Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What to eat when you're hot

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What to eat when you're hot Empty What to eat when you're hot Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is hot right now and we are not able to turn on the air conditioner until late in the afternoon. It is too hot to cook or eat but I am expected to put something on the table. What is good for hot days. It was 105 yesterday.

2What to eat when you're hot Empty Re: What to eat when you're hot Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Why can you not turn on your air? It is still in the 90 here.I would drop over if I had no cool air in my house.

3What to eat when you're hot Empty Re: What to eat when you're hot Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Since my DH got laid off we have to live on the cheap as much as we can. Last month my electric bill doubled when I only had the air on for 4 hours for 3 days. So we don't turn on the air until it hits 90 inside the house or I feel like I am going to get sick, whatever comes first.

4What to eat when you're hot Empty Re: What to eat when you're hot Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'd stick with salads....just have the stuff ready in the refrigerator for when you want to put it together.

Wash & wrap your lettuce in a linen towel (or paper towels, whatever)
Have eggs hard cooked and shelled, ready to go
cut up whatever vegetables you have
add another protein, say, poached chicken or a rotisserie if they are on sale, canned tuna...we like left over London Broil or Flank Steak (always purchased on sale...), canned beans....lots of choices.

Salad dressings made from pantry items ~ tastes so much better than store bought.

5What to eat when you're hot Empty Re: What to eat when you're hot Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Mixed bean salad, tuna salad or egg salad (either sandwiches with lettuce and tomato or on top of lettuce with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side), grilled meat and coleslaw or bean salad for a side, tomato salad, cold stuffed tomatoes, cold chicken that you grilled the day before, cold fried chicken (if you can afford to buy it already fried from someplace), or cold roasted chicken that you purchase from the grocery (normally pretty cheap) with salad sides.

Macaroni salad is good, too, Bug. If you put enough ham chunks in it, it could serve as an entree.

Sometimes groceries have specials, too, on stuff about to go past its "sell by" date, though everything is good for a lot longer. This is true even in the deli section of most stores. If you have a grill, you can always cook meat on the grill and if it's too hot to eat it like that, chill it for the next day.

When it's really hot, I don't have much of an appetite. But you're so tiny, you probably have to eat something or you'll feel weak. I like cold soups, too, but not everyone does. I made some celery soup a couple of weeks ago and had it hot that night and cold the next day for lunch. It was delish.

I hope your houseguest can help with your expenses, too, especially since your husband was laid off. So sorry you're having trouble right now; I hope your husband gets a job soon and I'll add you both to my prayers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum