Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Antique surprise

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Antique surprise Empty Antique surprise Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:54 pm

NormM

NormM

I went to Bass Pro today to look at sausage stuffers and realized that they make stainless versions of a cast iron antique I got at a yard sale decades ago.  I thought it was an apple cider press because it had a perforated liner but that liner comes out and it has two sized plates that screw on to the shaft. I got it primarily for it's potential as an accent piece or some kind of decoration but I also thought maybe I'd try making cider with it someday. I never did because I was afraid of using the old thing and so it just sat in one garage after another as i moved from place to place.  The part that screws on to hold the feeder tubes is missing as is the tubes so I still won't use if for sausage but I thought it was fun to realize I had such a thing all these years.

Antique surprise DSCN3437_zpsgwaercdf

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

2Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice piece to display Norm. Too bad the pieces are missing. Still; like you said, you can still make apple juice, or I would think you could squeeze blueberries to make blueberry jelly.

3Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

It's really cool, Norm.  You should send a photo of it to Cook's Illustrated's What Is This? area to see if they can identify it as well...

I've never been to a Bass Pro Shop but have heard it's a true "destination" store.

4Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 am

NormM

NormM

The original Bass Pro in Springfield, Mo. is quite a destination store. The one here in Olathe (Kansas City), less. It has a lot of the same attractions but smaller.

Jimmy, the thing is so old (pat. date 1897) and dirty, that I'd think twice before I even tried to clean it enough to use it.

5Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

You've got a good eye, Norm. Must be the artist in you. I'd love to see some of your own artwork.

6Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 am

NormM

NormM

Here is some of my pottery

Antique surprise DSCF1029_zpsi6smpkzu

A gargoyle is one of several I did for a friend

Antique surprise 013_10A_zps8ccraqzo

A calligraphy sample

Antique surprise DSCN1062_zpsfup5tf1m

some silver rings

Antique surprise DSCN1123_zpscwgs9vcm

A pencil drawing

Antique surprise DSCN1125_zps5wspyhnr

A couple more drawings

Antique surprise PDR_0003_2_zpsxswsk3r8

A painting of a house where I once lived.

Antique surprise DSCN1127_zpsmzd4kelq

A picture of some more pottery

Antique surprise 12963468_10204987280556661_7424203587999976668_n_zpsei1tzjno

7Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

All so very beautiful. You are very talented, Norm.

8Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:28 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth

9Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:56 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, I have to echo what Beth said. It seems everything you do is beautiful!! You are such a talent; so creative and artistic. I admire you!

10Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Oh my God!  Norm, you are so talented that it's mind-boggling!  I was taken aback by the pottery, thinking that was your medium and spent a long time looking at the pieces, not realizing how many photos were below it. My favorites are the pieces on the shelf and the tall piece to the left of the shelf.  The large blue one on the table with the cover is really pretty as well; I was told years ago by some potters that blue is a very difficult color to achieve or deal with.  I've got a couple of very dark blue pieces and one which shares the color blue of yours.  Very, very nice, Norm.

And the gargoyle -- I've been drawn to them for years and even bought some as gifts for people years ago before they got so popular.  They were much harder to find back then but it's nice to see so many available in retail settings today.  Yours looks very unique and scary -- just what a gargoyle should be!  Some of our older buildings here have them, though not many.  Some of them must have been created as drains for buildings as water comes down from them when it rains.  They always have fascinated me, even as a kid.

The rings you did are very nice as well but I really like your drawings.  I'm unsure if the first three are charcoal or pen and ink but they're really quite nice.  The facial expressions are all so wonderful and show so much talent.  I can only imagine what it feels like to be so talented.  All I can do is appreciate others' talents and purchase works I fall in love with (Brian would tell you I fall in love with wayyy too many).  It must feel incredible to sit down and create things that are so pretty and that evoke thoughts and feelings in others.  Just creating something others admire must be wonderful, too.  I was once being shown a photo by the artist herself (a friend of an artist friend of mine) in a gallery and the photo (I call it an "altered photo" as it's not just a straight photo) was so sad that it made me cry.  When she saw the tears welling up in my eyes, she started to cry, too.  Of course, I had to have it and bought it right then; had to wait until the show was over to pick it up.  To this day, probably 13 years after I purchased it, it still occasionally brings tears to my eyes.  It's a very very sad image of an angel in our prettiest local cemetery, Metairie Cemetery.  It's a life-sized angel leaning her whole body over the edge of a grave weeping.  It's just so sad that it made me wonder who was the person whose family paid a fortune (even years ago) to have that angel sculpted and weeping over the loss of their loved one.  They must've loved the deceased so much to have that angel be so sad...

I've got to say I've never regretted purchasing a piece of art but I have lots of regrets about pieces I didn't purchase.  I still have artwork stashed around the house waiting to be framed.  One stunning watercolor (my favorite medium) is waiting at the top of the list but it's pretty big and I want it matted wider than normal so I figure it will cost me a bundle.  It's currently poorly matted and covered with plexiglass instead of glass and has some crapola stuck under the plexiglass on top of the matting.  My brother recently came to my house and fell in love with it as well.  He told me he'd cart it to the framer in his SUV when I'm ready as Brian could barely fit it in the car when he picked it up for me (I bought it from a local Public TV channel's last televised auction of donated art).

I can't thank you enough for going to the trouble of taking those pics and posting them, Norm.  I knew you were a retired art teacher and was always curious about what type of medium you worked in.  Had no idea that you were sooo talented in so many mediums.  Many, many thanks.
--Michelle

11Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:10 am

NormM

NormM

Thank you Cooking girl and Michelle. It had been my experience that red is the difficult color in pottery glazes. Cobalt is a very strong blue colorant and the only problem I have ever had with it is not using too much. It takes only a very small amount to get a bright blue.

My friend in Junction City built a castle in his back yard. It is one for show, not one to live in and I made some gargoyles which are designed to be drains. He originally put them on top of one of the towers to serve as rain gutters but later moved them down where people could see them.

The drawings are pencil drawings. I use a pencil with dark lead.

Here is a picture of my friend's castle.

Antique surprise Dons_zpsbi3vxbut

12Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even your pic of the castle is 'artistic'.....love the reflection in the water.

Very few people have your talent ~ amazing!

13Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:05 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thank you Cooking girl and Michelle.  It had been my experience that red is the difficult color in pottery glazes.  Cobalt is a very strong blue colorant and the only problem I have ever had with it is not using too much.  It takes only a very small amount to get a bright blue.

My friend in Junction City built a castle in his back yard. It is one for show, not one to live in and I made some gargoyles which are designed to be drains. He originally put them on top of one of the towers to serve as rain gutters but later moved them down where people could see them.

The drawings are pencil drawings.  I use a pencil with dark lead.

Here is a picture of my friend's castle.

Antique surprise Dons_zpsbi3vxbut

Thanks for the added info, Norm, as I was indeed curious.  For some reason, the castle didn't come out, though.

14Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am

NormM

NormM

Trying again
Antique surprise Dons_zpsvjvsivbf

here are two of my gargoyles in a waterfall at the castle

Antique surprise 009_6A_zps0152bbf9

the pond at the foot of the waterfall. It had gold fish in it

Antique surprise 007_4A_zpsbd785ed4

One of the bridges over the moat around the castle.  The waterfall and pond  areat the bottom of the tower in the background.

Antique surprise Castlebridge

15Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:45 am

NormM

NormM

The waterfall was not running in this picture.

Antique surprise Donscastle

People told me the moat needed a monster. Here is is after the water had gone down and floating grass was left in its mouth.

Antique surprise Moatmonster

16Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OMG... ?n "Is Maid Marion Locked up there in the tower?"

It looks great! ... I'm waiting for Micky Mouse and the Disney characters to come marching out!

17Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 am

NormM

NormM

He did have a suit of armor standing at the top of the stairs leading to the upper area.

18Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You guys must have had a great time designing the area and figuring out where to place your art.

Looks great!

19Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:10 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

My lord! What an undertaking that castle was! Thanks for showing us, Norm.

20Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

And I was going to post..."Any Alli - GATORS in there??"

21Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:And I was going to post..."Any Alli - GATORS in there??"

As in HONEYgator?! Good memory, Jimmy.

22Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:And I was going to post..."Any Alli - GATORS in there??"

As in HONEYgator?!  Good memory, Jimmy.

Only Half the Memory! The Honey part.

23Antique surprise Empty Re: Antique surprise Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:38 am

NormM

NormM

He did all the designing and building himself. All of the stuff I added was an afterthought on my part. Everything I did was as a surprise to him. I also added a troll for the bridge.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum