Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Going visiting

+4
cookingirl
bethk
JanaAZ
Barbara101
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Going visiting Empty Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Going to Delaware to my DS for Thanksgiving.He asked really nice lol
Only thing is ,, I hate hate hate to fly.Then my babies have never been out of my site & then Ms Cat??? The thought of them caged makes me ill.

Sooooooooooo I could drive BUT the thought of the traffic around Wash Dc then Baltimore is giving me nightmares just thinking about it.Oh & lets not forget the stinking LONG LONG bridge..I had to look away & not even look at the water & traffic on it much less DRIVE a auto over it. Going visiting 2855670339 

This is becoming a royal nightmare already. Going visiting 2855670339

2Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:46 pm

JanaAZ

Do you know anyone who could house sit for your fur babies? When we used to travel a lot, we found a lady who would stay at our house while we were gone. It was so much better for our dogs. She happened to work at our vet's office and she was very reasonable.

Can't help you with the bridge. One thought, though. When we were coming back from Vancouver to Seattle a few weeks ago, we took an Amtrak train. My husband is a train fanatic and I thought he would enjoy the ride a lot. I was right. I, on the other hand, didn't enjoy it as much since I was motion sick. Next time I'll use my patch or take something before I get on a train.

3Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, have you checked out a bus service (Greyhound)? I'm not sure about being allowed to take the fur-balls with you, but it's worth a check.

I'd suggest asking the 17 (or is he 18 now?) year old to drive you.....but that's probably the scariest thought of all!

4Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Is there someone from your Vet's office who could help take care of the crew?
I hear some people have found one of the Vet Techs from the office who like to do this sort of stuff.

I have never done so myself, but I belong to a couple of cat forums and these are suggestions that have come up.

Or you next door neighbor?  I mean, I remember you saying that you do share your cooking/baking with her.....

just some thoughts....

5Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Or you next door neighbor? I mean, I remember you saying that you do share your cooking/baking with her..

thought about that. For the cat only. Just don't know..My son said Mom you do not need to go that route get off 95 at Richmond & go to Norfolk & take the 23 mile long TUNNEL>>>> ya right. That seems worse.

I get car sick when driving a long a tree line lololol.

Oh I checked airline no way am I paying over 500. sorry..

I have a headache over this..

Oh & Josh is to busy to mess with anything his grandma wants. Going visiting 2855670339

6Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I hope you find the best solution Barbara, for me spending time with family is worth the hassle, esp on Thanksgiving Very Happy oh my.. Thanksgiving day is around the corner.. time flies

7Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If I didn't have my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren coming for Thanksgiving I'd offer to come and drive you.....

So....if you want to wait until AFTER the holiday ~ well, it's a thought.

8Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

well it gets to be really messed up.$600 to board.Then $500 to update on all 3 of them shots.. affraid Going visiting 1450907917 Going visiting 1562938848 Going visiting 1562938848 Going visiting 652761166

I should have freaking drove.......Chris sent me a airline ticket..Now I am the one going to pay..

9Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boat!! .... Have you ever thought about a boat that goes up the coast??

Sometimes there are yaht clubs that you may be able to find some nice person that is sailing up north, and you could help pay for the fuel? .... You can take dramamine to relax you in case the trip gets bouncy ...
If the captain happens to be a medical doctor, maybe he could put you to sleep like in the O/R!
Then he can give you a shot to wake you up when you get near your sons place!
Sounds Good Huh??? Well...Maybe in the "Twilight Zone" right??

I'm not making fun Barb! I HATE to fly myself. I never had a problem, but later in life, I developed Vertigo! On a plane or ship, I get dizzy and have to lay down in the fetal position to stop the dizzy feeling! Then, with anxiety I get diarrhea and that would be a disaster. I suck as a traveler.
Tina on the other hand, will fly / drive / train anytime and anywhere. Never on water though! She was a flood victim when a little girl, and was one of those people on the roof of the 2 story house waiting for row boats to rescue her and her mother! She panics near water.  So water is out!

10Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

me too with the vertigo.I can get sick from just driving down a tree lined road.I will not take dramamine.Knocks me right out.What I do take is Ginger capsules.That works great.

This whole thing is a nightmare,I wish I had just got in auto & drove. No vet bill & no boarding to worry about & pay for.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,

Then I am worried sick about going thro that security line.I just can NOT stand for over 10 minutes with my back.I will have to buy slip on shoes.No way am I am going to tie shoes.
They do not send tickets,you have to do it on a machine yourself.Chris said I can go to the counter with my info.I do not have any way to make copy of it. Nor do I have a smartphone.i had to research what I can take in a carry on.Ghezz. PIA.you are allowed a qt size ONLY zip lock bag with 4oz size.Then my meds & insulin separate ,that has to be kept cold.Took forever to find a small size ice pack & then I am worried about my insulin freezing  Going visiting 1450907917 Going visiting 1450907917  I carry water with me most of the time.Can not do that.

I will have to walk far to the gate, heck some days I can not walk to my mailbox.

This whole thing is making me sick..Driving would have been so much better. Oh & then I am landing in wash dc...

Oh & I can not drive in the dark so I will call a taxi I guess AND 2hrs before flight will be 5am so that means 30 min drive or so 4am. get up get ready looks like 3am for me.. Going visiting 1450907917

then I get to it all twice..

Next time if there is one I will DRIVE>>>>>>>>

11Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:35 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barb, keep calm....
You end up having a great time!
Is there a local car service, similar to a taxi service, or a group on discount on a local limo, which you can use?
Is there a senior citizen ride which you can set up now and use?
There is one up here in Boston, which is affiliated with the "T" (train).
Once you get to the airport, you can request a wheelchair or a courtesy person to accompany you. I know plenty of people who fly, and are handicapped or elderly and the airport is very accommodating.
As far as your medication--insulin; I would call the airline and ask them. There has to be some special accomadations for this.
Take a deep breathe--it will work out.

Are you boarding your pets? They will be fine. I would ask my Vet for a reliable boarding kennel.

yes, the small size containers are horrible; But you are not flying around the world. You are not going to a remote locations where you cannot purchase things, or send you son to pick up what you need.

You can purchase bottled water on the plane..expensive, but you just have to make up your mind to do it...
Just bite the bullet!!

You will be fine!

Just go along with the flow....

xxoo Going visiting 911454047

Cyn

12Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Maybe it would be easier to have DS come to your house.

13Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I think I am going to drive..I will have a new auto.Gas is cheap now.I can take what I want.No huge vet bill.No huge boarding bill. NO Hassle...
will lose my air ticket but it was only $112.no big deal there.

gosh I feel better already...

14Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I think I am going to drive..I will have a new auto.Gas is cheap now.I can take what I want.No huge vet bill.No huge boarding bill. NO Hassle...

What kind of car did you buy, Barbara? Even if you don't keep the satellite radio, you will love driving to your son's with it, as most cars come with 90 days or so free.

Flying is such a hassle today that if you have the time, driving seems a lot easier. Just be careful and make sure your cell phone is charged up and make sure you've got your car charger for your phone with you. An extra cell phone battery wouldn't be a bad idea either...

15Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Crybaby wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I think I am going to drive..I will have a new auto.Gas is cheap now.I can take what I want.No huge vet bill.No huge boarding bill. NO Hassle...

What kind of car did you buy, Barbara?  Even if you don't keep the satellite radio, you will love driving to your son's with it, as most cars come with 90 days or so free.  

Flying is such a hassle today that if you have the time, driving seems a lot easier.  Just be careful and make sure your cell phone is charged up and make sure you've got your car charger for your phone with you.  An extra cell phone battery wouldn't be a bad idea either...

I have my eye on a Nissan Altima.I have had a suv for 12yrs.Love the open back for hauling stuff.Holds a lot.I thought I would never go back to a sedan.

I have lost sleep over deciding lol.
leather vs cloth.Black,white or red??? no gray silver..No dark interior..
I tell ya they have so much stuff I know I will not use or even want but comes with so..I have been driving for 50yrs affraid Going visiting 2855670339 Going visiting 652761166 and have never used cruise control.

I do not drive at night at all.I have a moon roof & maybe opened it twice..

I drive so little now that even a cd does not have time to finish lol.I hardly turn on the radio.However on my trip that does sound good.I like the thought of books on 'tape' I hope they come in cd ??? Idk..

12 hr drive..Molly hates to ride so meds of some sort for her.

Going on Wed to look see.  OH & then I can not decide if I want to lease new. or buy used ..I figure this will be my last auto..So...

16Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I have my eye on a Nissan Altima.I have had a suv for 12yrs.Love the open back for hauling stuff.Holds a lot.I thought I would never go back to a sedan.

I tell ya they have so much stuff I know I will not use or even want but comes with so..I have been driving for 50yrs affraid Going visiting 2855670339 Going visiting 652761166 and have never used cruise control.

I drive so little now that even a cd does not have time to finish lol.I hardly turn on the radio.However on my trip that does sound good.I like the thought of books on 'tape' I hope they come in cd ??? Idk..

Going on Wed to look see.  OH & then I can not decide if I want to lease new. or buy used ..I figure this will be my last auto..So...

Well, you probably only haul groceries now so the trunk of an Altima will be just as easy to load and unload. Personally, I don't like white cars -- to me, all the style of a car is invisible when it's white. I just read the most popular car colors are silver, black and white. Black with tan interior is pretty sexy, as is red with tan. I love silver, too, but obviously, you're not a fan.

Cruise control is great on the highway but nothing is good if it makes you nervous or uncomfortable. But it allows you to change your position in the seat, which is always good on an extended drive.

I love our moon roof but I only use it in cool weather. Brian uses it a lot more but he has a lot less hair that blows around than me (grin). When I smoked, it was heaven as it sucked the smoke out of the car when propped up even though I had the AC on.

As little as you drive, I think leather vs. cloth is simply a matter of what you prefer. I like 'em both but I think leather wears better -- maybe I'm wrong but it just seems like it to me.

Books on tape come on CDs. Do try the satellite radio if it comes with the car -- they have 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. stations and my favorite is Classic Vinyl!

I've never leased a car but Brian is hard on a car so leasing is really not for us. Plus, I like those years with no car note. There are lots of different leases so make sure you read over the lease documents very carefully.

Good luck and enjoy your ROAD TRIP!!!!

17Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Leases can be very nasty if you don't know what you are doing. You can get gouged on the interest and other things. My sister and her family always lease all of their cars. They just got their 23 year old daughter an Infinity Q50. Must be nice. When they turned in the other car, the dealership tried to fine them for all kinds of things. They got charged $100 because a tire that they replaced did not match the brand of the other 3 tires. A scratch here, a scratch there, ka-ching! I hate car dealers. I think they are the scum of the earth.

18Going visiting Empty Re: Going visiting Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

What kind of car did you buy, Barbara?  Even if you don't keep the satellite radio, you will love driving to your son's with it, as most cars come with 90 days or so free.  

Flying is such a hassle today that if you have the time, driving seems a lot easier.  Just be careful and make sure your cell phone is charged up and make sure you've got your car charger for your phone with you.  An extra cell phone battery wouldn't be a bad idea either...

I have my eye on a Nissan Altima.I have had a suv for 12yrs.Love the open back for hauling stuff.Holds a lot.I thought I would never go back to a sedan.

Barb... the books on tape do come on a cd. Tina has them. The car is a 1997, but it had the cd plyer in the trunk. It was not installed I guess when I bought the car 2nd hand.

It has the tape casettes.... and then I put the trunk cd player that holds 10 cd's. Tina uses them both.
Me.... I hate talking on the radio. Tina loves talk radio.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum