Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you live without a disposal ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How do you live without a disposal ??? on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 am

Barbara101

Drain was clogged.Landlord 'fixed' it. No No 

Runs free now. Well maybe.

This morning I washed out my stock pot & it drained REALLY slow.Had a few dregs of leftover stuff like carrot ,ran the disposal & it would not drain.. Finally it did.

I am just going to not use the thing for awhile & see what happens..

Now I just have to remember to not dump food stuff in the sink..

2 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:05 am

bethk

Admin
I have a disposal and I don't use it. Not worth the bother of crap getting caught in the drain line and having to dismantle and deal with all the icky stuff built up in there.

In Ohio I didn't have a disposal because of the septic system (not adviseable when you have to have the tank pumped yearly). I've been use to putting the garbage in the trash. But there (Ohio) I had a compost pile for all my vegetable scraps to break down outside. Here, not an option.

But we have twice weekly trash pickup so nothing gets really stinky. I use the plastic bags the newspaper comes with to contain a lot of the stuff, just drop it in and tie it off. The hardest is when I do something like making soup stock and I have a lot of gooey, soft, and/or liquid scraps. Sometimes those newspaper bags get leaky.....ewwww.

But, like I said, I'd rather put the stuff in the trash than have to deal with taking the pipes under the sink apart. Did it only once here and I don't plan to do it again.

3 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:51 am

NormM

My mom wrapped and froze garbage until trash day. Even if it would have thawed by the time it got picked up, it wouldn't smell until it was far away. I don't know why she never thought to compost it. She always had a garden.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Growing up in Pa. We had a burn barrel made from a 55 gallon oil drum with holes poked at the bottom. We burned the garbage, and sometimes it would smoulder, and boy did it stink. Especially if there were egg shells in there. They stopped burning garbage I think in the early 70's.

Here, we just heave scraps or meat bones like chicken etc. right off the back deck, and all the little furry friends and feathered friends have it cleaned up in minutes.

Old liquids ( like mashed potatoes / chicken soup / gravies / puddings etc. , we flush down the toilet. Especially now. We just bought the American Standard one that will flush a pail of golf balls, or a pound of hot dogs. We have community sewer system, so I say , once it is in the street, it's out of my hands. LOL ... Naturally I don't stuff big stuff for fear it will stop up the main line, but if it ever does, I know the drill having worked in dads Plumbing Business as a youngster.

5 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 pm

NormM

In Kansas City we burned trash in the same kind of barrel. We had a separate smaller barrel for garbage. Some guy who was said to have a pig farm picked up the garbage.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:In Kansas City we burned trash in the same kind of barrel.  We had a separate smaller barrel for garbage.  Some guy who was said to have a pig farm picked up the garbage.

What a shame with the burn barrel. When the darn thing was starting to rot and was rusty, dad would load it on the truck, and drive down to the river, and heave it.
Time for a new barrel. Dad would buy an empty oil drum from the Gulf Gas station / garage up on main street for 2 dollars.

Dad would cut the top open using a chisel and hammer. Then we would christen the new drum by lighting a paper and wood fire. The old oil left in the drum would burn, and smoke the whole neighborhood. No one complained, and no one called the cops.Now it was ready for another year of burning.

7 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 am

bethk

Admin
Living out on the farm, we burned lots of stuff, including all our household trash. All vegetable scraps went to the field to compost. The protein scraps (meat bones, etc.) went to the animals....we always had 10 to 15 stray cats. They helped keep the mice controlled around the barn where the grain would be stored to dry.

We didn't bother with a burn barrel. Just pile it up and light it. It use to be my brothers job. Well, it was my 2 older brothers job until my brother, Bill, (a year older than me) set himself on fire. The burn pile must have been damp so he decided to use some gasoline to help get it going. Not a good idea.

It still amazes me how fast my mother could run. That, and the fact she knew immediately the difference in "Help!" when 4 kids were playing around and "HELP!" when one of her kids was on fire. She came out the back door and tackled Bill to the ground so fast ~ we were amazed she didn't break something on one of them.

Bill ended up with 3rd degree burns on his leg, the gasoline had dribbled on his jeans and acted like a wick when he tossed the match to light the fire. Kids sure can be dumb.

After that, Dad was the one in charge of burning the trash. No question about it.

8 Re: How do you live without a disposal ??? on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Bugster2

I barely use the garbage disposer myself. I mainly use it to grind up crumbs and food bits. I put real garbage in a used plastic grocery bag and tie it in a knot and throw it in with my kitchen trash.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum