Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Patience is NOT my virtue.....

+3
cookingirl
Barbara101
bethk
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have whined about our glass dining table ever since we bought this house and it came included.

I clean the darn thing and the next thing I know it's all smudged and covered in bits of this 'n that.

And as soon as I get the top clean and sparkling, the sun shines on it and all I see is smears and fingerprints on the underside.....how does that happen???? Who's touching the underside of the table 18" from the edge??? I swear, Mr. Amazing does it just to get me to fall over the edge of sanity!

Well, today, since Lyn & I didn't have anything else to occupy ourselves, we decided to go looking at sleeper sofas. I want to move the bed out of my spare room that only gets slept in about 28 nights a year and put in a sleeper sofa. Then, when I want to watch something on TV I won't have to go lay on my bed. (Our master bedroom isn't large enough for the bed, night stands AND lounging chair.)

We didn't see any sleeper sofas I couldn't live without.

BUT, as we were walking through the furniture store we came across a dining table that I thought would be perfect for this house. I noticed the chairs first ~ the set is Amish made, solid maple and the chairs have a 'bent' back that fits the hollow of your back perfectly. OK, so, admitedly, it was marked down and sold, 'as-is', and has some minor scratch/ding marks. But it was originally over $5k (an amount I would NEVER spend) and was discounted DRASTICALLY. The table has 2 leaves and is about a 42" round table with both leaves out, which is the size of the glass table we now have. With the leaves it will comfortably seat 6, possibly 8, if needed.

So, Lyn & I came back here to the house and told Dane I wanted him to come and see a table set......he could hardly argue if Lyn was here as my 'back'! He saw it, knew I REALLY wanted it and, truth be told, I'm pretty sure he thought it was a beautiful table, too.....although he'll NEVER admit that. I don't ask for a lot....truly. So, I guess he was feeling like if he said, "NO", I might just poison him. For whatever reason, maybe he really IS a nice guy....he agreed we could purchase the set. And the best part is they can deliver it BEFORE the family comes for a visit. I know DD#1 will walk in, see the new dining set and ask me if I killed Dad! LOL

Patience is NOT my virtue..... IMG_20160328_122405670_HDR

2Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Very nice.. Patience is NOT my virtue..... 2599281016

3Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:30 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beautiful set! I love that wood! and Amish styling..
good for you!

4Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks! I'm excited for it to be delivered.

5Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Very nice table. I have a glass top dining table and I know about the fingerprints, smudges, dust and cat hair. Our cats will sleep in the dining chairs and sneeze when they feel like it. The sneeze juice flies all over the underside of the tabletop. No matter what I do my glass always looks streaked.

6Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

My glass top is outside lol I just hose it off !

7Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Patience is NOT my virtue..... 12799437_976611729099686_3117437521357508649_n

i bought this set when I first moved here.My DR set would not fit so I sold it. Got this kitchen set off craigs list for $100.When it was a safe to pace to buy something..
I sold it to the thrift store I found close to me house for $180.lol..

8Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Patience is NOT my virtue..... 10704104_986593898101469_5912149567580331931_n

I have wanted this design for years.I see it at Ace hardware and it is sooooooooooo expensive.Really expensive..
I saw this at said store for $20.!!!!! very big and so so heavy..

cheers cheers

9Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 am

NormM

NormM

Nice looking and solid wood. I got one about 5 years ago at a 'good' furniture store and the varnish is already chipping. I could get it refinished, I suppose but it looks like the wood is a veneer and probably wouldn't be worth it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

10Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:Nice looking and solid wood. I got one about 5 years ago at a 'good' furniture store and the varnish is already chipping.  I could get it refinished, I suppose but it looks like the wood is a veneer and probably wouldn't be worth it.  

I bought a used Baker dining set back in the 80's. I paid $500 for it. I sold it about 5 years ago because for 20 years I had to live with it covered by a table pad. I was afraid the cats would scratch it and the sun would fade it. It had a beautiful flame mahogany veneer on the top with a lighter wood border. I sold it for $4500.00. What I am trying to say is that a veneer shouldn't stop you from refinishing. Most good furniture is veneered. What you have to think about is whether it is worth it. Refinishing by a pro can be expensive - but it depends. If it is 11 coats of lacquer - ouch! Urethane- maybe not so expensive. It could cost more than the set is worth. If you can do it yourself - wonderful! You didn't say where the set was chipping but this is what my parents always did: my father always had either a glass top cut to fit or a plexiglass one and placed it on top of the wood. The glass had felt pads or small clear feet to keep it slightly elevated off the wood. It kept the wood fairly safe from kids and was easy to clean (can't see the streaks when placed over wood for some reason).

11Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 pm

NormM

NormM

I had a table with a felt backed cover and I had a clear plastic table cloth on previous tables. Charlie wanted to get a glass cover for this one but it was cheap to start with and the cover would have been about 25% more cost.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

12Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

A couple is coming to look at my glass top table set this evening.....EVERYONE cross your fingers that they like it and want to buy it.

The new one is being delivered between 8:30 - 10:30 tomorrow morning.

13Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:03 pm

JanaAZ

I know what you mean. We have a glass top in the condo. we spend maybe 1 or 2 days a month there and jeezzzzz, it always has fingerprints on it. Even when nobody touches it. I don't want to change it but I'm thinking about putting on a tablecloth so I don't have to keep windex in my hand constantly.

14Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I will say, it has taught me that the clear (vinegar) Windex does the best job.....

Not that I ever really wanted to know!

15Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just re-read my original post. The table & chairs aren't maple....they are solid CHERRY.

Geesh! My mind plays such tricks on me sometimes.

16Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Hope you were able to sell your glass top set tonight, Beth. The Amish set is very pretty, too.

I know what you mean about glass. I have a glass topped cocktail table in the living room and I always wonder how the bottom of it gets dirty... I'm lucky though as the living room is full of light but the living room is on the north side of the house so streaks and stuff don't show in the light. Until I sit in front of it.

That glass top makes Brian very nervous since I had an accident and the glass slid off of the base so I'm sure I'll replace it one day, as I'm planning a re-do of the room -- paint color, new furniture, different layout. He won't care one way or the other but I'll definitely earn points if I ditch that glass-topped table!

17Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The couple came to look at the table....very strange. They saw pics of the set and had asked about the color before arriving. They were looking for a white table with a 42" glass top ~ not the set. They asked if I would consider selling just the table.....huh??

Oh well, maybe someone else will want to give the set a new home. ((sigh))

18Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I saw it in some pic you posted . Nice . I sure would take it .
My yard/patio set is from 1970 lol no joke . And everyone and thier cousin wants it . I like a glass table .

19Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know the local resale shop will take it and sell it....but I thought I'd try first instead of letting it go and only getting 55% of the selling price. My new one was delivered this morning but they left one of the leaves at the store and have to return. Not a huge deal but inconvenient. I do really like it in my dining space. Wood is so much 'warmer' than glass ~ and I can accomodate more than 4 people even without a leaf!

20Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth! Awesome! Now I need me some new furniture!! But I need to rob a bank first.... bounce

21Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Check 'em out, Cyn......lots of them have sample day at the end of the month.....

LOL

22Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:35 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The couple came to look at the table....very strange.  They saw pics of the set and had asked about the color before arriving.  They were looking for a white table with a 42" glass top ~ not the set.  They asked if I would consider selling just the table.....huh??

I can "hear" The Doors' song in my head... "People are strange..." They must have been thinking of painting the base or something. I'm curious, though: Were they old, young, middle aged?

23Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:09 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had one of those kind of people come to look at some furniture. A woman came and I think she just came to "look". She thought the furniture was really nice and then looked around and asked "Why don't you have all the matching pieces"? I don't like a house where everything matches. What a bore. Anyway, she came and went.

24Patience is NOT my virtue..... Empty Re: Patience is NOT my virtue..... Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I don't like a house where everything matches.

I don't either, Bug.  I think furniture should look like you accumulated it and not like it was purchased by the "roomette" in a furniture store.  Cohesiveness is one thing but matching is a totally different animal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum