Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SO disappointed in a "cooking" site....

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... Empty SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a number of cooking / recipe sites I regularly peruse....once in a while I find something that sounds really interesting to me.

Today I checked out the allrecipes.com site ~ the first showcased "recipe" was such a disappointment to me. It's NOT a recipe.

Here's a link - what do you think?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-Dogs-with-Cheese/Detail.aspx?soid=carousel_0_rotd&prop24=rotd

Barbara101

Barbara101

SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... 2876911673 SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... 2876911673 sounds like a Paula Deen recipe.I can not get over the slop she makes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

but wouldn't you think with a web site name of 'all recipes' it would be a REAL recipe???

Geesh!

NormM

NormM

That is about as interesting as a recipe for a peanut butter sandwich.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't care much for recipes that have canned and packaged things in it but occasionally you will run across one that works. You have to realize that much of America doesn't know any better. Kids are picky and moms are worn out from working at home and outside of the house. Sometimes it is just too easy to open a can. I usually don't like "A Taste of Home" recipes because they usually have canned sauces. Those recipes that don't have canned things are not much better. I usually use Foodily.com, Epicurious, Food & Wine, Saveur. Foodnetwork and a few food bloggers I have run across. Quite a few Junior League recipes are good. I remember seeing someone rave about a recipe where they browned some ground beef with some onions, poured in a can of beef gravy and poured the mess over mashed potatoes. Maybe it tastes fine but it sounds awful. But I am just as guilty. I like Hungry Man Mexican TV dinners and canned tamales. I will even eat that greasy mess they call corned beef that comes in a can.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I like Hungry Man Mexican TV dinners and canned tamales. I will even eat that greasy mess they call corned beef that comes in a can.

SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... 2876911673 Patio Mexican frozen TV or Old el Paso I love you ..I would give a $100 right now for corned beef hash with poached on top right now. SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... 3602300868

NormM

NormM

Hungry Man seems to be the only frozen dinner that has a Mexican meal. All the other ones seem to just have packages of burritos or taquitos.  I like Hungry Man too but mostly because no one else carries a variety of entrees in one package anymore.  Since for the last couple of years, I live half a mile from a couple of really good and authentic Mexican restaurants and a market that sells ready to eat food, as well as a Taco Bell in the same little mall area, I often just go there instead of nuking a Hungry man.  I also like the canned tamales and corned beef even though they don't taste anything like the real thing.  They still taste good.  Making the real things from scratch is way to much time and work.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, I agree we all could/would eat prepared foods. After all, didn't we all grow up and think the most wonderful meal in the world was a TV dinner served in foil and everyone got to rush to set up their metal folding TV trays in the living room??? Got a bunch of childhood memories of stuff I thought was wonderful (to the taste of a 10 yr. old).

We usually had our choice of fried chicken or salisbury steak ~ I think the fried chicken came with mashed potatoes & corn and the salisbury steak came with mashed potatoes & peas and carrots....but I could be mistaken.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Remember when TV dinners came with soup? All I can remember is tomato. Some came with dessert too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That must have been after my time....I don't remember soup in any of them.

My mom would NOT have let us carry an aluminum tray to the living room if there was soup in it.

LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

I could go for one right now lol.I plan on stocking the freezer with fix it fast food.

12SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... Empty Re: SO disappointed in a "cooking" site.... Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:42 pm

NormM

NormM

Pot pies and TV dinners before microwaves are one of the reasons I started cooking after i went out on my own. I figured I could put something together and cook it faster than I could cook something from frozen. It tasted pretty good too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Geepers.... I am still waiting for Sputniks ! AKA Porcupine Meatballs...
The meatballs with the rice sticking out of them. They were a regular in the school cafeteria.
That and a small roll, and green jello with carrot shreds and a dollop of salad dressing on top.
Choice of a chocolate chip cookie, or a dry brownie.
Yuck! All for 23 cents.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum