Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
cookingirl
Crybaby
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 14]

276DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That is an interesting way of cooking the bird. I have never seen it done like that. Tell me more.

What size bird and when will it be done?

Is it stuffed?

Did you bring it to room temp before putting it in the oven?

Do you eventually unwrap it to brown it? What is the oven temp when you do that?

Betty next door always did her turkey like that. I never could imagine it, but we tried it and will never use any other method.

Slow and Low

21 Lb. turkey..internally salted...then. stuffed with bread stuffing.

I add a heel of the bread or a hard roll dry to the opening and tie the legs together

I oil and salt and pepper the bird heavily , In a roasting pan that has carrots, celery , and onion slices. I set a small piece of non stick foil on the breast, then wrap and crimp all the edges with heavy duty foil tightly wrapped. I poke a little hole on the top. ( pencil size )

Stick it in the oven at 225 / 230 degrees at 12 midnight....

We will eat early at 2/ 2:30 so I wake up at 5, and suck out the excess drippings and recover. The last hour....( 12:00 / 12:30 ) I open the foil and uncovered 1 hour more at raising the oven temp. to 350 degrees. At 1:00 it's out to rest, and I get to sample the skin crust....LOL...

Not that much difference in time even with a 16 lb bird. Maybe an hour less time.

One can tell with a tug on the leg and it will start to pull out of the socket joint easily....

As a matter of fact.... I am in the ring now, to have the battle with the bird

277DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out to eat last night with the kids and Lyn & Bill. It was Lyn's birthday. Had a lovely meal at one of the local country clubs.

278DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy. I wonder how long a 12 to 14lb bird would take?

279DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's our Thanksgiving dinner, 2014.  I don't think we over did it ~ but there sure is a lot of food for 6 people.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Thanksgiving2014

Green bean casserole, carved turkey, dressing, mashed potato casserole, Brussel sprouts w/bacon & shallot, green beans, orange jello cabbage/carrot/pineapple salad (decorated w/clementine segments by GD), gravy ~ cranberry relish, whole cranberry sauce w/orange segments and the giblet gravy was on the table as well as the Fresh Market knot rolls.

280DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It looks lovely! So much food and so little stomach. Our dinner was turkey, mashed, yam casserole, dressing and green been casserole. Dessert was a spiced pumpkin trifle which no one had room to eat. There was just the three of us and a ton of leftovers. It hit 90 today. Not a good day to stuff on turkey but we did anyway. My DH groaned "I've eaten and I can't get up". Tomorrow is a trip to the beach to bake our brains with turkey and dressing sandwiches to keep up our strength.

281DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Jimmy. I wonder how long a 12 to 14lb bird would take?

Let's See.... The 21 lb stuffed turkey took in at 12 midnight, and done well and tender, but not crisped skin yet...at 11:30 ish...
Then I removed the foil and raised the temp to 350 so it would brown.
About 45 minutes, ir was nice and crisp, but the legs (drums ) were not hard so that they could not be sliced. So at 1215, it was removed to set. I just covered it loosely and DIL and DD were slicing crisp skin off in the mean time.
We ate at 2 pm. Everyone said the turkey was delicious, and not dry, and I ate some breast....I was really glad it was done enough for me to eat it.

Just for chits and giggles, I stuck a thermometer in the center of the brest, and it read 193ºF

We did a 13 lb stuffed turkey the same way, and we were to eat at 2:30... and I remember putting it in at 5:00 AM .... It took 8 / 8.5 hours. at just below the 250ºF setpoint. So say 235 approx.

The reason we eat early, is because the 93 yo aunt and uncle need to get home before dark.

One great thing, was Tina's Uncle and Aunt, had folding chairs ( 8 of them ) brand new in their attic, and they gave them to us today. They were the old made of Oak Wood Folding Chairs.... Strong as heck. From the 1950's.
Still had the price stickers... $2.98 on them. We needed three of them today.

282DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Here's our Thanksgiving dinner, 2014.  I don't think we over did it ~ but there sure is a lot of food for 6 people.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Thanksgiving2014

Green bean casserole, carved turkey, dressing, mashed potato casserole, Brussel sprouts w/bacon & shallot, green beans, orange jello cabbage/carrot/pineapple salad (decorated w/clementine segments by GD), gravy ~ cranberry relish, whole cranberry sauce w/orange segments and the giblet gravy was on the table as well as the Fresh Market knot rolls.

Just seeing what you have there Beth,,,, I'm sure you all enjoyed it!

We did OK too... Tina has the turkey bones and stuff in a big pot, making turkey soup for the kids.

283DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Found these on the TinaMoms Camera.

DD making the pressed cookies for Thanksgiving.
She just does such a great job baking.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 F5KUoS

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 UaAMjO

284DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:49 am

NormM

NormM

We had dinner at my sister's house. I have offered to have it at my house a couple times but finally decided it was better for me if Linda always had it her way. Then after dinner Linda suggested we start having Thanksgiving Dinner rotate between the families and I got it for next year. I don't have nearly enough seating for everyone but I have a year to figure out what to do about it.

I am making a turkey dinner for Cassie tomorrow, her day off.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

285DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am alive.Thats about it.I think I can keep some soup down so I am going to order some won ton & maybe some egg foo young later.

Worst 2 weeks in my life & it is not over..

Just checking in..

286DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

A walking corpse? Been there. You have my deepest sympathies. The cough is a raging holocaust. I nearly lived in the bathtub when I had it. For some reason a hot bath for the chills and fever made me feel better. It temporarily eased the chills and aches. I was taking about 5 baths a day.

287DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:A walking corpse? Been there. You have my deepest sympathies. The cough is a raging holocaust. I nearly lived in the bathtub when I had it. For some reason a hot bath for the chills and fever made me feel better. It temporarily eased the chills and aches. I was taking about 5 baths a day.
I can not stand up long enough to take shower.I don't even care.. affraid

288DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Definitely don't take a bath. You might pass out. Got anybody to help you?

289DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

no but this will not happen again

290DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I am alive.Thats about it.I think I can keep some soup down so I am going to order some won ton & maybe some egg foo young later.

Worst 2 weeks in my life & it is not over..

Just checking in..

Oh! Poor Barb!....
May the gods of healing bless you and make you better quick!

291DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are looking to make something for supper.
I want sloppy Joe's....

Then again, Tina mentioned Thin minuet steak sandwiches with cheese and onions a peppers fried.

In order for that, one of us has to go down and check the freezer for them.

We are as lazy @$$ed as it comes today. I am so lazy today, I am typing with one hand.

Well.... Time to go see where the minute steaks are buried in the freezer.

292DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had the leftovers for a late lunch. The kids are at the airport waiting to board and go back to icy Indianapolis. Even though it was way too cool (by OUR standards) the whole time they were here, they still thought it was nice to be able to be outside in the sunshine. The grandkids loved riding in the golf cart....they'll be back. lol

293DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We had the leftovers for a late lunch.  The kids are at the airport waiting to board and go back to icy Indianapolis.  Even though it was way too cool (by OUR standards) the whole time they were here, they still thought it was nice to be able to be outside in the sunshine.  The grandkids loved riding in the golf cart....they'll be back.  lol

It's nice to have the kids come over, and even stay, but in those last moments of
bye bye's...and hugs and kisses.....It's a relief to see them go home!
We love our kids and enjoy them both. Jimmy is so quiet, he sits and watches sports, and he is never boistress and loud. Now Maria on the other hand...she is all hyped up, argumentative with Tina, and Tina cannot sometimes wait until she goes home. When Tina gets tired.... ho ho ho...that's it. Don't even talk to her.

Anyway... DD put up and decorated the tree. It's in the dining room in the back corner where the Tina mommy Victorian tree would go! yippy yay!....no Victorian tree this year!!!.... happy happy me!

294DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know it sounds strange ~ just a couple days after 'Turkey Day' ~ but I made a roast chicken breast with carrots & onions. I wanted to use up the last of the mashed potatoes, dressing & gravy. It seemed like the best idea at the time.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 RoastChickenwithVegetables

Somehow, leftovers didn't taste like left over food....

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 112914

295DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:45 pm

NormM

NormM

Since Cassie had to work on Thursday. I made our turkey dinner today.  Dessert was pumpkin pie with a pecan praline and whipped cream topping.

We had Thomas Keller mashed potatoes, Alton Brown green bean casserole-next year we are going back to the Campbell recipe. apple, pear, onion, cranberry chutney with cinnamon and cloves, cornbread stuffing with dried cranberries, turkey gravy , dinner rolls, yams with dried cherries and maple syrup, and wilted lettuce.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 DSCN1966_zps168db075

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 DSCN1970_zpsa0163c17

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 DSCN1969_zps08f2732e

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 DSCN1973_zpse338e95a

Last edited by NormM on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

296DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The turkey looks well done with plenty of crispy skin.

The casserole ( blue cobalt ) looks like sweet potatoes. What is in that?
Looks great!....Our sweet taters were stringy. I didn't mind; because I love stringy believe it or not. I just love the strings on the banana peels. I pull them off and eat them. Even love celery cooked long, and I peel and eat the strings. Tina and the kids hate that.

297DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 am

NormM

NormM

That is baby yams (sweet potatoes) with dried cherries and maple syrup.  The recipe is here

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

Cassie said it was her new favorite side dish.

298DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I know it sounds strange ~ just a couple days after 'Turkey Day' ~ but I made a roast chicken breast with carrots & onions.  I wanted to use up the last of the mashed potatoes, dressing & gravy.  It seemed like the best idea at the time.

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 RoastChickenwithVegetables

Somehow, leftovers didn't taste like left over food....

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 112914

Looks like a new made meal to me!

Thank god the kids took a lot of the turkey. Tina's turkey soup went over big time with the kids.

The turket does not look like turkey leftover when Tina eats it.
She slivers the turkey...throws mashed potatoes and stuffing on top, and ladles gravy on that. Hets it in microwave, then mashes and mushes it all together. That's the way she likes the leftover turkey.

299DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:That is baby yams (sweet potatoes) with dried cherries and maple syrup.  The recipe is here

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

Cassie said it was her new favorite side dish.

Thanks Norm. Tina uses maple syrup and brown sugar. and a stick of butter.
The cherries added sound great....

300DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your table looks beautiful. That's something I miss here ~ a table large enough to accomodate more than 4 people. I'd like a larger one but Mr. Amazing thinks the one we have is just right for our house, the chairs match the counter height stools...yada yada yada. One of these days I'll probably just buy what I want and let the smoke settle. He'll get over it (I hope....). LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum