Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

where would love to live

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1where would love to live Empty where would love to live Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Beach,seaside.

mountains.

desert,southwest,

North,South,East. West,

I am fixin to move sometime in the next year might take 2 years. But that gives me time to decide.

sorry not moving to any cold ice snow.
Not moving to any where in Fla. been there done that..

I really really loved western nc till I found out it does SNOW. Realtor lied big time so she could sell the house to me.

Cost of living here is triple what it is in other parts of the USA.

Lived in Ca .. oh hell no.. not ever moving back there. Evil or Very Mad

Arizona is looking good to me. No bugs. No humid. No hurricanes.Cost of living Is low compared to here.

I have plenty of time to research that..

2where would love to live Empty Re: where would love to live Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

JanaAZ

Hmmm....no bugs in Arizona? I think you have the wrong Arizona. We have scorpions, roaches the size of a yacht and lately, we've even had mosquitos. Not like Chicago, mind you, but there are mosquitos. And....rattlesnakes.....lots of rattlesnakes. I've never seen any, but I have friends who have had them in their yard. Our house in Phx is about 1/2 mile from the border of the desert, so I don't know if I can say I haven't seen one for long.

We get monsoons, but unless there's a microburst with them, they're nothing like a hurricane or tornado. I used to love the heat up to about 110-115. For the last few years, it's been tough. Air conditioning is a must here. There is no snow to speak of (although last winter, they got about an inch in Scottsdale). It lasted about 10 minutes. Northern AZ, which is where we're moving, gets snow, but it doesn't last all season like it does in Chicago either.

We've got crazier politicians than you can imagine. The governor is one step away from insane. We've got a sheriff who thinks he can do what he wants, whether or not it's legal, and there aren't too many of them that I think are normal. But if you live here, it's one of the crosses we have to bear.

I used to want to move to California (about 35 years ago) but it got so crowded there that now, you couldn't pay me to live there.

I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

3where would love to live Empty Re: where would love to live Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I can't really think of a particular place to live.

I love the spring, summer and a bit of the fall.
I can do without the snow and ice and cold.
I would love temps in the 70's. Can deal with AC but also love to have windows open and smell the beach. sunny

Ocean definitely!! Love the smell, scenery, sounds. It really relaxes me. and the breeze during the summer...
I love to walk on the sand or just walk on the sidewalk, or sitting there, on the wall, watching the ocean waves...so calming
Sitting, on a sunny, warm day reading a book~ or people watching, with a bit of shade and a lite warm breeze..

Is there anywhere on earth like that? I think I am describing my paradise! where would love to live 829809188

Right now I live near the beach. no ocean view, but a 4 minute walk to it. I can smell the ocean, benefit from the sea breeze. But I hate the snow and cold weather in the winter..The coldest I would like it to be is 40-50 degrees!! where would love to live 387840482

any ideas?

4where would love to live Empty Re: where would love to live Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm happy here in The Villages....it's a wonderful community with plenty to occupy a person.

But if I had my 'druthers....I'd have a summer home on the Southern Coast of Maine, a little house built on the cliffs with the ocean pounding the stone around me.

And then we could come to our little villa when it gets too cold and turns bitter in Maine.

Phoenix is not where I'd want to go...I don't mind some heat with a/c but it just gets too hot for too long to suit me.

5where would love to live Empty Re: where would love to live Thu May 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'm born and raised in New Orleans so, of course, I'm prejudiced. It gets really hot for about 6 months of the year but rarely gets too cold (it didn't freeze last winter at all). We have a long growing season but we have bugs (people can't believe I'm afraid of cockroaches and that I live here!), humidity and need A/C for six months of the year at least. Heating costs are low and the cost of living is pretty low, too.

We also have a $75,000 property tax exemption as long as you live in your home six months and a day each year. Taxes are pretty low on top of that, and property is inexpensive compared to other cities in the South.

Brian and I live on the river road in Algiers Point, which is an historic district across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter. Hence, across from our house is the levee (we call it our front lawn that someone else mows). There's a free ferry five blocks away to the French Quarter ($1 for cars) and we can see cruise ships and othr commercial river traffic from our balcony. When the river is rising (like now, it's at 14 feet), we can see the tops of ships pass on the river from our living room! We hear ships horns, and the calliope from the Natchez stamboat when it pases our house twice a day! It's hard to believe that we have huge ships passing within about three hundred yards of our house. People walk, jog and ridse bikes on the levee and we often see people going over the levee with fishing gear, as you can walk right up to the Mississippi!

They're currently making a brick walkway/bicycle route at the top of the levee which will run for several miles, and have installed the "stuff" for an old-fashioned lamp post right in front of our house at the top of the levee. They're going to have benches up there alongside the path and also will have water available up there for people and pets! Brian is retiring two weeks from tomorrow and can't wait to have cofee and read the paper on our balcony. We also see the value of our home rising too, which is icing on the cake.

Food is delicious, seafood is plentiful and reasonably priced, people are terribly friendly and know the value of enjoying life! We are also known as a sportsman's paradise, as you can hunt, fish and camp within 10 or 15 miles of the city. I told you I was prejudiced!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum