Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keurig coffeemakers

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:20 pm

NormM

When they first came out I thought they were going to be a fad.  Pretty soon they would be useless and worthless because people would get tired of making only one expensive cup at a time.  I was wrong but it turns out I was kinda right too.  Then they came out with cups so you could use your own coffee and I thought I'd perhaps get one someday.  Cassie and Charlie got one as a wedding present and are going to take it back today.  It seems the one they got won't take regular K cups.  Those kind won't work.  The kind that do have a small selection and the only place that sells them is not a short drive from here.  Keurig was trying to make their OWN coffeemaker obsolete!  But is seems they have discontinued that model but are still selling them while they remain in stock.  Pretty soon, one way or another, people will have a coffeemaker that is useless and worthless.  The newest machines only take the K cups and will NOT accept the cups that will let you make your own coffee.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

2 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Barbara101

Made in China too.Good call on returning it.
I have one , a Bunn. My Cafe..It really does make great coffee.Tea & you can just use the hot water.I use my own grounds.I am not about to buy those overpriced k cups.I saw tea lol lol 12 kcups for $10.,Come on you can buy loads of tea bags for that..I swear people will fall for anything..

3 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:18 pm

bethk

Admin
I bought Dane a Keurig a few years ago because he likes his coffee much stronger than I like mine, and he only wanted one cup on his way out the door to go to work in the morning. I still make my weak, tea like coffee in a pot and drink most of it in the morning.

About a year and a half after I bought the Keurig it stopped working. A friend of mine had the same problem. She found when she returned to Beds, Bath & Beyond that they would replace the Keurig machine, no questions asked, with a new one of the same model. Seems Keurig found there was a 'design fairure' and found it easier to replace defective models instead of dealing with all the bad press that goes with junk.

My second (replacement) Keurig has been going strong for the last two or three years.

4 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:42 pm

cookingirl

I like my keurig. It is easy enough for one person who only has one cup of coffee in the morning.
Easier and faster to heat up water for tea also.. I do use a tea bag...

I stock up on the k-cups, on line, when they go on sale.

It does heat water faster than the stove.

5 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:46 pm

JanaAZ

I read that the Keurig 2.0 was only going to take their own cups and that they were cutting out the ability to use 'off the shelf' cups from other vendors. I was thinking about buying one until I saw that. Their cups are more expensive than others and I didn't want to be locked in with their only choices. Glad I didn't buy one. You can still get the older model that takes all K cups, but the 2.0 was designed to not take them.

6 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Barbara101

Before you buy look at the Bunn My Cafe.The reviews are awesome .In fact I think it rated #1..USA made too. I swore I would not buy single cup maker lol I did not.My DS got one for me..Gosh I love the thing.It has 4 ways to use it.

I only buy kcups when on sale $4.99 for 12 cups.or bogo.I use my reg gd coffee.Makes one mug.Before I had 2 mugs from my pot but having one fresh cup now is all I need. Makes great tea too. I ad fresh filtered water each time, I do want to use water that has been standing..

7 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:57 pm

NormM

They exchanged if for a Keurig that takes regular cups and has some that let you use loose coffee. They put it where I kept my regular coffeemaker and I put mine away. I made one yesterday and thought it was too weak. Since I usually drink about 2 1/2 cups every morning I didn't like the idea of making a new cup every time I wanted a new one then having 1/2 a cup left over. I usually make as much as I want and put it in an insulated carafe. Last night I got my French Press out and ready to go and this morning I heated water in the microwave and made just what I wanted. I'll probably start doing that every morning.

8 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We have been using the Keurig machine for years now.

We had the older ones with the buzz pump that sounded like a thrashing machine to fill the tank from the reservoir.

Now we have the one with the revised quiet pump.

I had one that had a bad mother board, and I tried to get the part from the manufacturer; but they said it was a patented coffee maker, so they would not sell me the board.

I told them, My car is a patented product, but I can still get any part I need for it.

They still refused to sell me the control board. @$$es.

Now with the new machine using only the keurig K cups, I have to see what that change is.

I have two different k-cup adapters. One from Keurig, and one that is an aftermarket one.

Either one has a fiter / strainer that is NOT as fine as the paper fiter / strainer inside the k-cup.

Coffee grounds bypass the adapters in both of them.

Now I cannot wait to see what the change is that prevents using aftermarket k-cups.

I love the fact I could wish for a cup of coffee, and just pop in a k-cup, and get a perfect coffee with no waste like making a 4 cups that will sit there on the warmer and turn rancid.
Plus, we like different strength coffees, and Tina likes the flavored ones. The single serve is the best for us.

I have my machine hooked to fill the reservoir automatically. I made a pumping system that pumps water from the 5 gallon spring water jugs from Tulpehocken Spring Water Co. that we have delivered. We have a water cooler too.

9 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

OK here it is.....
How to defeat the new K-cup keurig 550 machine to accept all brands of K-Cups.
Plus one aftermarket K-cup I have will allow me to use whatever coffee grounds I wish to use, and as long as I tape the logo edge print on the lid holder.

They simply have a basic print reader that reads the rim of the cup to approve a brew.
As far as the carafe cup...that is shape specific, but give it a few day's, and there will be an aftermarket cup for that too!....

Below is the video on how to adapt your machine to use ANY K-Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMR-2CNGgY

10 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:54 pm

NormM

That's really great. I saw there were other videos showing similar methods too. The kids took back the machine that didn't work with regular K cups and got one that did but it is good to know that you can do a work around. I am not going to be using it in any case.

11 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:That's really great. I saw there were other videos showing similar methods too.  The kids took back the machine that didn't work with regular K cups and got one that did but it is good to know that you can do a work around. I am not going to be using it in any case.

Thanks for bringing it to our / my attention Norm.
I am curious to know if the electronic reading is just looking for just the white ring or spot of white reflective?

I may have Tina pick one up and check it out. Then return it! Just for $h _ _s and giggles!

12 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:56 pm

NormM

Keurigs are expensive coffeemakers.  Doesn't it seem a little greedy to want to make more money by making people buy their proprietary cups too?  Cheap Mr. Coffee does alright without having anyone buy special filters.

13 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Keurigs are expensive coffeemakers.  Doesn't it seem a little greedy to want to make more money by making people buy their proprietary cups too?  Cheap Mr. Coffee does alright without having anyone buy special filters.

I thought I heard the mailman honk!...LOL

Yeah! Its like a Monopoly.
Now, I just looked at some k-cups we buy at the store...and the Eight O Clock has the white ring and the Keurig black stamp. So does the Tulley's brand I drink.

Some of the green mountain we have, has no ring, and they I'm sure will not work in the new 555 keurig.

I think Keurig Cut their Nose, to spite their face; if you ask me!
It's like selling a car, and the car only able to work if it has Exxon Gas in the tank.
Or a Dishwasher that will only accept a Magazine cartridge of their soap to work.

14 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:They exchanged if for a Keurig that takes regular cups and has some that let you use loose coffee.  They put it where I kept my regular coffeemaker and I put mine away. I made one yesterday and thought it was too weak.  Since I usually drink about 2 1/2 cups every morning I didn't like the idea of making a new cup every time I wanted a new one then having 1/2 a cup left over.  I usually make as much as I want and put it in an insulated carafe. Last night I got my French Press out and ready to go and this morning I heated water in the microwave and made just what I wanted.  I'll probably start doing that every morning.

The last law firm I worked for bought a Keurig.  Since it was a very small firm, I pretty much did everything, including ordering the kitchen supplies.  When the Queen bought the Keurig, I warned her how expensive it would be, even when compared to the place I mail-ordered our coffee and chicory from.  Even when you buy the K-cups in bulk or on sale, they're still expensive ($4.99 for 12 is still about $.42 a cup).  

Though I enjoyed a flavored coffee once in a while, I found the coffee wayyy too weak for me.  Most people down here make coffee and chicory and they make it pretty strong.  If we can see the bottom of the cup, it's too weak for us.  

Also, sometimes we have a big cup of coffee and sometimes we have a smaller one.  Our cups are big but I don't always fill them up all the way.  We heat our cups in the microwave in the morning prior to pouring the coffee inside, and sometimes a cup a bit more than half full is perfect so it doesn't get cold before we finish it.  On another morning, I'll make a full cup full (about 13 oz.) and gulp it down so fast I surprise even me.  

Though I understand how the Keurig is good for some who don't like more than a cup or so of not-too-strong coffee, it's not a good match for us either, Norm.

15 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm

NormM

I have tried it a few times with even the smallest cup it is too weak of me too. Cassie likes big mugs but I prefer smaller ones so my coffee does not get cold before i refill it.

I made coffee with a paper filter in this cone and this coffeepot before Mr. Coffee was invented. It has been put away for over 35 years and now it is back in use again. I can keep it warm on the stove top or pour the coffee into a thermos.

I lost a coffee pot just like this one in a fire in 1969. A couple years later i saw this in a gift shop window in a town 400 miles away while visiting my mom. The lady who sold it to me was Preacher Roe's wife. Preacher Roe was a pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers and pitched in a World Series in the 50's. He was the brother of my aunts husband. When I bought it, it came with a tray and cream and sugar bowl. I remarked that my original sugar bowl had a lid but I guess they stopped making it. A year later the lid came in the mail. She said they found it among packing materials in the basement.

16 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I like a light blend to semi medium.
We experimented with the different coffee's and strengths.

DD likes Green mountain lake and lodge...a bold blend.
Her BF likes GMountain Black Diamond. That is a strong coffee.

Tina likes French vanilla decaff.

I like Tully's breakfast medium blend, or my favorite .... Krispy Kreme Doughnut blend Smooth Blend.

I need at least one regular coffee in the AM ... Just so I don't get a headache from caffeine withdrawal.LOL...

Before the keurig machine.... any coffee we made that stayed on the warmer for over 1/2 hour, we trashed it.

Another great medium blend is Maxwell House! And, everytime I drink it, I lift my head back, and show Tina holding the cup overhead, and wait till the "Last Drop" drips into my mouth! ...
Then I say,"Ahhhhh!" "Good to the last drop!" ( Their Famous Saying in the commercials on TV!")

Tina say's, "Hon, You are ready to be in the Circus at the "Funny Farm"!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYWJ8xdKYs

17 Re: Keurig coffeemakers on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have tried it a few times with even the smallest cup it is too weak of me too.  Cassie likes big mugs but I prefer smaller ones so my coffee does not get cold before i refill it.

I made coffee with a paper filter in this cone and this coffeepot before Mr. Coffee was invented. It has been put away for over 35 years and now it is back in use again.  I can keep it warm on the stove top or pour the coffee into a thermos.

I lost a coffee pot just like this one in a fire in 1969.  A couple years later i saw this in a gift shop window in a town 400 miles away while visiting my mom.  The lady who sold it to me was Preacher Roe's wife.  Preacher Roe was a pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers and pitched in a World Series in the 50's.  He was the brother of my aunts husband.  When I bought it, it came with a tray and cream and sugar bowl.  I remarked that my original sugar bowl had a lid but I guess they stopped making it. A year later the lid came in the mail.  She said they found it among packing materials in the basement.

Holy yumpin yimminies....Is there a Genie In that Pot??

That is some perc-olator / drip-olator Norm-olator invention! bounce LOL

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]