be cleaned off.  If you close it up tight after you use it, it's fine to do this the next time you fire it up.  Just let the grill get really hot.  Here's one from Amazon that's highly rated but just search for grill brush on Google to find one that's smaller that you might prefer:

https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Grillers-Cleaner-Effective-Stainless/dp/B00T95H1PE/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1493665344&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=small+grill+brush&psc=1

You might want to purchase a charcoal chimney, too -- you won't have to use lighter fluid (or store it inside your apartment) and you can fill the charcoal chimney with only as much charcoal as you need to make a small fire.  Here's a small one on sale at Amazon (you don't need a big one), or you can find one for the same price at Home Depot if you don't like mail order:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=compact+rapidfire+chimney+starter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=178366666046&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14411637507826390161&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025146&hvtargid=kwd-53599065797&ref=pd_sl_4vxjqmizea_b

We'll all help you get started.  Great way to cook meat and grill veggies for you, Cindy, as not only will they taste fantastic, but they'll be low in calories and fat!  Grilled veggies are delicious hot but they're also good warm or even cold with a nice vinaigrette on them the next day!  Any vegetable tastes better grilled!  How nice of your neighbor to give you this -- and please don't worry about the inside losing its sheen -- think of it as you will be seasoning your new grill!  

Tell us what you'd like to cook first once you get set up and we'll all kick in with ideas and/or recipes.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I used some of the leftover grilled chicken for my (faux) Chicken Enchiladas. I don't have a clue how to make 'real' enchiladas so I just make something we like. The filling is shredded chicken, cream cheese (because I don't like 'regular' cheese), sour cream. chopped onions & a couple cans of green chiles. The green enchilada sauce is store bought.

That's pretty clever since you don't like cheese, Beth. Why don't you spice up those mild green chilés with some of your sambal oelek? Mmmmm! I use that stuff like it's going out of style, though I'm careful to not make things too hot for Brian. He got over his recent bout with finding spicy things too hot, though -- he got so he couldn't tolerate the heat in things he got used to long ago and had enjoyed for years but it's going away and his heat tolerance is coming back. I think it was that trial he was in with radioactive stuff that affected his appetite and his taste buds. The trial has been over for about 60 days but he has one more radioactive shot he has to take and then he's finished with that stuff for good. Seems to be working as his cancer has stopped getting worse and is holding steady, somewhere he had to get before it starts getting better. (He's lost a lot of weight but he looks good. He wore his white linen suit when we went out Saturday night and I kept seeing women checking him out!) They actually use a Geiger counter when he's at the hospital!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'd planned to go to the grocery today with Brian but neither of us is up to it. He pinched a nerve or something in his shoulder and has pain radiating down his arm to his hand as well. He has an appointment with his orthopedic surgeon on Thursday so hopefully, they can help. We both already take killer pain pills and they're not helping him. Anyway, I'm just going to roast some chicken thighs with butter, lemon and fresh rosemary and have them with some quickie pasta Alfredo and some quickly sautéed homegrown baby bok choy. But London broil is on sale and this is the recipe I saw last week which I planned on making. Sounds delicious, to me anyway...

Stuffed London Broil
Serves 4. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day / New Orleans Advocate, 4.27.17.

1 small onion, caramelized
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 Tablespoon butter
2 cups fresh kale or spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon Steen’s Cane Syrup vinegar
5 ounces goat cheese, herbes de Provence flavored if possible
2 Tablespoons fig preserves
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
2-3 pound beef London broil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Slice onion into strips and sauté in 1 Tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium-low heat until tender and brown, but not burned, about 20 minutes.
3. Add kale and vinegar to the onions. Sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes [less if you’re wilting spinach].
4. In a food processor, pulse cheese, preserves, cream, kale and onions until all ingredients are incorporated.
5. Slice the London broil across the long side to make a pocket or fold it back like a book. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the beef. Roll it up gently and secure with twine.
6. Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pan with some of the salt and pepper, place the stuffed beef down in the hot skillet and season the top with the remaining salt and pepper.
7. Brown one minute on each side. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the beef reaches about 130°F for medium–well [I’d go for120 °F so it will rise to medium]. Serve warm.

I hadn't even heard of Steen's Cane Syrup Vinegar but am anxious to buy some and hope my grocery has it. We love Steen's syrup which, of course, is made in Abbeville, Louisiana!

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:Beth, I ate half my sandwich at 3 and the rest  few minutes ago.  Charlie is making himself a sandwich with the Cuban pork and a couple of mixed dry salamis as well as some ham.

Mmm, I love Cuban sandwiches, too,  Charlie's build sounds super!  Looked really good, Norm.

Thanks. We should have them more often.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle....Brian's cousin sounds like a woman ahead of her time. Sad you all lost her at such a young age.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the 'fresh' red beet salad. If you didn't care for the fresh cooked then the raw are going to probably just taste like a ball of mud to you both. I wore gloves to peel and slice on my Feemster Vegetable Slicer & cut into matchsticks. Used a dinner plate so I didn't stain a cutting board for '6 or 7' dishwasher washings to get the stains off.

I figure by the time someone gets to a good 'mid-life' age and they don't care for the taste of something they have the right to refuse to try anymore.

Tonight I made a grilled rib eye, reheated the leftover butternut squash, cooked the last of the head of cauliflower on the grill and reheated the last of the corn/bean saute. I intended to take my usual pic but Dane managed to dribble bits of squash all over the turntable and his placemat and it distracted me when I filled my plate.

So it's all his fault.

184APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: APRIL 2017... What's Cooking for Dinner? Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I started the MAY 2017 Breakfast / and Dinner threads....

Thuh Thuh Thuh Thuh, That's All Folks ..... pig

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum