Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today's harvest!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Today's harvest! Empty Today's harvest! Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'Harvest Day'......

Planted February 7th.....harvested just a month later! Woo Hoo!!

Today's harvest! IMG_20170307_160922457

2Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Today was 'Harvest Day'......

Planted February 7th.....harvested just a month later!  Woo Hoo!!

Today's harvest! IMG_20170307_160922457

Did you eat the leaves too?

3Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to try to saute them but they tasted too bitter to me.......

4Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I love radishes, especially fresh ones!

I know you hate cilantro, Beth, but for those who don't, this is a super quick salad/side dish. This is good alongside flautas or enchiladas.

Radish Salad

4 radishes, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

In a bowl, toss the radishes with the cilantro, onion and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.

5Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm sure some would find that salad refreshing and wonderful.....

but for someone who thinks cilantro tastes like 'dirty sweat socks' ~ not so much. LOL!

I automatically switch the word 'cilantro' for 'parsley' and then I'm fine. You'll never see me post a recipe with that evil herb!

6Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I'm sure some would find that salad refreshing and wonderful.....

but for someone who thinks cilantro tastes like 'dirty sweat socks' ~ not so much.  LOL!

I automatically switch the word 'cilantro' for 'parsley' and then I'm fine.  You'll never see me post a recipe with that evil herb!  

we have lots of cilantro in our yard, all over it, because they grow so easily, now they are getting old and starting getting flowers, we ate a lot of them but they grow faster than we eat.. we both like them cheers

Today's harvest! WhatsApp%20Image%202017-03-07%20at%201.42.44%20PM

and we some spinach

Today's harvest! WhatsApp%20Image%202017-03-07%20at%201.42.44%20PM%202

and lots of chili peppers, they are mixed Thai chilies, red serrano, fresno and jalapeno

Today's harvest! 13517655_10210052106365577_8459566483481035711_o

Today's harvest! 15203284_10211602005272081_4672641464605224669_n

and bunch of green onions

Today's harvest! WhatsApp%20Image%202017-03-07%20at%201.42.44%20PM%201

7Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

your crops look great, Imelda!

everything must love your climate.....especially the pepper plants!

8Today's harvest! Empty Re: Today's harvest! Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, your garden looks like your cooking does -- fresh, delicious and over the top!

I wish cilantro grew that well here.  We still have some growing and it does really well in winter (even our Southern version of "winter") but once it gets hot, its season is pretty much over for us, though I can keep a tiny bit growing in a pot in the shade until maybe June or so.  I'm jealous of yours -- maybe it doesn't like our humidity?  Your soil looks kind of sandy in nature -- am I right?  Maybe it doesn't like our type of soil, which is more like potting soil than sandy soil.

Your spinach and peppers look delicious, too.  We just planted a jalapeno plant this morning.  

I never had had very much luck with green peppers, though lots of people in Louisiana do.  I tried growing poblano peppers, which I adore, and though they did better than my bell peppers did, they, too, were a disappointment.  I use them in dishes like bell peppers but I like to roast them over a flame on the gas stove (I put one of those wire mesh screen "splash guards" right on the burner and a big poblano on top of the screen, and rotate it occasionally).  I find their flavor is really enhanced if I roast them and peel them prior to use.  Yum.  

We still have a bit of lettuce still growing though the heat will take care of that soon.  And arugula, too, which we used last night as lettuce on our grilled burgers.  I just love the bit of a bite that arugula has.  

I don't think I've ever seen one of your dishes that I wouldn't eat with a smile on my face.  I shouldn't be surprised your garden grown veggies/herbs look just as good.   Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum