Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Night Blooming Cereus

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Night Blooming Cereus on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:13 pm

bethk

Admin
Poor Dane. His FAVORITE plant, the one I threatened to pour salt water on because I thought it was unruly and ugly....well, it's blooming. It has more blooms than it's EVER before had. It's aptly named "Night Blooming Cereus".

And HE'S in Toledo and not here to witness it.

That's probably not so terrible because the dumb thing only blooms at midnight or so. By morning the bloom is already starting to wilt, and by afternoon it's just a hanging spent blob of white.

I didn't realize it was ready to pop a bud last night and didn't notice until first light this morning. So, I took some pics so at least he'll know I wasn't kidding when I said it was full of buds.

2 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm

bethk

Admin
Dane was happy (for once in his life....). His night blooming cereus had 11 blooms one night. It's bloomed a number of times in August, September and October....

3 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:38 am

Crybaby

I love those plants!

We were in the hospital recently for my monthly checkup and while waiting, I found myself staring at this beautiful shiny plant in one of the schedulers' cubicles. It was so pretty. Brian is very impatient while waiting so he went to the food court to get a drink (this hospital is like a city, with 500 physicians alone) and, of course, I was called in while he was gone.

When I came out, he told me he'd asked the woman about the plant I liked. He said when he spoke up, three other women in the waiting room said, "I've been looking at that plant, too, and wondering what it was." I asked if I could go read the tag in the plant and she smiled and said of course. It was a ZZ Plant and the woman told me you could get it at Home Depot Needs a lot of light (it's an indoor plant) and has very shiny leaves -- almost looks like a succulent. Brian went to Home Depot two days later and bought me one -- it was $19.95. Very pretty. He bought a beautiful shiny navy blue pottery pot for me to transplant it into but, alas, he bought too small a pot. Even though he paid $20 for the pot, I'm going to keep it to put something else in it for the living room. I really like the look of a lot of indoor plants, especially ones that are a decent size. I had a large, decorative plastic terra cotta-colored pot that I'm painting copper with Rustoleum to transplant it into so it would look nice in the living room. It will also minimize the weight of the plant, which is in a pot about 14 inches deep.

Just FYI if anyone wants to check out the plant!

4 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Imelda HL

our Cereus, lots of flower this year, even until now, the weather is much cooler, there still some blooming.. this pic was taken at 5.30 am last September before my morning walk and after I got home an hour later, it wilted

5 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:27 pm

bethk

Admin
Gorgeous! It's such a shame the blooms don't last any longer than a few hours.

6 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Niagara Visitor

Is that the one called The Queen of the Night???? I have one which had one blossom about 2 years ago. I also have one that blooms a deep pink and get blossoms on there two or three times a year, but the white has only had one blossom.

Any hints as to how to fertilize etc.???

7 Re: Night Blooming Cereus on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:38 pm

bethk

Admin
Dane just gives it some Miracle Grow a couple times a year. I don't have a clue what variety it is.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum