Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ham suggestion....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ham suggestion.... Empty Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I got the $5 ham from WinnDixie this morning. It's a 9.75 lb. shank portion smoked ham.

There is no way Dane & I will eat that much ham, even if I invite company over for the meal.

Do you think I could cut around the bone and then slice it into 2" ham steaks? I never thought of asking at the store if they could slice it for me....hmmmm, maybe I should call and see if they would do that?

2Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:42 pm

NormM

NormM

I made ham tetrazzini with some left over ham the other day. I froze the bone to cook with navy beans someday soon.

PS I have a butchers bone saw you can borrow.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

check out the recipe i posted from Jacques .. I am going to make it..

4Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I called the store and asked about returning the ham to be sliced.....sorry, but, no ~ health department rule about not dealing with food after it leaves the store. Dumb me. I should have asked when I was there. He said that would not have been a problem.

So, I was able to cut around the bone and get two nice ham steaks....about 2 1/2" thick. Not much fat in the meat. So there is still a nice chunk to roast on the bone for a big dinner. Then I'll still have the whole bone to cook up for stock.

So, thanks for the offer, Norm, but my 5" bone stickin' out of my shank portion will just have to act as a rack for baking my ham. LOL

5Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:check out the recipe i posted from Jacques .. I am going to make it..

Where? I think I've missed it.....

6Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

7Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhh, that looks like the perfect idea for the bone-in shank I have. The ham steaks will probably be done on a bed of scalloped potatoes with lots of half & half....

8Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:32 pm

NormM

NormM

I have mixed up that glaze for the ham I am going to serve on Thursday, only I used pineapple balsamic vinegar instead of plain balsamic vinegar.

9Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK....OK...I'm digging this one up from a couple years ago!

I am used to a ham steak from a smoked ham, to be about 1/2 inch thick. My mom baked them in the oven with the usual pineapple and we ate it with knife and fork etc etc.
NOW! ... In the freezer, I found a 2" thick nice big ham slice. That's it! One 2 inch thick monster slice. No bone in! About 10 inch round diameter thick slice. What do I do with that?? I am wishing for a ham steak, but Not That Thick.
What am I missing here???

10Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:33 am

NormM

NormM

This is a good glaze for ham

1 (10 pound) fully-cooked spiral cut ham
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup apricot jam

1 teaspoon dry mustard powder

11Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:21 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:In the freezer, I found a 2" thick nice big ham slice. That's it! One 2 inch thick monster slice. No bone in! About 10 inch round diameter thick slice. What do I do with that?? I am wishing for a ham steak, but Not That Thick.
What am I missing here???

Wow! If it were mine, I'd chop it up in cubes to use in pasta salad -- something Brian adores. I'd have to section it and put it in freezer bags again but with your huge family probably getting together for Easter, you might be able to use the whole thick slice! You could make pasta salad with a mayo dressing in one big bowl and pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing in another bowl.

Speaking of ham, I saw Black Forest Ham is on sale at the grocery we go to. I'm having Brian pick up a two-inch "slice" from the deli so I can cut it up and freeze it in portions for pasta salad. I got that idea from Beth and it's a good one. A pound of the Black Forest Ham is currently cheaper than a pound of cut up small chunks people use for seasoning veggies down here so the time is right!

12Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 am

NormM

NormM

I have a Bores Head ham for Easter.  They had some to sample in the store and it was really good.

13Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ham is such an easy meat to use.

Jimmy, my mom use to do one of those big thick ham slices in the oven....she would slather it with mustard (for some reason I remember her using a lot of Coleman's Dry Mustard but that's so 'hot' that I cannot believe my memory is correct on that). She put the coated ham slice in a 9 X 9 Pyrex casserole pan and then poured half & half over it and let it bake, covered for an hour or so. Then she removed the foil and let it brown just a bit.

As I remember, the half & half would look all curdled from the salt & mustard (salt coming out of the ham, not any she added). It was gross looking but it was the best tasting, mild ham I've ever eaten.

I'm going to have to get a big old ham slice and try it again to see if my memory serves me right....

14Ham suggestion.... Empty Re: Ham suggestion.... Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks for all the suggestions. That thar ole ham is gonna sleep in the chilly freezer till maybe the next BBQ.

The thing is, I can't remember ever, where a ham steak was cut that thick.
Usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.   silent

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]